You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two points:

1) Pep Guardiola, Cesare Menotti, Bernd Schuster, del Bosque, Leonardo all managed those clubs with zero, or limited managerial experience

2) Current club position

This isn't a dream mate, it's happening. 'Why the fuck' questions are all well and good but they won't make the problem disappear or change reality.

They HAVE just fired Kenny.

They DID think Roy was the man.

And you're suggesting it's outlandish to the think they MIGHT go for a long shot?

If you're right, then they shouldn't even be talking to Martinez. The fact he's on any sort of radar should tell you something.

I'm not saying he's the man (or isn't) - but please, at least be honest with yourself about what's going on.

Pointless attempting to reason with FEG lad, he's our version of 'the special one' - only with a different meaning entirely

I've seen suggestions 'intermediaries' for the club have spoken to vilas Boas. There has been no comment by the club to substantiate this like there has been for talking to martinez.

I also have not heard one whisper, except from fans forums that, benitez has been spoken to. I'd go as far as to say that is wishful thinking.

I still dont get why people think the club is just 'interviewing' martinez. Yeah, like we are just going to piss about and lay a false trail.

He's being interviewed with a view to becoming the next LFC manager. Sorry but anyone thinking otherwise just doesnt get it.

It may be true 100% of fans will ever back the choice of manager, hell, some didnt back the King so what chance has martinez, rodger and lambert got?

But, the point is, all of them do not measure up to what the club's expectations are or should be, never mind Dalglish.

Wont be Martinez all the club is doing is trying to show us fans that there looking seriously at everyone to find the best person.

The club will all ready either have someone or at the least already asked the person they want and for whatever reason arnt saying who yet.

It could be they want to show us fans there checking everyone out or the person they want hasnt decided.

There could be some other reason they arnt able to announce it.

I get the feeling they have had someone for a bit to,also that Kenny knows who it is as well.

Infact if what Carra has said about Kenny leaving then Kenny knew before he flew to Boston that he was out.

FSG are interviewing a lot of candidates, none of which are dead-certs for the job despite what the media says. FSG will be gathering opinions and views on how the club can progress and will pick the most suitable manager for the role that will improve the club and make them money.

They have already, it would seem, spoken to AVB and Rafa, both of whom in my humble opinion would be safer choices than Martinez. Over the coming days / weeks they may find more suitable candidates than AVB and Rafa.

They will not choose Martinez to take on their project for the myriad reasons mentioned above as it is just a gamble and good businessmen take calculated risks, not gambles. It just doesn't make sense.

If they did (which I massively doubt will happen) choose Martinez though.. what do we do? It seems impossible for FSG to employ a manager 100% of the fans will approve of.

I agree. You can't get a 100% backed guy. Results will win fans over (or lose them) in the end.

Surely their target man will be based (in part) on the money they want to spend. If it's big money, then that's more attractive to a top manager AND a top manager is more attractive to incoming players.

If they don't plan on spending too much more, then that changes the picture entirely.

Top managers want to come to Liverpool? Absolutely

Top managers come to Liverpool with no money? Forget it

Guest San Don
Wont be Martinez all the club is doing is trying to show us fans that there looking seriously at everyone to find the best person.

The club will all ready either have someone or at the least already asked the person they want and for whatever reason arnt saying who yet.

It could be they want to show us fans there checking everyone out or the person they want hasnt decided.

There could be some other reason they arnt able to announce it.

I get the feeling they have had someone for a bit to,also that Kenny knows who it is as well.

Infact if what Carra has said about Kenny leaving then Kenny knew before he flew to Boston that he was out.

You're entitled to your opinion mate but I dont buy that one bit. There's no way the owners are wanting to speak to martinez other than he is a serious candidate for the job.

Guest San Don
Can I just ask, is there anything behind us actually going for him? I heard a bit on the radio before, it was just Whelan saying we could speak to him. Nothing actually from our end?

whelan said LFC approached him at about 20 to 6 to ask permission to speak to martinez.

There really is no way he would say that unless the club had actually approached him. That's a serious misrepresentation of LFC if he's lieing. He's also involved martinez in it as well so no, it isnt just whelan saying so.

Two points:

1) Pep Guardiola, Cesare Menotti, Bernd Schuster, del Bosque, Leonardo all managed those clubs with zero, or limited managerial experience

2) Current club position

This isn't a dream mate, it's happening. 'Why the fuck' questions are all well and good but they won't make the problem disappear or change reality.

They HAVE just fired Kenny.

They DID think Roy was the man.

And you're suggesting it's outlandish to the think they MIGHT go for a long shot?

If you're right, then they shouldn't even be talking to Martinez. The fact he's on any sort of radar should tell you something.

I'm not saying he's the man (or isn't) - but please, at least be honest with yourself about what's going on.

Just to correct you slightly, FSG had nothing to do with Roy's appointment; they arrived months after him.

Can I just ask, is there anything behind us actually going for him? I heard a bit on the radio before, it was just Whelan saying we could speak to him. Nothing actually from our end?

I think our end wanted this kept quiet. Of course, you'd have to be stupid to think Whelan would keep anything quiet.

You're entitled to your opinion mate but I dont buy that one bit. There's no way the owners are wanting to speak to martinez other than he is a serious candidate for the job.

Well I guess it might be down to the person they want/got season hasnt finished yet for being the reason it hasnt been announced yet.

They cant be seen to be doing nothing about looking for a new manager.

Cara said to Kenny just before going for his flight so is it Kenny now or still gaffer and he replied Kenny.

The only flight that could be is the one to Boston as Kenny has cancelled his holiday.

So he already knew he was out before going over and I guess common knowledge at the club why he was going over there to.

Theres also the fact that Whelan is well known for opening his mouth to the press about matters.

If we really wanted him dont you think it would of been said to him to keep his mouth shut about it,until they had spoken to Martinez?

Seriously the last thing I suspect FSG want out in the open is if Martinez turns us down.

Thats just my outlook on it.

Well at least if Benitez and AVB are on the list to be interviewed it means that only a total mentalist would appoint a hapless mediocrity like Roberto Martinez

So there is hope, although the fears that FSG are fucking clueless mongs are exacerbated by Martinez being on the short list in the first place

Well at least if Benitez and AVB are on the list to be interviewed it means that only a total mentalist would appoint a hapless mediocrity like Roberto Martinez

So there is hope, although the fears that FSG are fucking clueless mongs are exacerbated by Martinez being on the short list in the first place

Whelan said Roberto was working on something with him when the phone went

'its Liverpool, do you want to speak to them'

He said 'yes' straight away

They were obviously both round at Chez Whelans making a fort out of cardboard boxes in the living room.

"Roberto, me phone's going, lower the drawbridge".

Just to correct you slightly, FSG had nothing to do with Roy's appointment; they arrived months after him.

You're quite right! I stand corrected.

And any backing they might have given would be expect really. Par for the course isn't it?

Still, I think FSG are capable of anything - wouldn't discount a huge scoop or a relative nobody.

Sadly, that is true.

Hopefully common sense will prevail though.