You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Life's too short for....

Champ

After spending the last hour trying to clean our barbecue, with only limited success, I can definitely say life is too short for cleaning barbecues.

The cleaning tool is destroyed, the barbecue doesnt look that much better and I am covered in grease

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a new BBQ at the weekend

I intend to empty out the ash and scrub the grill each time. Other than that it ain't getting more than a half assed clean.

It was half price, £20 in John Lewis, so can't complain if it lasts a few years that will do, I'll just dispense of it then and get another. So I'm not too fussed if it gives up the ghost through negligence in a few years time.

After spending 20 minutes ensuring the coals got hot enough, a job I'm not used to doing as I would usually have a disposable till now; I decided that it a bit of pfaff this BBQ lark. Worth it, but a pfaff.

Barbecue lighter liquid, way better than the gel and great for starter bonfires too.

Failing that, splash out on a gas barbie.

Last night we barbecued salmon pieces and lightly oiled thin strips of courgettes and carrots. They were fab

It wasnt so much that I thought it needed cleaning for hygiene reasons but the grills had got so clogged up the bars were in danger of all joining up together

Have you thought about using those bbq foil trays so the food is not directly in the rack? It doesn't take away from the flavor imo.

Have you thought about using those bbq foil trays so the food is not directly in the rack? It doesn't take away from the flavor imo.

I hadnt because I like to grill and as Bjornebye knows I'm not a fan of disposable stuff when I can use a resusable product. Thanks for the suggestion though

What kind of cunt cleans a BBQ anyway?

Oh, a woman....

I explained above....it isnt as ridiculous as it sounds, the holes in the burners were getting clogged up with gunk.

And as the thread title indicates, I'll not be in a hurry to do it again....

Mate don't give up so easily. Life isn't too short, it's the longest thing you'll know.

I recommend some low level degreaser, mixed with 35cl of glens vodka and a small amount car battery acid, make sure to pour it all straight into the bbq and not spill it out the sides, then let it sit for 6 and half minutes before power hosing. you'll be back shrimpin barbies like toadfish on a sunny ramsay street in no time.

may you have a long and prosperous life champ

Like a coffee machine' date=' you have now removed 90% of the flavour from your future BBQing

Quick wipe to ensure no salmonella only[/quote']

I started off by saying after all my hard work I still didn't get it clean

What if I promise never to clean it again?

Congratulations. You have just invented the frying pan. Why bother with a BBQ?

Its at totally different method of cooking and imparts different flavours.

All this advice is much appreciated although the intention of the thread was to provide a depository for other time-wasting experiences....

Sorry, its been hijacked.

Its best done with a wire brush while its hot. One of those gas torches or a blowtorch can be used with a wire brush. If it doesn't catch fire, it didn't need cleaning. This is a task that shouldn't be given to a 12 year old with an oxy welding set unless you're on good terms with your local fire brigade and insurance agent.

Back on topic : Life is too short for ironing.Buy non iron clothes and hang them wet on clothes hangers to dry

What kind of twisted gibberish has gone on here. A bunch of jamooks talking about ways to clean the grill and she has said it was the fuckin burners that were clogged - she is using a gas bbq. Turn the thing to maximum and let it go for about two hours - the same way you clean your oven. After that, let it cool and then wheel it to the corner and hope it gets hit by a truck so you can buy a proper wood grill.