You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Kenny really a World Football great?

Gym Beglin

Was just discussing this with some lads at the truck dept the other day, and one of them said, "he was the olden day equivalent of Zlatan Ibrahimovc" and looking back at footage...he's fucking right.

Big fish, small pond, he cruised around at Celtic in their pomp, and then strolled around Anfield in ours. He achieved next to nothing with Scotland, for a forward, between 1979 and 1986 he delivered just 9 goals.

PFA player of the year just once, in 83. Even Gary Pallister won it in 92.

ihTms5yNM826W.gif

• Upvote 2

George Best gets mentioned because he was a superb footballer, mate, he was breathtakingly good. I had a George Best video as a kid and all but wore it out. My dad rates Best as the best British player he has seen, that's good enough for me!

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but the logic of that closing sentence is insane.

My dad rates Scientology as perfectly sane, and that's good enough for me.

My dad reckons Jupiter is made of cheese, that's good enough for me.

My dad rates murdering prostitutes as his favourite hobby, that's good enough for me.

• Upvote 1

Ridiculous thread by someone who clearly never saw him play so I'm hijacking it with one of my favourite Kenny stories. Told by Souness on a video I used to own in the 80's, probably called King Kenny

According to Souness, when he was told he was to be sharing a room with Kenny he was pleased as he had heard that Kenny was a quiet, family-loving lad who would be easy to get on with. However, every night when he went to bed, Kenny was nowhere to be seen. He was out late every night and sneaking into the room well after midnight. This went on for a while until Souness mentioned it to another team-mate, expressing surprise that the quiet family man seemed to be out all the time. Souness reckons that it turns out that Kenny had seen that he had a hairdryer and, being a simple boy from Glasgow, had made certain assumptions. He had been hiding in the hotel bar, drinking orange juice, until he was certain that Souness would be asleep as he was worried that a man with a hairdryer might try it on with him.

• Upvote 3

He achieved next to nothing with Scotland

Who has achieved anything or ever will? Scotland is still Scotland whoevers in the team

I think to answer the question he has 3 European cups as a player so yeh but he wouldn't get into an all time team if that's what you mean

Celtic were a huge club when Kenny was there and the Scottish league was of a high standard. The Liverpool team of the late 70's / early 80s was easily one of the greatest club sides of all time. I simply can't agree that he swam around in a small pond.

Scotland had great players but never did it when Kenny was in his pomp. The Irish and Welsh were a bit like that back then also. Having said that, I'd easily have fellas like Brady, Rushy and Kenny as candidates for a world 11 of their era, even if they never played in teams that did anything on the international scene.