You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple enough question really. Be interesting to measure how people feel, I personally feel it could have been handled better, regardless of whether they feel he's innocent or not.

Plenty of people are kicking the boot in, racism is such a delicate issue it's hard to defend it without looking like an absolute nonce.

[YOUTUBE]f--fazi4Xvo[/YOUTUBE]

It's now widely accepted that Materazzi insulted Zidanes family, prior to the infamous headbutt.

On a weekly basis, we see players whom retaliate being the ones dished out with severe punishments, whilst initial aggressors get off scott-free.

Taking these examples on board, why should we be expectiing Evra to get a harsher sentence?

I think we all know that Suarez (he of the black grandfather) isn't a racist, but we've moved from Negrita/Negrito being used as some local colloquialism, to the actual word Negro.

They used a number of linguistic experts used in this case, all of whom dismissed Suarez's defence as not really appropriate use of the term, specifically of the term that Suarez admitted using.

I think a lot of fans jumped the gun here, myself included. I'm still confused by it all. There is no doubt that Suarez used racial language, which needs to be punished, and there is no doubt that he isn't racist.

Unfortunately as football fans, we're just not used to dealing with grey areas, and this case is very much a shade of grey.

8 games is a ridiculous punishment, but that's what happens when we make ourselves out to be the leading light across the world, when it comes to fighting racism.

Yeah agree with that.

At the end of the day hes done it to be clever as if to say, if my sister is not off limits neither is the colour of you skin.

Hes left himself open to it in the hope it would wind evra up but evra has been a bit cleverer still.

Both of them know the score.

Id have probably reacted in a similar way if I was in Luis shoes. Its no excuse though, Im not being paid as a top sportsman and in his position he needs to react better to Evra and every other wind up Stephen Merchant.

I have little faith in the ability of our legal teams ability to argue themselves out of a wet paper bag, Id rather use my own hand than wipe my arse on the last case they prepared, maybe we should make a few statements and move on.

Its a touch embarrassing to see some of the one eyed deluded reactions from some of our fans, we sound like a bunch of hysterical, nuerotic women, its not fucking hillsborough, its not JF fucking K either. Weve been stitch up by a bunch of more ignorant people reacting out of wanting to be seen to have taken this as a pointy stick to poke Sepp Blatter with.

Little Englander FA. However weve left ourself open to it or rather Luis has by one small decision. He wont be doing it again, partly bcos it was a one off reaction that went wrong, partly bcos hes not actually racist.

Hes just said it to wind evra back up. So we make some strong statements up about how many black freinds we all have and we disagree with the FA and that we dont feel we have any prospect of a fair hearing etc but we move on.

We dont really need loads of cases going on causing a distraction, that only plays into Evras hands further. Im wincing about the 8 game ban, lets get Ozil on loan.

Reply to Redexile

Paragraph 377.

The second exchange alleged by Mr Evra was that he said "say it to me again, I'm going to

punch you", to which Mr Suarez replied "I don't speak to blacks". Mr Evra told his four

team-mates and the referee straight after the match that Mr Suarez had said this. Their

evidence was accepted in full by Mr Suarez

I don't see what the problem is. Accept you've done something wrong, apologise, don't do it again and move on.

Their 'evidence' is merely repeating what Evra told them after the game, in the dressing room. None of them heard any of the exchanges between Suarez and Evra on the pitch.

How can their 'evidence' be disputed when it's a conversation that Suarez wasn't present for. He had already disputed Evra's version.

Both of them know the score.

Weve been stitch up by a bunch of more ignorant people

Hes just said it to wind evra back up.

While I don't agree with everything you have posted on this subject (tbh some of it seems self aggrandizing) this stuff here is spot on and the whole play is becoming more and more plausible - he got done by a better con, we've been done by better mouthpieces.

Guest ShoePiss
Why bring that up you clueless cunt! why don't you mention the constant "39 italians can't be wrong" flags as well, or the constant "murderers" chants by the bitters, yes the flag was out of order but make sure you mention the behaviour and flags of the vile cunts it was aimed at!!

Because he's a troll.

I'm very proud of the way we reacted, every bit of it, bit I expect us to keep going, even if it costs millions and takes years.

That conviction and statement yesterday is the biggest farce I've ever witnessed in sport, and it's disgusting how Suarez was stitched up by the FA and the media, I hope they never get a major tournament to host as they don't deserve the honour the shower of xenophobic cunts.

And Maddock and that fat prick Evans the man who tried to help a conman get our club 15 months ago can go fuck themselves for there portrayal of our club

Agree with everything TP has said here. It's been a stitch up from the word go and I hope we don't just accept their findings, I hope we fight the ban and then take the matter further as there is no way that the FA will over turn the ban or even consider overturning it. They have backed themselves into a corner and they can stick their 115 page document up their filthy dirty arses for all I care.

You can add Holt to that list jornos that have reported their one sided views on this subject. The only person to come out and report both sides for me has been Henry Winter of the Telegraph. He still believes that Suarez is guilty but at least his views have been balanced rather than that horrible "Racist" back page headline in the Mirror which Holt would have approved.

Reply to Redexile

Paragraph 377.

The second exchange alleged by Mr Evra was that he said "say it to me again, I'm going to

punch you", to which Mr Suarez replied "I don't speak to blacks". Mr Evra told his four

team-mates and the referee straight after the match that Mr Suarez had said this. Their

evidence was accepted in full by Mr Suarez

I don't see what the problem is. Accept you've done something wrong, apologise, don't do it again and move on.

You're obviously a troll, so I'm not taking this seriously. However, I don't understand why so many of our own fans are taking the Manchester United players' "evidence" as , well, evidence. Evidence of what? That Evra told them something? He may well have done. Was it true? No evidence of that. Four of his teammates saying he told them the same thing (after the event) doesn't make it true.

The whole "judgement" is full of the same flimflam and smoke and mirrors. I don't expect journalists who are all primed with the same agenda to examine the judgement critically (or even read it, which most don't seem to have done), but I had hoped for a slightly more discerning approach from our fans.

I agreed with the Club backing Suarez before, and I would still back them if they appealed (assuming they really considered it a viable option, and hired new legal and PR people in the interim).

As for the rest, it's been a perfect storm of getting it wrong. Suarez's defence team (from my own uneducated eyes) fucked up massively. The Club's response (both the tone of the statement and the T-shirts) were ill-considered and isolated us. People might say 'so fucking what', but winning the PR battle is, rightly or wrongly, all-important. The often ridiculed FA seem to realise that in making an example of Suarez in the first place - and who's mocking them now apart from us? And the shite sent to Collymore was fucking risible. No matter what his opinions are, he's entitled to them. To send him racist abuse is not only wrong in principle but also counter-productive.

Oh, and that cunt above, he's an Everton fan. He just hasn't got the gonads to admit it. Don't bother with him.

Personally I think that far too many people are concentrating on the clubs part in this and as a result seemingly glossing over what is a complete miscarriage of justice.

Could the club have handled it better (based on the report, which is about as objective as a bitter), probably yes but that totally ignores the real issue here.

Personally I think that far too many people are concentrating on the clubs part in this and as a result seemingly glossing over what is a complete miscarriage of justice.

Could the club have handled it better (based on the report, which is about as objective as a bitter), probably yes but that totally ignores the real issue here.

There does appear to be an increasing bandwagon of people who are using this as a means to grind axes with some of those within the club that they clearly have issues with...

There may have been injustice Ian, but we don't know that to be the case. The club has been unprofessional and shoddy to date. I believe there are two courses of action to limit reputational damage, and we should pursue them both.

1. The clubs legal representatives should take the FA to task on a point by point basis and point out where they believe the evidence or judgement is flawed. This is unlikely to make any material difference to the judgement, but would clarify the club's position and may rein in the press opprobrium a little.

2. Suarez should take legal counsel and look to sue some elements of the press for libel and defamation.

Do not underestimate the impact this will be having across the Atlantic. Someone will have to be seen to pay for this. Whether that is Ayre, Dalglish, Commoli or Suarez, time will tell.

There may have been injustice Ian, but we don't know that to be the case. The club has been unprofessional and shoddy to date. I believe there are two courses of action to limit reputational damage, and we should pursue them both.

1. The clubs legal representatives should take the FA to task on a point by point basis and point out where they believe the evidence or judgement is flawed. This is unlikely to make any material difference to the judgement, but would clarify the club's position and may rein in the press opprobrium a little.

2. Suarez should take legal counsel and look to sue some elements of the press for libel and defamation.

Do not underestimate the impact this will be having across the Atlantic. Someone will have to be seen to pay for this. Whether that is Ayre, Dalglish, Commoli or Suarez, time will tell.

If we do appeal, it will need a new lead lawyer to do it.No point in banging your head against a brick wall. It would also have the advantage of distancing the case from the shambles that we originally presented.

This historic quote from JW about racism at Boston Red Sox is telling - Ayre should read it:

John Henry, now the principal owner of the Red Sox, says the team has to demonstrate that its attitude on race has changed. "I think we have to make a statement not just in baseball but in our community that diversity is an issue that hasn't been fully addressed in the past and certainly has to be fully addressed," he says. "I think it's important what your actions are. That will really define the franchise going forward."

NPR : The Boston Red Sox and Racism