You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

I saw Nirvana on their first ever UK gig at the Riverside in Newcastle.

I was bemoaning the loss of the Riverside and the general music scene of Newcastle to someone last night oddly enough.

Between the Riverside, the Mayfair and the Arts Centre we had some great venues for up and coming or just slightly less popular bands, the University used to have mid sized bands on as well.

The Riverside shut down when I was 19 and I reckon I've probably still seen more bands there than any other venue. 

Plus there was a few other venues like Bulletproof which had all of the indie scene bands and then a few local rock bars like Trillians for the local bands.

All of it got turned into homogeneous generic shite venues or in the case of the Mayfair flattened so they could build some bars and restaurants because as we all know Newcastle city centre was renowned the world over for a lack of bars. 

You get the occasional thing at the Academy (Carling or O2 or whoever it's supposed to be run by now) and other than Trillians that's about it.

It's a big miss and one of my things if I ever had money to burn would be to get a proper independent venue up and running again and subsidise it so that the less popular or mainstream stuff has an outlet. 

• Upvote 1

I was bemoaning the loss of the Riverside and the general music scene of Newcastle to someone last night oddly enough.

Between the Riverside, the Mayfair and the Arts Centre we had some great venues for up and coming or just slightly less popular bands, the University used to have mid sized bands on as well.

The Riverside shut down when I was 19 and I reckon I've probably still seen more bands there than any other venue. 

Plus there was a few other venues like Bulletproof which had all of the indie scene bands and then a few local rock bars like Trillians for the local bands.

All of it got turned into homogeneous generic shite venues or in the case of the Mayfair flattened so they could build some bars and restaurants because as we all know Newcastle city centre was renowned the world over for a lack of bars. 

You get the occasional thing at the Academy (Carling or O2 or whoever it's supposed to be run by now) and other than Trillians that's about it.

It's a big miss and one of my things if I ever had money to burn would be to get a proper independent venue up and running again and subsidise it so that the less popular or mainstream stuff has an outlet. 

I've been to the odd gig down there, seen The Bluetones in the University about '96 & a highlight was Robert Plant at the O2 Academy a couple of years back.

Edinburgh is probably worse than Newcastle for music venues now, The Venue was a great place but since it's shut down you've got local bands in pubs or Foo Fighters at Murrayfield with next to nothing in between. Bands tour Britain & they do Glasgow & Aberdeen, we do have the Festival I suppose, although making your way through all the luvvies in town is a fucking pain so I usually give it a miss unless someone I really like is playing at the Jazz Festival.

Read this morning that Bill Kyle, who has single-handedly kept the jazz scene alive in Edinburgh, died on Monday.

Sore one as I played in his club a lot & he was always really good with me, he loved drums & music & was always by the side of the stage to help the band out.

http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/breaking-news/14394-bill-kyle-drummer-and-edinburgh-jazz-club-owner-died-suddenly-on-30-October

bill-kyle2.jpg

• Upvote 3

18 years ago today this came out....

d05baf1bb70b6a7c9051f821d7e26e94.jpg

Could easily have been released as their 4th album if they hadn't used the songs as b-sides. Excellent album and a lot of Oasis at their best. Notable songs Masterplan, Stay Young, Rocking Chair, Going Nowhere and I am the walrus live version.

Have fond memories listening to all the b'sides on the way to school and feeling godlike. There could easily be a second disc too. You seen Supersonic yet Stig?

Mate I've not yet. Not had chance. It's one of them that I need to be on my own with a bottle of JD or something so I can absorb it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard this the other day and thought they were pretty decent. Coming out of Liverpool apparently.

In other news, I caught Wilco in Manchester the other night and they were the business. Got a brilliant reception and came back out for two separate encores. The Albert Hall is a boss venue to watch music.

• Upvote 1