You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The greatest ever myth.

And United will be knocked off theirs... unfortunately it's going to take a very long time.

Only Liverpool can make that period as short as possible, which poses a dilemma to other fans.

Just about the best solution will be for Liverpool to improve and be contenders who manage to get a couple of titles in the next 5 or 6 years, whilst the rest go to us ;-)

Anything to shut that lot up about their 'most successful club' crap. Depends how you measure the trophy haul of course, but they have a reasonable argument. The sooner Liverpool take that argument away, the better.

As for 'knocked off their perch' - too much is made of it really. In my opinion it just a general term to ending your dominance. I can't imagine for one moment that even Ferguson could have envisaged quite how things turned out.

I don't hold out much hope though... not once Fergie's part of the UEFA establishment.

As shit as we've been. As much turmoil and unrest as we've seen and been through, we've still won 9 Honours in that time.

European Cup: 2005

UEFA Cup: 2001

FA Cup: 1992, 2001, 2006

League Cup: 1995, 2001, 2003, 2012

And the ceremonial trophies, but still trophies...

European Super Cup: 2001, 2005

F.A. Charity Shield: 2001, 2006

Not a bad haul for such a shit club in such a shit period, when one considers the relative stability and continuity certain other clubs have had with one having the same manager for 11 years without as much as a full house at bingo.

As shit as we've been, we've still won 13 trophies in 23 years. That level of shitness is massively envied by other clubs.

He actually started the rot before signing them two. Four things that happened at the start of his first full season in charge started it all.

Mc Mahon left and he sold Beardsley and brought in Saunders and Walters. The final thing was to totally change the training methods we had used since Shanks and use his own methods.

Makes you wonder what the fuck he was doing doesn't it?

Having not been alive (was born in 89) during Shanks, Paisely, and the Kings first reign I obviously wasn't exposed to how we trained back then but why would a player like Souness, who enjoyed so much success under those managers and hence their training methods change the whole thing?

It makes no sense to me at all

Still, Sourness' biggest sin was the destroying of the iconic Boot Room. It wasn't his to destroy. It was a fundamental part of the club's identity. His ego made him want to make his own mark and make a new era. He most definitely did that, but not in a positive way. and we've been paying ever since.

As shit as we've been. As much turmoil and unrest as we've seen and been through' date=' we've still won 9 Honours in that time.

European Cup: 2005

UEFA Cup: 2001

FA Cup: 1992, 2001, 2006

League Cup: 1995, 2001, 2003, 2012

And the ceremonial trophies, but still trophies...

European Super Cup: 2001, 2005

F.A. Charity Shield: 2001, 2006

Not a bad haul for such a shit club in such a shit period, when one considers the relative stability and continuity certain other clubs have had with one having the same manager for 11 years without as much as a full house at bingo.

As shit as we've been, we've still won 13 trophies in 23 years. That level of shitness is massively envied by other clubs.[/quote']

You can't knock that. Off the top of my head, only Chelsea (and obviously United) could match it... and even then, I'm not sure about Chelsea - depends on how much weight you apply to some titles.

People really do forget that Liverpool grab a trophy every few years, regardless. Amazing haul really.

Still' date=' Sourness' biggest sin was the destroying of the iconic Boot Room. It wasn't his to destroy. It was a fundamental part of the club's identity. His ego made him want to make his own mark and make a new era. He most definitely did that, but not in a positive way. and we've been paying ever since.[/quote']

With a bit of luck, this is what Moyes will do at United.

When you take over from a great, or a succession of them, there's two options.... stick to the formula, or impose your own regime... sooner or later someone will opt to impose their own regime, and it's a hell of a risk. I don't know if it's personal ego that causes it, or a genuine belief that it's necessary to 'move wi th the times'. It's more understandable if you're no longer winning, but if you're still doing well, then it's a hell of a call!

Personally I think Liverpool's decline started with the European ban. Slowly at first, but it was the first blow... then Hillsborough affecting Kenny and undoubtably many others... it just seemed like a succession of blows (from the outside)

Clinging on to traditions and not thinking of the future hamstrung us. Whilst others moved on we didn't evolve. Owners not taking advantage of our success and using it to build upon cost us. Also united being in Salford room to grow and expand getting success at just the right time and growing with the game fucking jammy cunts it always falls sweet for that fucking club.

David Moores was responsible for the downfall of our club. Everything else happened around him as he was more interested in posing in his personalised ferrari whilst not being intelligent enough to even know what google was.

He is the reason.

Still' date=' Sourness' biggest sin was the destroying of the iconic Boot Room. It wasn't his to destroy. It was a fundamental part of the club's identity. His ego made him want to make his own mark and make a new era. He most definitely did that, but not in a positive way. and we've been paying ever since.[/quote']

His biggest sin was selling his story to that rag. He should have been sacked in April 1992.

I still stand by my opinion that when all we needed was a stiff breeze, in blew a hurricane. Souness was a hurricane. My hope is that Moyes does exactly the same thing. It will undoubtedly end in failure.

In order to succeed an icon, you must be strong, but you must also be clever. The fact of the matter is, the only person that has ever successfully succeeded an icon and done better than the icon was Bob Paisley.

How did he do it? He learnt his trade at the feet of the master. He said nothing, and was clever enough to take everything in. Bob Paisleys biggest strength was listening. There is not enough words to describe how clever this quiet humble man was.

This is the man that became footballs first self taught physiotherapist. He visited every hospital in the UK learning about every injury that a footballer could endure. He could spot an injury from 10 yards.

I'm 100% Moyes will do it backwards and not follow one simple rule. You are born with two ears and one mouth, use them in the right proportion.

He actually started the rot before signing them two. Four things that happened at the start of his first full season in charge started it all.

Mc Mahon left and he sold Beardsley and brought in Saunders and Walters. The final thing was to totally change the training methods we had used since Shanks and use his own methods.

Basically, he inherited the reigning champions who were on top of the League and announced that he had the biggest rebuilding job since Shankly.

He was a cunt and a liability even before he sold his arse to that rag.

Souness took over a brilliant team that was past its best. Brilliant players like Beardsley, Whelan, Rush, mcmahon, houghton and Nicol were all in or around 30. The process of replacing them needed to begin, but as another poster said, it needed to be done at a slower pace. unfortunately Souey was like a hurricane. Not only did he replace club legends, he replaced them with inferior players, who in some cases were highly disruptive. In the case of beardo and houghton, both were top players for years, while Staunton was very good at Villa. I truly believe Souey felt threatened by some of those senior players and the stubbornness and arrogance that was the hallmark of his great career shone to the fore in him getting rid of them. If he'd slowly integrated the new players things could have been so different.

I’ve long held this theory that the magic ingredient behind our long period of dominance was Bob Paisley’s uncanny ability to identify “Liverpool players” as he used to put it. I think you can do all the scouting, background research etc, all the conscious, lucid, analytic stuff but, in the end it all comes down to an instinctive judgement. Does this guy have what it takes to make it at Anfield or not? Something Bob himself probably couldn’t really explain, just a gut feeling he used to have maybe. It was an incredibly rare gift, maybe Peter Taylor came close to Paisley. I can’t think of anyone else.

Paisley might have stepped down as manager in 1983 but he acted as an advisor and consultant to Kenny right up until 1987 when he moved upstairs to the boardroom. That summer we bought Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge and Houghton. All players, I suspect, Bob approved of, may have even scouted himself. After that, for the rest of Kenny’s first spell in charge, the only “Liverpool player” we brought in was Ian Rush in 1988. The rest were nowhere near, the likes of Speedie and Carter. Even though Bob had stepped down as manager 7 years before, the team that last won the League in 1990 consisted almost entirely of players he would have had a hand in recruiting. After that team was broken up his influence faded and so did our hegemony over english football.

Anyway, perhaps the magic ingredient behind the success the mancs have had over the last 20 years has been Ferguson’s ability to create teams with his own win at all costs, use any dirty trick available, stop at nothing personality. Moyes just doesn’t have that extreme an attitude to winning. For example Phil Neville recently made the point that, unlike Ferguson, Moyes tells his players not to hound referees. So it will be fascinating to see how the mancs fare in the next few seasons as Ferguson’s malign, in my opinion, influence wanes.

Makes you wonder what the fuck he was doing doesn't it?

Having not been alive (was born in 89) during Shanks, Paisely, and the Kings first reign I obviously wasn't exposed to how we trained back then but why would a player like Souness, who enjoyed so much success under those managers and hence their training methods change the whole thing?

It makes no sense to me at all

Souness has an ego the size of a planet. It's what drove him as a player (it fuelled his drive and determination to achieve his beleief that he was the best around), but in management it's been his biggest weakness.