You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

I think we can get away without a new GK and striker until the summer but I think DM is the one position we should really looking at. Surely Brendan can see the difference Lucas has made even with his lack of pace.

He has to realise, imagine the difference if we had masch

Lucas and henderson upgrades are a must.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You know, I'm going to be a bit pissed if we don't invest this winter. I know we've spent loads of money under FSG, but assuming Southampton continue their losing streak when they play United, we're going to be, worst case, four points from fourth. When Sturridge gets back, and with a player or two to help out, we could very well knick ourselves into the top four with a good run of games. I think it makes business sense to strengthen this winter.

• Upvote 2

I reckon we're at the stage of sell-to-buy. Maybe the Lucas fee will go on bringing Origi sooner and a cheap keeper like Ochoa.

I'd get mad, but the last time we failed to reinforce in January we went on an unbelievable run. If Sturridge gets fits and someone practices defending from set pieces then fourth place will be up for grabs even if we don't reinforce.

I reckon we're at the stage of sell-to-buy. Maybe the Lucas fee will go on bringing Origi sooner and a cheap keeper like Ochoa.

I'd get mad, but the last time we failed to reinforce in January we went on an unbelievable run. If Sturridge gets fits and someone practices defending from set pieces then fourth place will be up for grabs even if we don't reinforce.

We also failed to reinforce in January 2012 and our league form took a nosedive despite winning the League Cup and reaching the FA Cup final. We never rectified a situation where we were creating chances but failing to put them away, and what happened was that we eventually struggled to create chances at all so the goalscoring problems became more acute.

I don't know if we'll buy or not. But it seems to me the owners are saying they've spent enough and that this group of players is good enough to get us to fourth place, even if we have played like shit most of the year.

If that's the case, I agree with them. Again, it comes down to Rodgers getting the most out of this group, not bringing in new players who will have to bed in before they can make a difference. We're in a good run right now.

I remember when Kenny came back. The first thing he said was that the players he inherited were good enough. That builds confidence, not telling them they're shite and we have to get new guys to take their jobs.

I can't understand how the owners can't see strengthening brings success and stability. So it almost looks on purpose.

But on what basis do they determine it's actually strengthening? They must feel a bit hard done by now in terms of money spent. Even if they're plan really is to buy low and sell high nobody is knocking on their door to buy players.

We've recalled Assaidi and are selling him to Al Ahli for £4.75m.

Good business.

We accepted 7m last summer and he refused, I doubt he'll want to be sold off into middle eastern obscurity without a fight.

We'll probably have to pay him 4.74m just to fuck off

We also failed to reinforce in January 2012 and our league form took a nosedive despite winning the League Cup and reaching the FA Cup final. We never rectified a situation where we were creating chances but failing to put them away, and what happened was that we eventually struggled to create chances at all so the goalscoring problems became more acute.

True, and the further similarity is how much of a spending spree we'd gone on in the previous window, where the manager clearly went after players he rated - who were now misfiring - and we'd swelled the squad to the point that depth shouldn't have been a great issue.

The irony is Lucas was one of the players that we failed to find cover for in Jan 12, after he'd come into some good form and then got injured. You could even argue that's when opposition players started walking through our midfield and our defence gained a brittle quality. The end of the QPR game was just ridiculous.

If we're selling to buy, then I reckon it's an indication that Rodgers has four months to prove he can use the players he's brought in, the owners won't stop him wheeling and dealing but more money won't be made available. As I said, Sturridge can't come back soon enough.

True, and the further similarity is how much of a spending spree we'd gone on in the previous window, where the manager clearly went after players he rated - who were now misfiring - and we'd swelled the squad to the point that depth shouldn't have been a great issue.

The irony is Lucas was one of the players that we failed to find cover for in Jan 12, after he'd come into some good form and then got injured. You could even argue that's when opposition players started walking through our midfield and our defence gained a brittle quality. The end of the QPR game was just ridiculous.

If we're selling to buy, then I reckon it's an indication that Rodgers has four months to prove he can use the players he's brought in, the owners won't stop him wheeling and dealing but more money won't be made available. As I said, Sturridge can't come back soon enough.

It's shocking that after the spending since Rodgers has came here we are totally reliant on Sturridge to come back in and rescue the CL hopes, on the one hand I can understand him being given fuck all but on the other he is their man, either back him or sack him.

Leaving it to see if we can scrape CL is madness because if we don't then we've massively regressed while the likes of an injury ravaged Utd squad has been allowed to leap frog us along with sides like Southamoton and fucking West Ham at this stage of the season. Rodgers has got a lot to answer for

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Delph for £7.5m doing the rounds.

Hold on, his contract is running down? Might well be overpaying on him for that amount.

See how it goes, but I can't see that fee being the right one.

There should be, but the question is whether FSG will choose to make it available to Rodgers. If they're considering replacing him at the end if the season they might want to hold as much money as possible back for a new manager.

More likely is that they've no plans to sack him, but want to lay down a marker to show that he can't automatically expect money every window, and that they expect him to do better on transfers than he has to date.

I wouldn't regard either as legitimate, personally.

... fuck paying 7ml for him now when you can get him for nothing in July...

It's not that simple, is it? There may be more competition for him in the summer. Increasing his wages. His signing-on fee. And the possibility that he'll go elsewhere.

Sometimes it makes sense to pay up at a late stage in a player's contract (though I'm not convinced about this particular player at all)...

• Upvote 1