You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Carroll has been playing very well apparently for West Ham (albeit without any goals!).

What do you class as very well? He's knocking down or flicking on long balls. He's a striker who hasn't scored and has no assists. He's a slightly more mobile lamp post.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What do you class as very well? He's knocking down or flicking on long balls. He's a striker who hasn't scored and has no assists. He's a slightly more mobile lamp post.

Hah, Code negged this post. Quality. He loves Andy. Him and Voronin up front, eh, Code?

]We need a proper arl arse up front who is out and out poache[/b]r as well as a pacey player.

Misroslav Klose is still banging them in at Roma at the age of 34. Fucking class.

Could he still play for 2 more years at the top. I think so. Clever as fuck he is.

People keep saying this, and I used to as well, but surely Luis has proved us all wrong and shown that he can lead the line. Hes top scorer in the league. It would be madness to start moving him around now, hes pretty much the only player in the squad performing to a high level every week. We goals from other positions. Moving Suarez around to incorporate the likes of Klose is madness. Madness I tell you!

People keep saying this, and I used to as well, but surely Luis has proved us all wrong and shown that he can lead the line. Hes top scorer in the league. It would be madness to start moving him around now, hes pretty much the only player in the squad performing to a high level every week. We goals from other positions. Moving Suarez around to incorporate the likes of Klose is madness. Madness I tell you!

Yeah I got to agree.

Although I would like to see one option come who can play centrally instead of Suarez.

But for me someone like Walcott who can play wide of Suarez is the priority, as we need match winners, doesn't matter where they play centre or wide. Our wide players don't really get goals or assists. Walcott can!

Also as you say Suarez is thriving centrally!

Madness? Have you missed the fact that we had only two shots on goal against Chelsea? Have you missed the countless times the opposition box remains empty and Suarez is looking desperate when he realises there is no one to pass the ball to?

We can't compete like that, we are a midtable team with one only striker, who will grow more and more frustrated. Unless you think that Suarez is happy to collect Standard Chartered awards and his salary while we are fighting Swansea for 13 place.

Actually, Suarez plays much better around a centre forward. You haven't seen anything from him yet.

We need players who instinctively drive into the box when we are on the attack. We had that under Kenny with the likes of Maxi, Kuyt, Bellamy, Meireles and a younger, more mobile Gerrard - we scored for fun. Unfortunately we have replaced those consistent goal threats with players who are either too static, inexperienced or lack the necessary bottle to take risks. Predictably, the goals have dried up.

Whilst I wasn't very enthused about the prospect of signing Demsey during the Summer, I think I now understand Brendan's logic; he wants attacking players who bust a gut to get into the box. Borini has shown an appetite for doing exactly that despite not being a natural wide player and struggling for goals so far. Siggurdson also shares this trait.

Walcott offers pace, positional flexibility and a consistent goal/assist record. I can therefore definitely see him appealing to our manager. What a pity Swansea picked up Michu for a song - he would excel in our system!

I expect us to do quite a bit of business in the next window as the new scouting team will be in place which should assuage some of FSG's concerns. We should have money available given the failure to bring in another attacker in the Summer and there will possibly be a few departures in Downing, Cole and Henderson. It strikes me that the manager is making a real point by playing the youngsters.

Suarez plays much better around a centre forward. You haven't seen anything from him yet.

People keep saying this but he keeps being played upfront on his own for Uruguay & Liverpool.

Cavani, someone who loads on here were hoping/wishing that we would sign, was dropped to get Suarez upfront on his own with Forlan behind. Surely if he was actually better around a centre forward they'd get Cavani on the pitch as he's been in lethal form for Napoli over the last 2 seasons.

People keep saying this but he keeps being played upfront on his own for Uruguay & Liverpool.

Cavani, someone who loads on here were hoping/wishing that we would sign, was dropped to get Suarez upfront on his own with Forlan behind. Surely if he was actually better around a centre forward they'd get Cavani on the pitch as he's been in lethal form for Napoli over the last 2 seasons.

Exactly, but people like 'nightcat' don't know what they're talking about. In the Uruguay v Argentina game the other week, all 3 of them started with Suarez playing centre forward (he was wearing the number 9 shirt by the way) and Cavani and Forlan either side of him.