You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pancake Day

Oh Buoy

So you seve it with semi-automatic weapons?

Ha! I missed this one, have some rep.

Speaking of guns Mrs G's father recently included me in a group text (mostly made up of Mrs G's cousins) to make arrangement to go and shoot their guns. He was all excited about the custom semi-automatic weapon he had just taken delivery of, and he wanted to put it through its paces asap. Everyone in the group was weighing in on the various weapons they were going to bring.

After suffering through a barrage of inane messages, I politely contacted him and asked him to remove me from the group, as I wasn't interested in guns. I might as well have said please remove me from the group as I want to play with my dolls and make up that day. It was a significant culture clash and I felt like I had somehow been dragged into a Trump rally or something.

From this day forward I expect them to look at me sideways at extended family gatherings.

The strange part about this is Mrs G's father is very highly educated. He has a PhD, is published and has taught at university level, both in England and over here in America, before going into the world of business. This messes with the box I want to put the gun-toting community into. I want all of them to be uncouth oiks, but that's not really the case. Gun culture is an odd business. Still, it's not something I'm going to participate in.

Oh, and thin pancakes with a bit of sugar and lemon, just like I had as a kid!

• Upvote 1

Ha! I missed this one, have some rep.

Speaking of guns Mrs G's father recently included me in a group text (mostly made up of Mrs G's cousins) to make arrangement to go and shoot their guns. He was all excited about the custom semi-automatic weapon he had just taken delivery of, and he wanted to put it through its paces asap. Everyone in the group was weighing in on the various weapons they were going to bring.

After suffering through a barrage of inane messages, I politely contacted him and asked him to remove me from the group, as I wasn't interested in guns. I might as well have said please remove me from the group as I want to play with my dolls and make up that day. It was a significant culture clash and I felt like I had somehow been dragged into a Trump rally or something.

From this day forward I expect them to look at me sideways at extended family gatherings.

The strange part about this is Mrs G's father is very highly educated. He has a PhD, is published and has taught at university level, both in England and over here in America, before going into the world of business. This messes with the box I want to put the gun-toting community into. I want all of them to be uncouth oiks, but that's not really the case. Gun culture is an odd business. Still, it's not something I'm going to participate in.

Oh, and thin pancakes with a bit of sugar and lemon, just like I had as a kid!

The curse of the WhatsApp group, eh? One of my neighbours set one up to share neighbourhood security tye stuff and we were happy to join in but the longer it has gone on the poorer my opinion has become of previously, seemingly decent folk. The amount of inane tripe some people can spout is truly dispiriting

WhatsApp groups always start off with good intentions, but it isn't long before they get hijacked by people staking a claim for Archbishop of Banterbury.

I'm in one for the Sunday League team I'm on the committee for. The gaffer set it up for purpose of posting news about fixtures, possible absences, training info etc, and it didn't take long for it to descend. Shite memes and videos, lads posting pics of their poos. Any worthwhile information posted in any group inevitably gets swallowed up in a sea of shite.

I've had to mute the footy one for my own sanity. I can only assume there must be a lot of people out there living out sad existences.

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

Didn't even realise it was pancake day and made some quick and easy American style ones for breakfast. They were very good but will make sure I do the proper sort later, may even try my hand at a Galette

IMG_20190305_093216.jpg

29 minutes ago, Elite said:

Pancake day can go fuck itself.

Repped, this is the funniest thing I've read on here for days.

I'm getting a t-shirt made up.

With 'It's nearly as bad as fucking Christmas' written on the back.

• Upvote 1