You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Becoming a dad for the first time

redheart

Mine's been away since Tuesday and I can't cope.  House is too quiet.  Going mad without the sound of about 10 different toys playing their tunes at the same time. My arms aren't aching from throwing her about, no-one has ran full pelt into my balls in over 48 hours and I haven't had a single sneeze in my face in all that time. 

Roll on next Thursday. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone else get creeped out when they're in on their own with the baby asleep upstairs and you are watching them on the monitor downstairs? Perhaps because the monitor keeps on flashing white and looks like there is movement when viewed out the corner of the eye?

Asking for a friend.

Anyone else get creeped out when they're in on their own with the baby asleep upstairs and you are watching them on the monitor downstairs? Perhaps because the monitor keeps on flashing white and looks like there is movement when viewed out the corner of the eye?

Asking for a friend.

Nah,

But then I don't have a video monitor. We thought it was another thing we didn't need so just went for the sound option. Don't blame anyone for having one though, whatever gives you peace of mind.

Those heart monitor one are mental too. Couldn't be doing with the alarm going off every time his knibbs rolled off the mat. But would understand if the child had health issues or had lost one.

Haveing said that I'd love to see one nights movement from him though. He must move about constantly as he always wakes up or is in a mad position when you look in

What RJ said.

Meanwhile, I'm at the other end of the journey wrestling with when/if it's ok to go to bed before your kids have come home at night. I hear friends/work colleagues saying that they can never sleep until they know theirs are back in safe and sound. I seem to have no difficulties in that department. I'm probably just a bad parent.

Edit. Actually, not what RJ said. We never had any kind of monitor. And, yes, they were around, I just didn't feel the need for them

Nah,

But then I don't have a video monitor. We thought it was another thing we didn't need so just went for the sound option. Don't blame anyone for having one though, whatever gives you peace of mind.

Those heart monitor one are mental too. Couldn't be doing with the alarm going off every time his knibbs rolled off the mat. But would understand if the child had health issues or had lost one.

Haveing said that I'd love to see one nights movement from him though. He must move about constantly as he always wakes up or is in a mad position when you look in

We've got a heart monitor one and it's never gone off other than in the morning when I forget to turn it off.

I used to be up constantly checking when he was in the room with us but now he's in his own room with the monitor, I sleep a lot better for whatever reason.

Fuck me the terrible twos are a nightmare aren't they? One month in and she's turned into a little cow.

Mood swings are constant. We put a little angel down for a nap and we get an absolute monster waking up.

On holiday at the minute and frankly I'm not used to the 24/7 contact with her when she's like this. Talk of trying for a second? Think that's getting swerved.

• 6 months later...

Went for the scan today, Mrs Byrnie is due to deliver our first on the 18th of January.

Buzzing!!

Noah arrived two weeks late and gave his Mammy a hard time, but by god was he worth it.

He's 3 weeks old today.

As you all know it's completely life changing. It's hard getting him into a routine. Best feeling in the world coming home and seeing his face after work.

He loves listening to music it seems. Whack Pink Floyd or Fleetwood Mac on and he lies there content as anything.

e5e7f3d5a8025d5664820ccf7d4491db.jpga12be846ef319e5435cc643aa2bece83.jpg

4fe922fcc53c0eda1d92a2ee858b663b.jpg

• Upvote 11

Slightly suspicious of anyone who says they enjoy the newborn stage. I've got a three year old lad who is amazing but I wasn't too keen until he was a few months old. I've got a 6 week old now who is really hard work.

Until they start giving something back (smiles, giggles, a personality) then it's not really much fun. Maybe it's just me but until the good stuff comes along it's most definitely not worth it. A momentary high at the Hospital is followed by three or four months of hell, followed by a lifetime of awesomeness.

• Upvote 2

An no, it's fairly easy when they're still incapable of lifting their own heads.

It's even they start teething, or even more annoyingly when they start mixing with other kids and constantly have a cough that keeps you up all night that's hard.

I had a first real "what the fuck" moment with our little lad a few weeks ago when I brought him to a playground.

After aimlessly meandering from the slides to the monkey bars then back to the slide again a good hour has passed. When I went to put him back in the buggy to bring him home he screamed so bloody hard you'd swear I was baby snatching him.

He went fucking apeshit and cried for the 30 minute walk home. I'm not talking just whimpering, but full on tears and screaming. I don't exec think Madeline McCann could have made a bigger racket.

Great craic

Congratulations.

I've been up all night for the last two nights because Jake (nearly 10 months old) has a cold and I do the night shift.

He was in bed with us last night and head butted me on the nose with his tossing and turning.

His Mum went downstairs to sleep.  She's ill as well.

Glad to get to work for a break. Hopefully he'll be in a better mood when I get home and he uses me as a climbing frame.

• Upvote 1