You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

An even bigger "death star" that gets its charge from devouring suns - it's absolutely ridiculous.

It has precedent in the Star Wars universe. Something in Knights of the Old Republic called the "Star Forge" that uses the power of a star to build an army.

Yup.

If it's the first ever star wars film you've seen then it would be a good film. But as a continuation of the saga it's a mess. An even bigger "death star" that gets its charge from devouring suns - it's absolutely ridiculous. How awesome would it have been to have been some sort of dark side Force power that had been harnessed instead? The possibilities were endless yet they decide to rehash the death star. Lazy and nonsensical.

And people giving it 9/10, 10/10. Embarrassing.

You're genuinely embarrassed by people enjoying a film? Seriously? Well in that case, allow to respond to your patronising shite with some of my own: I feel really sorry for anyone who can't just enjoy a cracking piece of entertainment for what it is.
  • Upvote 7

You're genuinely embarrassed by people enjoying a film? Seriously? Well in that case, allow to respond to your patronising shite with some of my own: I feel really sorry for anyone who can't just enjoy a cracking piece of entertainment for what it is.

My first line states that if you've never seen the previous films then yes, it would be a good film to see. I've acknowledged it is entertaining. I'm entitled to point out that as a follow on to episode 6, which it is meant to be, it's a mess. It's like Microsoft Vista after XP. TFA just isn't a 9 or 10/10 film. Look at the list of 9/10 films on IMDB and can you honestly say TFA is in the same league as them? It clearly isn't and to suggest otherwise is a little embarrassing. I don't give a fuck if you think that's patronising - I don't intend it to be. Anyhow, it's my opinion. I'm not trying to change anyone's perception of the film.

Yup.

If it's the first ever star wars film you've seen then it would be a good film. But as a continuation of the saga it's a mess. An even bigger "death star" that gets its charge from devouring suns - it's absolutely ridiculous. How awesome would it have been to have been some sort of dark side Force power that had been harnessed instead? The possibilities were endless yet they decide to rehash the death star. Lazy and nonsensical.

And people giving it 9/10, 10/10. Embarrassing.

The whole idea of a Death Star getting its charge from devouring Suns is "absolutely ridiculous" but getting its power from the "force" is less so?

Isn't the whole idea really ridiculous? You know like spaceships firing lasers in space, aliens and believing in the force as an actual thing?

It's a story that is bound to have plot holes and ridiculous sections. It's a sci-if fantasy for crying out loud.

If people want to give it a 9 or 10 after having seen the originals, like myself. Then so what. I felt it deserved that score because I came out of it feeling like I had just watched he originals as a 4 year old. Fucking boss.

What is embarrassing, is people moaning about the film that was only ever meant to get the 'franchise' back on track. If it was to cover everything, then there would be more than 3 more episodes.

• Upvote 8

Vader wasn't physically able to remove his mask without being in his meditation chamber as he would have died. He did also look like a Werthers' Original advert on a burns ward when he did, so probably wouldn't have had the same impact on the troops. Ren's mask performs a different function altogether - I assume it's to do with the Knights of Ren.

On second viewing I noticed that Ren left his helmet on the bridge after his encounter with Han. Wonder whether he'll have a new one in the next film or go without?

Well I was never much into Star Wars as a kid (nearly 43...). Much preferred the gritty realism of Roger Moore era Bond movies.

Brought my 11 year old to the new Star Wars movie the other day. Thought it was fucking majestic. I felt like a kid watching it and came out on a high. A great cinema experience in terms of pure entertainment.

Han Solo is one cool mofo.

I could not give a damn about whether it plays up, sends up etc. the originals. It was a pretty perfect afternoon and the ending left me longing for more. We went straight to HMV and bought the first 6 movies.

In every long series (Bond) there are ups and downs in quality. For every Connery fan there is a Moore fan. This movie adds to the stars wars myth and ensures millions more people will see it and become a fan.

36 years too late I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

As we slip into 2016, spare a thought for poor George Lucas, who thinks selling a film franchise to Disney for a fuck load of money is akin to selling his children into abject pain, suffering, and the lifetime of misery that enslavement will bring.

Setting aside the crass, unthinking stupidity of his analogy, he also doesn't seem to understand that retro is exactly what most people wanted. So no lessons learnt from his efforts with I-III then.

He also moans about Disney giving the fans what they wanted and ignoring whatever bullshit direction he wanted to take the new movies to. He obviously still doesn't get why his prequels were hated by fans of the original movies.

You can see the article here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/george-lucas-slams-white-slavers-7096458

He's such a massive bellend. Too many people around him who won't tell him what a total helmet he is.

After the first screening of the phantom menace he said he was concerned that audiences wouldn't understand the depth of it. Just an unreal lack of self awareness.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1