You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Everyone seems to be saying Inter are skint but why then would they want to sell somebody who will be on minimal wages (I'm guessing this since they signed him at 16) if they thought he could contribute on the pitch?

Surely they'd be wanting to move on their Cole/Aquilani equivalents and be wanting to keep any rising stars on a fair wage relative to their ability?

Bit skeptical about this - just cos he's Brazillian doesn't mean he's any good. Or suited to European football.

Everyone seems to be saying Inter are skint but why then would they want to sell somebody who will be on minimal wages (I'm guessing this since they signed him at 16) if they thought he could contribute on the pitch?

Surely they'd be wanting to move on their Cole/Aquilani equivalents and be wanting to keep any rising stars on a fair wage relative to their ability?

Bit skeptical about this - just cos he's Brazillian doesn't mean he's any good. Or suited to European football.

They are skint but they are not selling to 'survive'.

They are selling in order to be able to afford their main target - Paulinho - who'd probably cost them the best part of 17m. With Sneijder and Coutinho going, they could afford that. Otherwise, they probably couldn't.

They are skint but they are not selling to 'survive'.

They are selling in order to be able to afford their main target - Paulinho - who'd probably cost them the best part of 17m. With Sneijder and Coutinho going, they could afford that. Otherwise, they probably couldn't.

My question is why sacrifice Coutinho if he is really that good and worth getting excited over?

Nope' date=' and both are younger and neither are as good.

Coutinho is a full Brazilian international, remember.[/quote']

Insua was a full Argentina international when with us, he was still shite.

Anyway I know little about this lad, but sounds similar to Suso so I hope we loan Suso out rather than let him go stake if couthinho arrives.

All up for bringing in good, young players but dont we have suso and texeria (the lad we got from sporting last year) in that position??

Thank you for mreinding me.

That Texeria lad turned out to have a serious back problem but they (I'm assuming the medics) advised that he was worth the risk. He's been in back brace or cast like restriction and has only started playing again. So expect him not to be ready for at least another year. So that leaves Suso, Wilson now on loan so that free's up a bit of wage as well. He was on a decent wedge as when we bought him he was already a Scottish international with CL experience.

Using that logic, how would you ever buy a bargain? Why did Swansea get Michu for £2m? There are loads of teams that let players go.

Of course they are skint! That is why they were so desperate to get Sneijder off the payroll for a nominal fee.

And most other Italian teams are skint.

Surprised they are skint with Moratti as their owner (doesn't he own an oil company), but I do believe him to be a double talking shit who will promise the world to someone then deny the conversation ever took place.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We need to be a bit more realistic. We're not able to attract, let alone afford the very top players. We're not at the top levels of the game at the moment, so we need to be a bit smarter than just putting £30m into signing a top player. We can't do that, so we're rightly looking at players with a load of talent, but for whatever reason are available.

Coutinho has a load of talent, but he has stagnated at Inter. If we can get him here, get him fully match fit, he could be a very smart purchase. I don't really see the negativity towards this signing. It's a far smarter purchase than Ince might have been. As much as I'd like us to go and make an offer for Mertens which is just too good for them to refuse, we're quite a way from that being a reality.

Using that logic, how would you ever buy a bargain? Why did Swansea get Michu for £2m? There are loads of teams that let players go.

My point is exactly that. Countinho seems to be someone who's had a couple of years worth of chances, not really cut it, not really of any use apart from sell on value and now the owners want rid. The more I read about him the less of a bargain he sounds.

Different valuations but a similar scenario to a Pacheco now or Suso in a few years if he doesn't develop. Brazil give caps away. The fact he has one senior cap isn't that great an indication of his ability.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
My point is exactly that. Countinho seems to be someone who's had a couple of years worth of chances, not really cut it, not really of any use apart from sell on value and now the owners want rid. The more I read about him the less of a bargain he sounds.

Different valuations but a similar scenario to a Pacheco now or Suso in a few years if he doesn't develop. Brazil give caps away. The fact he has one senior cap isn't that great an indication of his ability.

Have you seen him play?

Have you seen him play?

Not live I haven't. That's why I said read about him. General opinion is that is he's lightweight and makes a lot of wrong decisions. The highlight packages on the net of all his touches in a specific games seem to back this up for me. Game for Inter v Palermo for example.

The crux of what I am saying anyway is why don't Inter want him after developing him for four years?

This isn't going to happen is it? And we are going to end up paying Blackpool 7m for Ince on the final day of the window aren't we?

7? Probably 12m with add ons. Then Ayre will declare how shrewd we are and how he fits the "profile of player" for the 'project', and how we won't overpay for anyone.

Exactly. I know they're far from a popular example, but as Everton currently reside above us in the table and we're having to become accustomed to shopping in a slightly different market, it's probably worth noting several managers had passed up or moved on Arteta and Pienaar.

I know they cost significantly less than the fee we're discussing for this lad, but the principle of players not working out elsewhere still potentially being excellent signings for us with a bit of time and attention stands. Most would happily have brought both here once Gollum dusted them down and got them going again. Time will tell if Rodgers has the same astute eye for a player - early signs with Sturridge are promising.

Insua was a full Argentina international when with us, he was still shite.

Anyway I know little about this lad, but sounds similar to Suso so I hope we loan Suso out rather than let him go stake if couthinho arrives.

I'm not saying winning a cap for Brazil makes him awesome. I'm saying he's clearly further ahead than Suso and Teixeira. Winning a cap, as a forward, for a country like Brazil is a pretty big achievement for a young player, I reckon. Argentina have got hardly any left backs but Brazil have got loads of world class forwards

He's another Sturridge potentially. Both were excellent when youngsters and miles ahead of their peers and expected to walk into the first team.

However it's not that easy when you are competing against world class players with big reputations or their are numerous managerial changes so no manager really has time to develop you.

We could get an amazing talent for a decent fee who needs to be coached and developed into the player he can be. I think it would be a gamble but a calculated one, I`d be made up if we got him

He's another Sturridge potentially. Both were excellent when youngsters and miles ahead of their peers and expected to walk into the first team.

However it's not that easy when you are competing against world class players with big reputations or their are numerous managerial changes so no manager really has time to develop you.

We could get an amazing talent for a decent fee who needs to be coached and developed into the player he can be. I think it would be a gamble but a calculated one' date=' I`d be made up if we got him[/quote']

My view on it, pretty much.

With the addition that Rodgers, Ayre, FSG, Comolli and Parry are useless cunts if we don't get him.