You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tories - convince me you're not evil

Gym Beglin

Nietzsche inspired the idea of the waffen SS Superman, 6'2 fellas with square jaws and no fillings who frequently had their arses handed to them by half Irish simpletons from Philadelphia with the slouched demeanour of a half empty sack of spuds running around Bastogne with no shoes on. Nietzsche sucks balls.

It's a pity they misunderstood him then. Hardly, his fault.
  • Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

What would you recommend to get alternative viewpoints on Morality in this emerging post-christendom age?

Nietzsche. I wasn't meaning to denigrate your suggestion. Just commenting on how it messed with my general view of the world.

Nietzsche. I wasn't meaning to denigrate your suggestion. Just commenting on how it messed with my general view of the world.

No I know what you mean, he's pretty weird,both in style and substance. He reminds me of Dennis. "Socrates must have been wrong because he was so ugly".

I was just wondering what to read next that's as interesting. It seemed a much fuller perspective than Kant or Sartre.

Bear in mind the only time we've ever seen the British public stand up and demand more for themselves was after the single most cataclysmic war the world has ever known reduced all our cities to rubble and there was lots of jobless blokes running around who knew how to use guns. Our history before and since has been one of doffing our cap to our betters and finding a quiet corner to die in. Bottoms up.

Not having that Sec. Levellers, Chartists, Peasants' Revolt, Kett's Rebellion, Roundheads, Tolpuddle Martyrs, Luddites, Jarrow marchers, Reform League, Suffragettes, trade union movement (the Attlee government wouldn't have happened without it), CND, anti-war protests in the 60s (kept British troops out of Vietnam), miners' strikes, winter of discontent, poll tax riots. This country has a long history of people standing up to the establishment when they're being fucked over.

The reason this tradition has been largely absent in our lifetimes is that the neoliberal elite have very skilfully developed a convincing sounding narrative that says their economic system is the best that ordinary people can hope for. They've used their control of traditional mass media to drive this message home when needed, and to distract people from questioning it the rest of the time. During this time they've been assisted by the Labour Party, the most natural vehicle for opposition to their crusade, alternating between not wanting to challenge the narrative and lacking the political and media smarts to do so effectively.

That situation isn't sustainable. Sooner or later the neolibs will push people too far, because they don't know when to stop. There's a growing feeling among electorates all over the western world that this system isn't working for them, and the rising tide of austerity and privatisation will affect more and more people. Middle class voters who didn't bat an eyelid when disability benefits were being slashed will start kicking off when their elderly parents can't get proper cancer treatment and their kids are sitting on the floor being taught by supply teachers every other lesson. Eventually the extent to which the majority are being taken for a ride will become so self-evident that no amount of media manipulation will be able to mask it.

The prospect of this happening won't stop the neolibs taking the piss though. They can't help themselves. Like the scorpion in the fable, they'll continue to act like destructive sociopathic animals even when it's clearly no longer in their interest to do so, because they can't conceive of any other way of existing.

I'd like to think that before things reach the crunch point the Labour Party will have got its shit together and produced leaders like Attlee and Bevan who have the courage and the skill to sell a left-wing economic programme to the electorate. But if not then things are going to go off big time, and the establishment won't be able to contain it and won't be able to keep their system intact. You can't fool all of the people all of the time, not even in this country.

• Upvote 4

Laugh away you sick fuck and enjoy the repping from your snide, callous mates. Your party has caused hundreds of mentally and physically ill people to commit suicide and is continuing its eugenics campaign as we speak.

I'm assuming you've still not managed to ignore me you drongo.

So at the last count that's snide, callous, racist, lacking in taste, having shit politics, being intellectually limited and biased.

It sure is chastening running into a man like Hades on the Internet. You do learn new things about yourself everyday though.

Oh it was much, much worse than that, he called you my mate!!! Ha ha

No I know what you mean, he's pretty weird,both in style and substance. He reminds me of Dennis. "Socrates must have been wrong because he was so ugly".

I was just wondering what to read next that's as interesting. It seemed a much fuller perspective than Kant or Sartre.

Feckin' Kant.

I'm reading a lot of Seneca and a bit of Epicurus these days, to be fair.

Not having that Sec. Levellers, Chartists, Peasants' Revolt, Kett's Rebellion, Roundheads, Tolpuddle Martyrs, Luddites, Jarrow marchers, Reform League, Suffragettes, trade union movement (the Attlee government wouldn't have happened without it), CND, anti-war protests in the 60s (kept British troops out of Vietnam), miners' strikes, winter of discontent, poll tax riots. This country has a long history of people standing up to the establishment when they're being fucked over.

The reason this tradition has been largely absent in our lifetimes is that the neoliberal elite have very skilfully developed a convincing sounding narrative that says their economic system is the best that ordinary people can hope for. They've used their control of traditional mass media to drive this message home when needed, and to distract people from questioning it the rest of the time. During this time they've been assisted by the Labour Party, the most natural vehicle for opposition to their crusade, alternating between not wanting to challenge the narrative and lacking the political and media smarts to do so effectively.

That situation isn't sustainable. Sooner or later the neolibs will push people too far, because they don't know when to stop. There's a growing feeling among electorates all over the western world that this system isn't working for them, and the rising tide of austerity and privatisation will affect more and more people. Middle class voters who didn't bat an eyelid when disability benefits were being slashed will start kicking off when their elderly parents can't get proper cancer treatment and their kids are sitting on the floor being taught by supply teachers every other lesson. Eventually the extent to which the majority are being taken for a ride will become so self-evident that no amount of media manipulation will be able to mask it.

The prospect of this happening won't stop the neolibs taking the piss though. They can't help themselves. Like the scorpion in the fable, they'll continue to act like destructive sociopathic animals even when it's clearly no longer in their interest to do so, because they can't conceive of any other way of existing.

I'd like to think that before things reach the crunch point the Labour Party will have got its shit together and produced leaders like Attlee and Bevan who have the courage and the skill to sell a left-wing economic programme to the electorate. But if not then things are going to go off big time, and the establishment won't be able to contain it and won't be able to keep their system intact. You can't fool all of the people all of the time, not even in this country.

Yep, there's a reason why the curriculum teaches kids more about the US civil war than the English civil war. "The English don't do revolution" is the message they like us to swallow.

• Upvote 1

Imagine if someone on here described blacks or Muslims as lower than vermin, they'd probably be crucified (literally).

Nevertheless, at least nobody can have any complaints when the Tories see them as vermin too, right? Oh wait, I forgot about that 900 page thread to that effect. Ah well, consistency must be a verminous trait too.