You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I think if we can get 20 mill, it's worth selling and bringing in someone who could be a rock at the back for the next 5-10 years at 10-15 mill. That's speaking as a big Agger fan as well.

Great idea. Where the fuck do we find someone as good as Agger for a cut-price fee though? And on current form, no-one's patient enough to let a young player make their inevitable mistakes over the next couple of years.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Our best players? Are people actually nuts? Aquilani is maybe the worst signing we've ever made.

He called Andy Carroll 'world class' last night. Probably best not to take him all that seriously at the moment.

He called Andy Carroll 'world class' last night. Probably best not to take him all that seriously at the moment.

He said Carroll was potentially world class, which is markedly different, you cheeky scamp.

I liked what little I saw of Aquilani in a red shirt and I could never understand why he wasn't given more of a chance, but that's football I suppose, and I don't have 36 years of experience from Halmstad to Neuchatel Xamax to be able to make those judgements.

I'm guessing he means at other clubs as well as us, during said period.

It wouldn't be hard to beat downing. He must be near double figures in 3 seasons.

I assumed he meant that too and even taking that into account he doesn't even have more assists than Downing or Adam. Let alone Bellamy, Gerrard, etc. etc.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He said Carroll was potentially world class, which is markedly different, you cheeky scamp.

We must be talking about a different post, because he outright called Carroll world class.

Edit: He changed it after I replied, luckily I quoted it before he did. At least he backed down from 'batshit-crazy' to 'just a bit daft'.

I liked what little I saw of Aquilani in a red shirt and I could never understand why he wasn't given more of a chance, but that's football I suppose, and I don't have 36 years of experience from Halmstad to Neuchatel Xamax to be able to make those judgements.

The man who bought him gave him the full 90 minutes three times and he started him nine times in the league after buying him for £20M and giving him a £125K a week paycheck.

Good times, now we have to pay to get rid of him, fantastic piece of business this.

Wedge Hammer! West Ham out to tempt Carroll with record salary

Reluctant Liverpool striker would become Londoners' best-paid player ever - and be on much more than he's getting at Anfield

Hammers boss Sam Allardyce is refusing to give up on his pursuit of the Liverpool and England centre-forward, despite Carroll making it clear he does not fancy a switch to Upton Park.

And West Ham’s hierarchy are ready to back their manager by putting together the biggest financial package in the club’s proud history - one that would represent a major hike from the £80k-a-week he's getting at Anfield.

It would also be a massive jump over what West Ham’s current top earners are on, but shows the London club mean business in their pursuit of Carroll.

West Ham have offered Liverpool a £19m deal for Carroll, made up of a £2m loan fee to borrow him for the coming season and a guaranteed £17m to make the move permanent next summer - provided they stay up on their return to the Premier League.

Liverpool are ready to take a huge hit on the striker, who joined them from hometown club Newcastle for £35m just 18 months ago.

Kop boss Brendan Rodgers does not believe Carroll will fit into his playing style and wants to generate cash to make signings.

It all leaves Carroll surplus to requirements on Merseyside, and West Ham locked in a battle with Newcastle to land him.

The Geordies, meanwhile, are trying to renegotiate their striker Demba Ba’s contract, even though the £7m buy-out clause written into his current deal expires at midnight.

There were no takers for Ba at £7m, and once the clause is no longer in effect Newcastle will want £15m for him.

West Ham believe that is a sign that the Magpies are planning to have Ba and Papiss Cisse as their first-choice strike force in the new season.

That is encouraging for Hammers who, despite their public denials, are still very much in the market for Carroll, even though it is believed he would favour a return to his native Tyneside.

Carroll is keen to stay at Anfield and fight for his place but with West Ham and Newcastle getting encouragement from Liverpool, the writing appears to be on the wall.

Liverpool transfers Andy Carroll to be offered £100k a week by West Ham in attempt to change his mind - Mirror Online

To be honest if I was a player from overseas, with no real ties to the club, of the standard of Reina, Suarez, Agger etc. I'd probably want out after seeing who Rodgers is targetting to bring in.

He's blowing the whole budget on players capable of making only a tiny difference to our results at best.

The man who bought him gave him the full 90 minutes three times and he started him nine times in the league after buying him for £20M and giving him a £125K a week paycheck.

Good times, now we have to pay to get rid of him, fantastic piece of business this.

If you honestly believe Aquilani was on 125k a week then your an idiot, Gerrard isn't even on that much. Take no notice of what 'Rafa hater' Chris Bascombe prints.

Why has this wage figure suddenly been leaked by the club?

Probably because the deal with Fiorentina included a pay off to Aquilani, so instead of the fans going "what a shit deal by Ayre/FSG/Rodgers" we are going "who the fuck gave Aquilani 125 grand a week, what a shit deal by Benitez/Purslow".

Probably because the deal with Fiorentina included a pay off to Aquilani, so instead of the fans going "what a shit deal by Ayre/FSG/Rodgers" we are going "who the fuck gave Aquilani 125 grand a week, what a shit deal by Benitez/Purslow".

Benitez/Purslow? What the fuck? You mean BENITEZ. He had full control.

Benitez/Purslow? What the fuck? You mean BENITEZ. He had full control.

Well, I meant it because some fans will blame Purslow. Not because I am blaming Purslow.

The full control thing is probably a bit of propaganda that you need to put aside, by the way. Unless you were involved at the club I don’t think you can know what Benitez had responsibility for, what was Purslow, where Macia was, when Hicks and Gillett stuck their oar in etc.

Best just to blame everyone.

Thank goodness I am being distracted by the wave of enthusiasm created by the Olympics because if I had to continuously read about our transfer business this summer I think I would have been close to topping myself. Inspiring it is not. Anyways back to the Olympics, we could have a few more medals today, the cyclists and rowers are taking over.

Thank goodness I am being distracted by the wave of enthusiasm created by the Olympics because if I had to continuously read about our transfer business this summer I think I would have been close to topping myself. Inspiring it is not. Anyways back to the Olympics, we could have a few more medals today, the cyclists and rowers are taking over.

It's ok because the manager has produced a 180 page document that outlines his philosophy of how to play football and given it to John Henry, plus we've got Chevrolet as a new club sponsor. This is more important than signing any decent players.

It's ok because the manager has produced a 180 page document that outlines his philosophy of how to play football and given it to John Henry, plus we've got Chevrolet as a new club sponsor. This is more important than signing any decent players.

He must have left the chapter out where it said we need players to play soccer.

The real problem is the endless hidden agenda driven drivel posted in these type of threads. It's quite incredible how suddenly press bullshit is accepted as gospel because it fits a spurious argument. They don't call it silly season for nothing.

Someone please tell me that the Times article saying that Bellamy will return to Cardiff is just drivel from another Murdoch inspired anti-Liverpool paper. To think that all our transfer efforts are going into shipping out Carroll and Bellamy just fills me with dread for the future!

Say it ain't so!