You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anzhi have given leave for players to arrange their terms therefore if Willian is interested in Liverpool he will get in touch with Liverpool. I think that is why Liverpool haven't placed a bid. Liverpool have placed two bids and have been burnt with two players who knocked us back.

Ay?

When?

So, if thats somehow true (ItS not like cos we havent bid for noone) lets never bid for anyone ever again!

There were two big stories in Belarus in the last week of July. On the plus side, their premier, Alexander Lukashenko caught a catfish bigger than the pike Vladimir Putin had landed in Siberia a few days earlier. More difficult to comprehend, though, was the news that Uralkali, a Russian firm run by Suleiman Kerimov, had broken off a business agreement with a Belarusian company that effectively fixed global potash prices. It's hard to say precisely what the consequences will be, but pressure has already been placed on the Belarusian rouble, while a surge in the supply of potash should lead to a decrease in the cost of fertiliser (and thus perhaps food). It could also lead to the sale of Samuel Eto'o to Chelsea.

Quality.

Like everyone else, I've been on the hunt for videos of this lad, having failed to see him apart from maybe a few highlights of a CL game here or there.

And now that I've watched them ... can anyone tell me what I'm missing? I mean, I'm more than happy to admit that I'm not a professional scout and there could be something to his movement, or maybe his energy, or something that just doesn't come across in a video of his touches. Because from what I've seen he looks like the kind of player with immense physical gifts and not a whole lot else, and for 30 million you'd like to think you'd get the whole package (setting aside Andy Carroll for the moment).

So, internet, tell me, what is it I'm missing? Anyone watch him regularly and can verify that he really is an amazing player? Because with Mkhitaryan it was obvious, even Costa to a certain extent, but with this lad the highlights videos must not do him justice.

* I should note that I wasn't sold on Torres when he came, and I thought Robbie Keane was going to be excellent, so if my judgement is any indication, he'll probably be the next Bergkamp.

Like everyone else, I've been on the hunt for videos of this lad, having failed to see him apart from maybe a few highlights of a CL game here or there.

And now that I've watched them ... can anyone tell me what I'm missing? I mean, I'm more than happy to admit that I'm not a professional scout and there could be something to his movement, or maybe his energy, or something that just doesn't come across in a video of his touches. Because from what I've seen he looks like the kind of player with immense physical gifts and not a whole lot else, and for 30 million you'd like to think you'd get the whole package (setting aside Andy Carroll for the moment).

So, internet, tell me, what is it I'm missing? Anyone watch him regularly and can verify that he really is an amazing player? Because with Mkhitaryan it was obvious, even Costa to a certain extent, but with this lad the highlights videos must not do him justice.

* I should note that I wasn't sold on Torres when he came, and I thought Robbie Keane was going to be excellent, so if my judgement is any indication, he'll probably be the next Bergkamp.

Big hair?

Catchy name?

Let´s put it this way. I was over the moon when we were sniffing around Mikhitaryan as he is a player I have dreamt of us buying. There is one player though that has impressed me more when I have been watching other teams - Willian. He is the kind of player that makes other players better and he makes thing happening on the pitch. Yes, I agree the youtube clips

does not show his qualities. I would be very surprised if we could get this player in front of all other rich top clubs. A fantastic player.

Does Coutinho look that impressive in his AC YouTube clips? Willian's assist stats speak for themselves.

I thought Coutinho looked really good from his time at Inter and was very excited when we got him, but if memory serves that was down to having seen him for a couple of games in the CL and also based on Rafa's statement that Inter would be built around him in a few years. He did have a few clips from games at Espanyol that looked very promising, though.

Not to mention the price was a snip. When you pay 30 million you had better be getting a very good player.

But, as swampthing notes, there must be something about Willian, because he was the reason Mkhitaryan was playing as a holder. I recall when we were chasing Mkhitaryan there were lots of articles about how he had only recently been moved up after the sale of Willian, because Willian was so good there that they had to move Micky back to accommodate him. So, again, obviously there must be something special to his game. I'm just surprised that it doesn't translate at all to youtube.

It should, of course, go without saying that if he comes here I hope that all my doubts look extremely foolish in a year or so.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You need to be wary of assist stats. Especially when converting from leagues like the Ukraine and Russia to the prem.

I'm not saying he'd be shite, but it's a fuck load of money. I'm cautious. I've seen him in the CL only, so it's against very tough opposition. He's never looked like a 30m player. I think the fee being reported is solely down to Anzhi overpaying for him.

You need to be wary of assist stats. Especially when converting from leagues like the Ukraine and Russia to the prem.

I'm not saying he'd be shite, but it's a fuck load of money. I'm cautious. I've seen him in the CL only, so it's against very tough opposition. He's never looked like a 30m player. I think the fee being reported is solely down to Anzhi overpaying for him.

Surely, by that logic, we should be wary of any stats for a player coming from those leagues? Or is there a specific reason you feel assist stats are less reliable an indicator of a player's worth?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Surely' date=' by that logic, we should be wary of any stats for a player coming from those leagues?[/quote']

Well, yeah. When attempting to transfer the stats from the Ukrainian league to the Premiership, I'd say we should take a look at the comparative quality of the leagues. Of course, some stats will be more or less important than others. Penalty conversion, for example, will be fine. Assists stat might well be totally different. Hell, it's different between clubs, much less other leagues.

Or is there a specific reason you feel assist stats are less reliable an indicator of a player's worth?

Yeah, I think they're quite unreliable in general. Just my personal opinion, but they don't necessarily tell you how creative a player is, just who the lasts player to touch the ball was before the scorer did the business. Some assists are worth as much as a goal, in my opinion, and some aren't worth much at all.

Yeah, I think they're quite unreliable in general. Just my personal opinion, but they don't necessarily tell you how creative a player is, just who the lasts player to touch the ball was before the scorer did the business. Some assists are worth as much as a goal, in my opinion, and some aren't worth much at all.

You’re in dangerous territory her NV. Expect your favorite Norwegian to be along soon to explain his exegesis of why some goals are worth less than others.

You’ve been warned.

I'm not against paying the asking price for good players' date=' but is anyone that knowledgable about Willian to say that £35m isn't a massive gamble? I watched Shakhtar and thought he was very good, but £35m?[/quote']

I agree completely, paying £40M would be insane.