You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd fan in peace

Gary24

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on the money.

It's one thing singing horrible songs about your biggest rivals when you're actually playing them, and that can be expected, if not excused.

But to sing them every week, irrespective of who the opposition is, is surely demonstrative of something altogether more sinister and pathological.

I won't even begin to justify Munich chants (though I've never heard them sung at the ground myself) but the narrative being spun that this is six of one and half a dozen of the other is so far from reality that it does Liverpool fans an injustice.

How old are you pal? Me and the lads were discussing this up in Edinburgh recently. How embarrassed all but one of us around the table that most of anfield used to sing the runway song every time they came to our place. Then they started singing shankly songs and it got even nastier. Since hillsborough it appeared to calm down a bit but recent years have seen it escalate again which suggests it will always happen.

Munich

Shankly

Heysel

Shipman etc

Once time has passed, some 'smartarse' will resurrect, or invent a new chant thinking it to be a) original and b) witty/clever.

We get City fans STILL calling United fans 'Munichs'... and I'm certain many of them don't even know a City player died in the tragedy and Sir Matt himself was a City player (not that it matters WHO they played for)

I could almost understand some of it, if it was just young teenage kids who weren't around when a tragedy happened, and have no real empathy or understanding of the impact of it. What I find most disturbing of all, is that it's often middle aged blokes, some of whom I'd say are well over 40!

That's what I really struggle to understand.

I'm not condoning the young chanting stuff, merely that I can see young lads who don't know any better MIGHT start doing it. For me, you only have to look at the names on the memorial to be totally moved and shocked at the same time. The range of ages, the obvious relatives, men, women, kids. Heartbreaking.

But then you need only hear about Mark Halsey and family's appalling twitter threats and comments... and you realise that there are just people out there who beyond help.

I can remember making jokes about the Bradford City disaster, and although it's no excuse, I'd never have dreamed of joking about it to relatives of victims etc. To actively chant and torment others about disasters is just sickening.

And to make matters worse, these people are often spouting about Shankly or Busby, when I believe both great men would be turning in their graves at the vile animosity.

Shankly was a wit. He had a laugh at football, and 'put down' rivals with humour - and good spirited humour at that. It's a pity more fans of both clubs can't exemplify the same behaviour.