You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

Exactly, but people like 'nightcat' don't know what they're talking about. In the Uruguay v Argentina game the other week, all 3 of them started with Suarez playing centre forward (he was wearing the number 9 shirt by the way) and Cavani and Forlan either side of him.

I think it was a fair argument last season as he wasn't very prolific and a 1 in 3 goal ratio isn't really good enough for a lone striker.

But this season? He's the joint top scorer in the league and has probably been the league's best player so far. This system gets the most out of him, there's no need to tinker with his position while he's in this form.

I agree that it would be madness to change his position, especially when Suarez can match any strikers record currently plus bring more to the team.

People keep saying this but he keeps being played upfront on his own for Uruguay & Liverpool.

But he doesn' play as a lone striker for Uruguay.

Exactly, but people like 'nightcat' don't know what they're talking about. In the Uruguay v Argentina game the other week, all 3 of them started with Suarez playing centre forward (he was wearing the number 9 shirt by the way) and Cavani and Forlan either side of him.

So you two agree that Suarez used as a lone striker for Uruguay, although you seem to admit that he plays alonside Forlan and Cavani. Yeah ok.

The other day? Have you actually watched Suarez before he joined Liverpool?

Uruguay reached the WC semi final and won the Copa America in 2011 with Suarez, Forlan and Cavani up front. Does this tell you anything?

Two shots on target against Chelsea. Rodgers himself said that's not good enough. The oppoisition box is constantly empty. But apparently it's good for you. We're doing the same mistake we did with Torres. We rely heavily on one only striker and that's mainly because we are skint again. This time though the rest of the team is pants so we are 13th.

We need a proper arl arse up front who is out and out poacher as well as a pacey player.

Misroslav Klose is still banging them in at Roma at the age of 34. Fucking class.

Could he still play for 2 more years at the top. I think so. Clever as fuck he is.

Klose still has it. I suggested him last summer but some of the clowns in here disagree. They want mediocre players to play for us. They love to see non-scoring striker more than a top striker in the team. Fucking clown.

Cheeky bid for Klose and Huntelaar.

Chelsea had four players converge on Suarez... every fucking time he touched the ball... You're surprised that he only had two shots?

No, I'm surprised that some people think that we don't need another striker.

Of course they will have four players marking him. Is anyone else scoring for us? That's my point.

I don't necessarily think it needs to be an out and out striker. It does need to be a goal scorer. The ideal signing would be a player who could play wide in the 4-3-3 and get goals, and possibly versatile enough to play CF if Suarez is rested also. Someone who can play with Suarez, and not just in place of him. I guess someone like Suarez. Find another.

Bents been injured lately, is 28 years of age, has fell out with his manager, is very limited in his play, is on big wages and can't get in Villas team.

We'll sign him for £15m probably!

Having said all that, he's quickish, decent in the air and can finish. For £7m he would improve us.

Our ideal January signing is going to turn out keeping Suarez. Just like Ayre said about keeping him in summer.

I fully expect to see this shit wheeled out every transfer window. I actually expect City to be in for him, but I think the fact this story was put into the media by us, speaks volumes.

I don't trust a single person that is making important decisions in our club. Not one.

Keeping Suarez will allow everyone to slap themselves on the back at a transfer window well done, whilst in the mean time we still aren't investing in our first team.

Our ideal January signing is going to turn out keeping Suarez. Just like Ayre said about keeping him in summer.

I fully expect to see this shit wheeled out every transfer window. I actually expect City to be in for him' date=' but I think the fact this story was put into the media by us, speaks volumes.

I don't trust a single person that is making important decisions in our club. Not one.

Keeping Suarez will allow everyone to slap themselves on the back at a transfer window well done, whilst in the mean time we still aren't investing in our first team.[/quote']

Don't forget getting Suso and sterling to sign new deals

We need players who instinctively drive into the box when we are on the attack. We had that under Kenny with the likes of Maxi, Kuyt, Bellamy, Meireles and a younger, more mobile Gerrard - we scored for fun. Unfortunately we have replaced those consistent goal threats with players who are either too static, inexperienced or lack the necessary bottle to take risks. Predictably, the goals have dried up.

Whilst I wasn't very enthused about the prospect of signing Demsey during the Summer, I think I now understand Brendan's logic; he wants attacking players who bust a gut to get into the box. Borini has shown an appetite for doing exactly that despite not being a natural wide player and struggling for goals so far. Siggurdson also shares this trait.

Walcott offers pace, positional flexibility and a consistent goal/assist record. I can therefore definitely see him appealing to our manager. What a pity Swansea picked up Michu for a song - he would excel in our system!

I expect us to do quite a bit of business in the next window as the new scouting team will be in place which should assuage some of FSG's concerns. We should have money available given the failure to bring in another attacker in the Summer and there will possibly be a few departures in Downing, Cole and Henderson. It strikes me that the manager is making a real point by playing the youngsters.

That's an intelligent analysis of us at the moment. May even include Pepe in the last bit, no way he's been injured until now, he's on big wages and has lost the confidence of the manager.

Whether we like it or not, Rodgers is intent on building a squad in his own image. I remember the story going around before he was appointed that at his interview he told FSG that if he got the job he would dismantle the squad and he's already done that to an extent. The squad that starts next season will be unrecognisable from the one he inherited.

That's an intelligent analysis of us at the moment. May even include Pepe in the last bit, no way he's been injured until now, he's on big wages and has lost the confidence of the manager.

Whether we like it or not, Rodgers is intent on building a squad in his own image. I remember the story going around before he was appointed that at his interview he told FSG that if he got the job he would dismantle the squad and he's already done that to an extent. The squad that starts next season will be unrecognisable from the one he inherited.

So its next year that the 5 year plan starts?

The only thing Bent brings to his game is goals, akin to Fletcher at Sunderland.

If we can get Bent for Downing, make it happen as Downing is appalling. But wouldn't want to spend millions on him.

We must learn from our mistakes, when we buy the best players from average or mid table teams (Carroll, Adam, Henderson, Downing, Enrique), we find ourselves..mid table. City and united buy from Arsenal, Chelsea buy from us and we buy from Blackpool. Why don't we just buy Walcott, he will bring assists for Suarez and Borini and will get a few himself.

We do our best work when we promote from within or have an eye for talent abroad and apart from Rafa, we have only been successful recently with Suarez.

Short term - Downing for Bent makes sense, Bent is akin to Huntelaar and will provide cover for Suarez. Add in a Walcott/Mertens or even the young Serb from Herenveen and we will be better off.

I wouldn't buy Darren Bent, I wouldn't advocate spending a penny on him - but I would swap him for Downing.

Short term - Downing for Bent makes sense, Bent is akin to Huntelaar and will provide cover for Suarez. Add in a Walcott/Mertens or even the young Serb from Herenveen and we will be better off.

I wouldn't buy Darren Bent, I wouldn't advocate spending a penny on him - but I would swap him for Downing.

Now, that would would make an excellent signature