You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra

Guest TK-421

The issue? It depends upon your perspective. Mine is that the high wages could be better spent. His contribution to the team is not commensurate with his salary. In saying that i take nothing away from his achievements in the past but it's the present and future im concerned with.

The issue? It depends upon your perspective. Mine is that the high wages could be better spent. His contribution to the team is not commensurate with his salary. In saying that i take nothing away from his achievements in the past but it's the present and future im concerned with.

I dont reckon Carra is on that high wages personally unless his last contract was a large increase.

If we do need a larger squad for more games next season i'd still prefer Carra not to be part of it.

Im not being insulting to Carra but really want him to finish at a good level as i feel that without regular games he'll look a very poor player and thats not fitting for him.

I dont reckon Carra is on that high wages personally unless his last contract was a large increase.

If we do need a larger squad for more games next season i'd still prefer Carra not to be part of it.

Im not being insulting to Carra but really want him to finish at a good level as i feel that without regular games he'll look a very poor player and thats not fitting for him.

Any money spent on a center back who may or may not perform better than Carra in the kind of routine games he should play in next year is money not spent elsewhere. With FSG only spending profit and with players like Kuyt and Maxi raising almost no fees that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I think providing his wages don't hamper the club in bringing other players in (reportedly on £80 grand a week), and he's happy playing more of a bit-part role, then I think everyone can see the benefit of his experience to the club in the next couple of years.

Agree with that, but he's not good enough to be getting a regular game anymore and that's the problem. He's probably not someone you can just throw in every now and again now and get a good performance from - he's someone that's always played regularly and we've seen him this season targetted as a weak link by opposition managers.

Carra is a legend in my eyes in the same way Emlyn Hughes is. Very similar players, neither the most naturally gifted but made the most of what they had. Both were leaders and organisers who helped to lift and gel those (often better players) around them. That was there value. Emlyn was lucky to play in far better teams than carra.

Agree with that, but he's not good enough to be getting a regular game anymore and that's the problem. He's not someone you can just throw in every now and again now and get a good performance from. We've seen him this season targetted as a weak link by opposition managers.

You'd be able to pick and choose his games I reckon. If we end up in the early rounds of the europa league for example. He could play plenty there and save having someone like Agger from having to start their season in early August.

In that case, Kuyt owes the club a fortune.

Carragher has fully accepted his reduced role in the playing squad. He's not first choice any more. Where is the issue? Well, actually, don't respond to that. We know what the issue is.

The issue is he's shot to pieces yet has still started 7 of the last 8 games while a quality youngster sits on his arse.

You've got to stop thinking any criticism of Carragher is due to love of Benitez, it's wrong and I'm cringing a bit for you really.

The issue is he's shot to pieces yet has still started 7 of the last 8 games while a quality youngster sits on his arse.

You've got to stop thinking any criticism of Carragher is due to love of Benitez, it's wrong and I'm cringing a bit for you really.

That's a KK issue not a Carragher issue.

If you think that Carragher picks himself in the team, then hopefully you don't mind if I question your powers of deductive reasoning.

I dont, it's poor management picking him, as is the lack of use of Maxi. See, I dont have little agenda's like you, I criticise whoever when it's fair.

get you. I am not sure what you think my agenda is here. Let me try to spell this out in the simplest terms possible....

* I have the greatest respect for Carragher, but I think his time as first choice player is over.

* If he gets picked instead of Coates in the remaining league games, I'll be disappointed, as it would seem the ideal time to be giving Coates game time.

* I hope Agger and Skrtel are the CB pairing for the final - as long as Enrique as rediscovered how to be a left back.

* I am frustrated that Maxi has not played a lot more, particularly when those selected play as consistently badly as they have. I'll be disappointed to see him go.

* Kenny has made lots of poor decisions this season - I'm hopeful (but not 100% confident) that he can turn things around.

Hope that clears things up for you.

So we are never allowed to comment on individual players?

Of course you are. The problem is though it's not simply about the player. It's not that Carra isn't good enough AT ALL. It's that he's not good enough for the games and situations he's being picked for. It's part of a broader issue that for a team that is supposedly going to reinvent itself through youth KK has been remarkably unimaginative in handling the integration of youth into the team. Layer that on top of the fact that for some reason he thinks breaking up the best central defensive partnership in the premier league is a good idea and you see that bigger questions need to be asked.

get you. I am not sure what you think my agenda is here. Let me try to spell this out in the simplest terms possible....

* I have the greatest respect for Carragher, but I think his time as first choice player is over.

* If he gets picked instead of Coates in the remaining league games, I'll be disappointed, as it would seem the ideal time to be giving Coates game time.

* I hope Agger and Skrtel are the CB pairing for the final - as long as Enrique as rediscovered how to be a left back.

* I am frustrated that Maxi has not played a lot more, particularly when those selected play as consistently badly as they have. I'll be disappointed to see him go.

* Kenny has made lots of poor decisions this season - I'm hopeful (but not 100% confident) that he can turn things around.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Thanks for the clarification. Makes it all the more baffling you can't just say this in the first place though instead of this bizarre Rafa paranoia.

Of course you are. The problem is though it's not simply about the player. It's not that Carra isn't good enough AT ALL. It's that he's not good enough for the games and situations he's being picked for. It's part of a broader issue that for a team that is supposedly going to reinvent itself through youth KK has been remarkably unimaginative in handling the integration of youth into the team. Layer that on top of the fact that for some reason he thinks breaking up the best central defensive partnership in the premier league is a good idea and you see that bigger questions need to be asked.

I think that's a bone of contention for a lot of people. Particulary with the likes of Raheem Sterling. We are/have been strugling with a lack of pace in wide midfield positions for some time. I personally think the past few weeks would have been the ideal opportunity to have given him a couple of starts. Kenny's blooded youngsters before, and I'm sure his reasoning is more to do with introducing the likes of Sterling at the right time for the club and the player. I also thought Jack Robinson was fantastic last season, and we'd have seen more of him this year. Again just my opinion.

Guest TK-421
In that case, Kuyt owes the club a fortune.

A poor if not unexpected response. Try tackling the argument on its merits, without recourse to Mr kuyt.

Anyone?

Most are saying Carra wouldn't get in the Stoke team? if thats true what does is say about Coates? really.... if Coates can't oust carra, i don't want the useless peace of shit near the club, 21yrs old or not.... Carra wouldn't even get in the Wolves teams.

Carra as played 7 of the last 8 games. so what does that tell you about Coates!!

Food for thought.