You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lazar Marković

WhiskeyJar

He actually reminded me a bit of Sterling when he was going through his tough patch. He was playing it safe too often and seemed really hesitant to shoot with the opportunities he had. It means nothing yet though in the grand scheme of things. Nobody has a clue how good he is yet.

But Sterling was still just a kid, plus he hadnt been bought for 20 million quid.

So you have no view at all on players we sign?

Surely if we signed Jon Parkin it would be fairly understandable if you had some reservations. 

I don't know who he is.  If it's players I know, I'll of course have a view of what they've done previously, but it really means nothing until they're playing in our team alongside our players.  Prejudging whether a signing is going to be a success or not is stupid, because people nail their colours to the mast and they can't change no matter how often they are presented with contradictory evidence.  

Look at fungus's post about Lallana's performance.  That opinion is clearly prejudged based on some sort of agenda; it certainly bore no relation to the actual performance.  So when presented with the video evidence it makes him look like a bit of a tool.  So now he'll be waiting for the next game, desperate for Lallana to make a mistake so he can say 'told you so'.  And so it goes, on and on and on.  

• Upvote 1

Everyone is guilty of that though. People pick their favs, then get into little mini wars with people that have different favs, then proceed to talk complete bollocks. Or just trolling, like Stig turning up in every thread TK posts in to say Lucas is shit. Same as TK with Sakho. Such is the dynamic of a forum. Thankfully it rarely extends to actual real life interaction with other humans. I'm actually laughing to myself now trying to imagine how it could be replicated in a conversation with your mates.

You seem to really rate Sakho, Allen, and Lallana, and clearly you don't rate Lucas. Therefore when you make any comments about a match people have to take this into account. I rate Suso, Moreno, and Markovic (I actually struggled to think of many players I have a very strong opinion on at the moment, which certainly isn't always the case), and therefore am probably more likely to forgive, or even not take into account, any mistakes they make. Or am more likely to have patience with those players. Etc. Who signed them is also often a factor. As people deride players that others like the latter get more defensive, or just lob back insults about the other person's favourites. 

Not sure I really agree completely with -

Prejudging whether a signing is going to be a success or not is stupid

I mean, sure, going full Code is a bit ridiculous but if, for e.g, I've watched a player in Serie A half a dozen/ a dozen times and seen that he's clearly a pretty talented footballer then I'm going to have an opinion when we sign him. I'm going feel like I at least have more of an idea whether they'll do well for us or not. Similarly, as was the case for Can with me, I'll bow down to the better judgement of others that had seen him play before we signed him. Because I hadn't even heard of him.

• Upvote 1

I agree with that by and large J, I've just run out of rep.  The point you make about face to face discussions moderating people's opinions is correct.  I've been known to say complimentary things about Lucas to people off the forum, and it's much easier to get the nuances of your thinking over in a real conversation - largely because to do so in writing is just too time consuming, and I'm not sure anyone really wants to dedicate that much time to reading it, never mind writing it.  

That's why it's best to go with  'Lucas isn't very good', because you know you'll be right 99% of the time. *inane grin*

and as for the prejudging point, I just don't watch enough football these days to even know who most of these lads are.  Like you, I had no clue who Can was, so had a completely open mind about him.  The same is true for Markovic, Sakho and the full backs.  I find it works for me, as I only judge them on what they do for us.

I'm going to go against the norm and say that far from shitting himself I think he was over confident with the ball. There was one moment when he'd engineered himself an opening right on the 18 yard line, but instead of shooting he tried to take on 2 more players. It reminded of the let off we got from Bennyoun in the FA Cup final when he could have shot a few times but kept trying to beat the next man instead, eventually allowing Reina to get right out to his feet.

We know nothing of Markovic other then he was very highly rated in Portugal (the Portuguese lads in our place were proper gutted when he left) so we need to let him find his feet in this league. God forbid, even give the lad a chance and even allow him a few poor games...

• Upvote 1

Markovic will be fine. The problem at the moment through injury and form is that we can never play a settled side / system. Markovic though can play wide right in a 4231, centrally in that system or at the tip of a diamond. So he has versatility as well as ability. The price tag is not his doing.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is guilty of that though. People pick their favs, then get into little mini wars with people that have different favs, then proceed to talk complete bollocks. Or just trolling, like Stig turning up in every thread TK posts in to say Lucas is shit. Same as TK with Sakho. Such is the dynamic of a forum. Thankfully it rarely extends to actual real life interaction with other humans. I'm actually laughing to myself now trying to imagine how it could be replicated in a conversation with your mates.

You seem to really rate Sakho, Allen, and Lallana, and clearly you don't rate Lucas. Therefore when you make any comments about a match people have to take this into account. I rate Suso, Moreno, and Markovic (I actually struggled to think of many players I have a very strong opinion on at the moment, which certainly isn't always the case), and therefore am probably more likely to forgive, or even not take into account, any mistakes they make. Or am more likely to have patience with those players. Etc. Who signed them is also often a factor. As people deride players that others like the latter get more defensive, or just lob back insults about the other person's favourites. 

Not sure I really agree completely with -

I mean, sure, going full Code is a bit ridiculous but if, for e.g, I've watched a player in Serie A half a dozen/ a dozen times and seen that he's clearly a pretty talented footballer then I'm going to have an opinion when we sign him. I'm going feel like I at least have more of an idea whether they'll do well for us or not. Similarly, as was the case for Can with me, I'll bow down to the better judgement of others that had seen him play before we signed him. Because I hadn't even heard of him.

Johnson is shit

I think the problem Markovic might have in the eyes of some is did we really need him in the summer of 2014?. Could the money have been spent elsewhere in getting better balance in the squad.

I can't see him starting more than a 1/3 of games this season in the league not a criticism of him. But you would struggle to say we have not ended up being overstocked with a few similar players in positions. Like how we ended up with two 20 million LCB, all a bit strange. 

The way i look at it is if a player is shit but give his all im not happy he is here, but at least he cares, remember it's not his fault he is playing. Every club has shit player, you don't buy them thinking they are shit but sometimes it just turns out that way (e.g Morientes for us, Forlan for Utd).

what i can't stand is players not giving a fuck, half hearted running around the pitch, not giving a toss when the oppo score. yet again not his fault he is playing.

i will hold my judgement on Markovic until he has completed a whole season, i would at least expect to see some snippets of his quality the longer the season goes on.

I think the problem Markovic might have in the eyes of some is did we really need him in the summer of 2014?. Could the money have been spent elsewhere in getting better balance in the squad.

I can't see him starting more than a 1/3 of games this season in the league not a criticism of him. But you would struggle to say we have not ended up being overstocked with a few similar players in positions. Like how we ended up with two 20 million LCB, all a bit strange. 

twitter-agenda.jpg