You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

WhiskeyJar

Draxler hasn't done much so far, he's definitely not currently worth £30m.

But...he who dares.

It's not even a case of daring. It;s debatable if any of those players are actually for sale. Save for offering their clubs silly money. And by silly, I mean way north of £30m that everyone's wetting their pants about over Lallana. Who won't go for that anyway.

Looking in the Eredivisie, it's astounding that we're not breaking doors down for Dusan Tadic and or Alfred Finbogossan. Loads of goals and loads of assists, what more can you ask for? We'd probably get both for £30m.

One flaw in that argument. Eredivise.

I'm split on Lallana in a way.

I mean, if he's going to cost £30m and we're not sure if he's worth it, then let's hold fire until after the Worldcup?

That way we get to see him up close and how he gets on with the other England reds. I dont care if he scores a couple of hat tricks, what are Southampton going to do, demand £60m?

I've had a few looks at Lallana vids, not the goals and assists vids but the 'all touches' vids, against a variety of opponents. He's got a box of tricks alright, and he's very aware of what's going on around him, but it's not often you see him beat a man and make a couple of yards, and for £30m I think it's a bit of a risk to sign an attacker without that pace.

That said, with Sterling and Sturridge, we're not short of pace, but the other side of that is we already have Coutinho who can't beat a man, and Suarez isn't as quick as Sterling or Sturridge, so we just need to be a little careful I think.

Is Lallana the best we can get for £30m? Debatable I think. You could make a good case for Konoplyanka, Firmino, Draxler, Kroos, and a few others, but you have to take into account that Lallana seems able to play anywhere in the final third, and could possibly play as an advanced centre mid perhaps.

£30m seems a cunts trick from Southampton though, and I'm fucking loathed to give them the steam off our piss, and I certainly don't see the rush to get anything done before the World Cup, not at that price. He could have an awful tournament and miss a sitter and we could pick him up for £14m in a month. Technically he's good enough for us, and a bad tournament wouldn't change that.

I'd argue that if you think a man has no pace but he's still churning out great average ratings in wide attacking positions then him losing pace as he ages won't be an issue; somewhat extending his career usefulness.

I find it amazing that people can talk about risk and then propose alternatives that are prospects in weaker leagues that are yet to even have a dominating season in that weaker league (and often aren't even direct comparisons). Talent is playing football well enough to have a season like Lallana's playing for a team that finished 8th in one of the major leagues.

From what I know of him Rakitic would be a reasonably sensible alternative but I honestly don't see how anyone could possibly think he wasn't more of a risk than Lallana. 

• Performed to an outstanding level in the Premier league last year
  • Played for a high-pressing, high intensity team
  • Captain of that team
  • Wins the ball in the final third more than any player in the league
  • Puts more sprints in than any player in the league
  • A 1 in 4 goalscorer.
  • Proven to be technically able to play quick interchange football
  • Could quite easily play any position in the three behind a forward or in three of the four positions in the diamond.
  • Almost zero time to bed in, in a season where the ladder could get cut away from the Champions league

The least risk going and could, from the first day, improve the first 11. I don't want loads of players. Pick three that are a great fit and go and get them. He's one. Pay the money.

I don't know if Rakitic is a greater risk than Lallana and I'm not making a case for him, just asking if there's a better option in that position. A realistic name as he was linked with us at one point. Granted, Lallana has the advantage of playing in the premier league. Rakitic I've only seen play for his country and Seville in CM. He is a Europa League winner and so has experience in Europe, which would be useful to us. Granted, he plays in La Liga and his team finished fifth in La Liga. Does that mean he couldn't improve the first 11? 

I don't know how to compare Seville and Southampton, but we've bought players from other leagues not as strong as the premier league (Dutch, Spain) and they have worked out ok for us in the past. We've bought players from clubs lower in the premier league as well. 

Not writing Lallana off, but wondering if there are other options available because I could go either way on Lallana.

I find it amazing that people can talk about risk and then propose alternatives that are prospects in weaker leagues that are yet to even have a dominating season in that weaker league (and often aren't even direct comparisons). Talent is playing football well enough to have a season like Lallana's playing for a team that finished 8th in one of the major leagues.

From what I know of him Rakitic would be a reasonably sensible alternative but I honestly don't see how anyone could possibly think he wasn't more of a risk than Lallana. 

• Performed to an outstanding level in the Premier league last year - Charlie Adam
  • Played for a high-pressing, high intensity team - Charlie Adam
  • Captain of that team - Charlie Adam
  • Wins the ball in the final third more than any player in the league - Dunno guessing no
  • Puts more sprints in than any player in the league - Not Adam
  • A 1 in 4 goalscorer. - Charlie Adam
  • Proven to be technically able to play quick interchange football - Charlie Adam
  • Could quite easily play any position in the three behind a forward or in three of the four positions in the diamond. - Dunno
  • Almost zero time to bed in, in a season where the ladder could get cut away from the Champions league - Charlie Adam Supposedly

The least risk going and could, from the first day, improve the first 11. I don't want loads of players. Pick three that are a great fit and go and get them. He's one. Pay the money.

Charlie Adam was also on the PFA shortlist just like Lallana and scored more goals than Lallana in his season in the prem for Blackpool.

It's not quite as cut and dried as you seem to want to suggest.

Charlie Adam was also on the PFA shortlist just like Lallana and scored more goals than Lallana in his season in the prem for Blackpool.

It's not quite as cut and dried as you seem to want to suggest.

Sorry Cardie, very little of that Adam stuff is relevant. My points are about Lallana playing exactly in the style that Rodgers wants us playing, to a level no other player is managing. 

You'd have had a point if Adam (who certainly wasn't a high tempo presser playing quick interchange football, come on man, behave) was playing in the absolutely perfect way for the system that Kenny was installing, but then failed. As opposed to being bought and then just thrown into the mix with the rest of the poorly coached, systematically all over the shop nonsense that happened then. 

From watching him and looking at his numbers you could reasonably argue he's one of the most Rodgers players in the world. That's why it's so low risk.

My points are about Lallana playing exactly in the style that Rodgers wants us playing, to a level no other player is managing. 

Are you sure you're not overselling it even slightly?

Oh and for the record I never said Adam was a high temp presser infact I said no specifically to adam and yes to him playing in a team that played attacking pressing football which at the time Blackpool were, to a point where it was detrimental to performances).

I don't know if Rakitic is a greater risk than Lallana and I'm not making a case for him, just asking if there's a better option in that position. A realistic name as he was linked with us at one point. Granted, Lallana has the advantage of playing in the premier league. Rakitic I've only seen play for his country and Seville in CM. He is a Europa League winner and so has experience in Europe, which would be useful to us. Granted, he plays in La Liga and his team finished fifth in La Liga. Does that mean he couldn't improve the first 11? 

I don't know how to compare Seville and Southampton, but we've bought players from other leagues not as strong as the premier league (Dutch, Spain) and they have worked out ok for us in the past. We've bought players from clubs lower in the premier league as well. 

Not writing Lallana off, but wondering if there are other options available because I could go either way on Lallana.

La Liga, quite good.

Sevilla would batter Southampton everywhere. They play a lot more like we do than Southampton, as well.

I'm not convinced by the proposed price tag at all.  So because he did the most sprints he's worth £25m plus his wages?  Get outta here.  Coutinho probably did the most shots but 98% were turd.  It's the kind of money Eden Hazard went for not too long ago.  Granted he will be on higher wages, but you can see my point.  

You never buy a player solely on what he is at a specific moment in time, you have to look at where you think his ceiling is and, depending on age, what he has done in the past. He'd be a low risk signing but not at 25 million.

Yes you do, of course you do. When you're a challenger looking for the right players to pull you over the line and land a trophy you sign players who will help deliver NOW, not in two years time.

I would quite like us to sign Lallana .What i wouldn't like is  yet another fucking soap opera played out over the next couple of months. I appreciate Southampton have to get the best price but if the player wants to come to Liverpool he should clearly say so , then he get on with the  preparations for Hodgsons farewell party over in Brasil . 

Are you sure you're not overselling it even slightly?

Oh and for the record I never said Adam was a high temp presser infact I said no specifically to adam and yes to him playing in a team that played attacking pressing football which at the time Blackpool were, to a point where it was detrimental to performances).

I may be but it's well within the boundaries of debate. He's the best pressing forward in the league in a very good counter attacking team. He does what Henderson does (arguably better than Henderson) whilst being a massively more dangerous force when on the ball.

If you can show me numbers of someone else that plays with his intensity to win the ball back high up the pitch and counter then I'm open to that information.

I honestly don't see a more perfect fit, or Rodgers player out there.

I'm not convinced by the proposed price tag at all.  So because he did the most sprints he's worth £25m plus his wages?  Get outta here.  Coutinho probably did the most shots but 98% were turd.  It's the kind of money Eden Hazard went for not too long ago.  Granted he will be on higher wages, but you can see my point.  

Not really, no, because nobody said sprinting makes him worth £25m. Someone did put together a much fuller argument than that but then you, know, not as easy a strawman to just knock down and then make some childish point about stats.

He put the most sprints in and won the ball in the attacking third more than anyone. That's not just some daft stat (as you're suggesting) it's a neon sign flashing "BOSS AT PRESSING".

It wasn't really a point. More just "Stats LOLZ, SEE MY POINT".

• Upvote 1

Yes you do, of course you do. When you're a challenger looking for the right players to pull you over the line and land a trophy you sign players who will help deliver NOW, not in two years time.

Not what I'm saying.

I'm saying you don't value a player based on one season, you look at what he has done, and evaluate what you think he can do in the future and how that fits into the team.

Not really, no, because nobody said sprinting makes him worth £25m. Someone did put together a much fuller argument than that but then you, know, not as easy a strawman to just knock down and then make some childish point about stats.

He put the most sprints in and won the ball in the attacking third more than anyone. That's not just some daft stat (as you're suggesting) it's a neon sign flashing "BOSS AT PRESSING".

It wasn't really a point. More just "Stats LOLZ, SEE MY POINT".

Cool.  I'm still not convinced but you present your case articulately.  

Can't say I've ever watched a Southampton game - highlights or the full match - and thought Lallana stood out. Neat, tidy and mobile but never somebody I'd have seen us spending so much on. If anything he's been outshone by Schneiderlin as Southampton's best player every time I've watched them play.

I just don't see him fitting in like some do. Not quick enough to play in the front three if we're going to continue scaring teams with our pace on the break. And I don't think he's better than Coutinho playing the furthest forward of three midfielders.

• Upvote 2

Schneiderlin and Wanyama are the reasons  behind his great season, he's got a free role with these two behind, they make his job easy, he doesn't need to do an awful load af defensive work, they make space for him, Wanyama sits deeper and Schneiderlin is a roamer, like Joe Allen on steroids, in LFC we have not even one natural DM in the team and he will struggle because he's lightweight and will have no protection from behind. After Wanyama went injured he was hopeless and Southampton were struggling and it's not a coincidence.