You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

Great. So let the inexperienced young manager concentrate on that bit and get a bit of help in for the bit we're failing miserably at. The business side affects the simple football side.

It was a condition of his acceptance of the job that he had primacy over transfers.  So, who's going to try and take the dummy out of his mouth without making him cry?

Football on the pitch is no more complicated than it was in Shanks's day.  

Agreed. It should be well within a manager's remit to buy and deploy his own players, in fact that is the managers job as far as I'm concerned, coaching is a distant second.

Ferguson wasn't a coach, he didn't pretendt to be one, he just built teams, team after team after team. That's a managers job.

Rodgers can do all the coaching he wants but if he hasn't got the basic ability to envisage what kind of side he wants and buy the appropriate players then there's literally no point in persevering with him. Getting someone else to do it, or be consulted on it, is just further footballing masturbation on our part, and I don't knwo about you but I'm fresh out of socks.

• Upvote 3

Well at this moment in time he's proven that alongside the rest of the comittee that they're fucking useless at sourcing and recruiting the right players. I don't disagree that the manager should have the wherewithal to run the team from top to bottom but what Fergie or Wenger have been great at is surrounding themselves with great staff who they can delegate to. If the club wanted that level of manager they wouldn't have signed up the 39 year old Swansea boss.

The DoF thing isn't a necessity but it's the step id take before deciding to sack off the current manager. Unless of coarse they have an absolute gem of a guy lined up who has won trophies and has a decent transfer history *coughRAFAcough*

Rodgers needs a proper goalkeeping coach, a proper defensive coach and a proper assistant manager with Pascoe sent back to the post office and Marsh and Achterberg going back to Kirkby. But he likes his yes men and doesn't seem to want anyone with an opinion. These are the staff he's picked because he's not going to be challenged as they're just grateful for the job.

He also needs a Sporting Director who he can liaise with over transfer targets and someone he'd be on the same page as. This would stop the ridiculousness of Mignolet/Balotelli type purchases who don't suit what Rodgers wants from a player. Also a good Sporting Director could have made him see sense over Lovren for £20m or advised that Schneiderlin might have made more sense than Lallana or Lovren if we had to buy Southampton players. There's nobody at the club with any sense at all though on footballing matters and that's how Rodgers seems to want it until the shit hits the fan on the pitch, but then he can just pass the buck.

if he won't accept any of the above then show him the door in May because if he can't see he needs more help, or won't accept it, then that's his problem. It should no longer be ours. 

• Upvote 3

Rodgers needs a proper goalkeeping coach, a proper defensive coach and a proper assistant manager with Pascoe sent back to the post office and Marsh and Achterberg going back to Kirkby. But he likes his yes men and doesn't seem to want anyone with an opinion. These are the staff he's picked because he's not going to be challenged as they're just grateful for the job.

He also needs a Sporting Director who he can liaise with over transfer targets and someone he'd be on the same page as. This would stop the ridiculousness of Mignolet/Balotelli type purchases who don't suit what Rodgers wants from a player. Also a good Sporting Director could have made him see sense over Lovren for £20m or advised that Schneiderlin might have made more sense than Lallana or Lovren if we had to buy Southampton players. There's nobody at the club with any sense at all though on footballing matters and that's how Rodgers seems to want it until the shit hits the fan on the pitch, but then he can just pass the buck.

if he won't accept any of the above then show him the door in May because if he can't see he needs more help, or won't accept it, then that's his problem. It should no longer be ours.

Agree with all of that at the moment and barring something really outstanding in the second half of the season I expect I'll be of the same opinion then.

To be fair, he has his back to the wall, he knows that he is going to have to do some very smooth talking to get some January transfer funds, he has lost his strike force, one permanently and one till he feels like it, the league position is Hodgsonesque, and he has a EL campaign, not a CL campaign ahead of him, he is going to clutch at straws a little.

Three wins in the league against relatively soft opposition and a FA Cup win will perk him, and us, up no end.

What?

Simeone for me is the ideal manager.

However, I would expect FSG to approach Simeone with their typical attitude and explaining to him about a committee on transfers, the negotiation process, the role of Ayre and of course the profile of potential targets that needed to be in a specific age group. He would laugh on them until the end of the time. No chance of getting him under FSG.

Hiring Klopp would not work for Liverpool imo. He is suited for the German league and culture.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. It should be well within a manager's remit to buy and deploy his own players, in fact that is the managers job as far as I'm concerned, coaching is a distant second.

Ferguson wasn't a coach, he didn't pretendt to be one, he just built teams, team after team after team. That's a managers job.

Rodgers can do all the coaching he wants but if he hasn't got the basic ability to envisage what kind of side he wants and buy the appropriate players then there's literally no point in persevering with him. Getting someone else to do it, or be consulted on it, is just further footballing masturbation on our part, and I don't knwo about you but I'm fresh out of socks.

There's too many mangers around these days that want to turn player A in to player B and bask in the credit for their foresight and knowing.

I first became aware of this strange and baffling phenomena when Ged bought Kewell and immediately flipped wings.

Probably something to do with Wenger buying Henry as a winger and him becoming the best  Number 9 going*.

Possibly.

*Sky told me that.

• Upvote 1

Harry Kewell was a cracking player. Wonderful player whose career was ruined when he joined us. He still managed to win a Champions League medal.

Regardless the injuries, he just wasn't suited for Rafa's and Houllier's systems. I bet he would smash Premier League records under Brendan Rodgers.

Show Stierling et al, a video of how Kewell used to shoot and finish his chances.

Harry Kewell was a cracking player. Wonderful player whose career was ruined when he joined us. He still managed to win a Champions League medal.

Regardless the injuries, he just wasn't suited for Rafa's and Houllier's systems. I bet he would smash Premier League records under Brendan Rodgers.

Show Stierling et al, a video of how Kewell used to shoot and finish his chances.

Fucking hell, he was a fat-arsed fucking joke whilst he was here.

• Upvote 4