You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Moving to Australia

Thomo123

I think you can get a working holiday visa for shite jobs but it only lasts a year I think and you can't get one when you're over 30, far as I know. To get a proper job i.e something you could live off with a family you need to have some skills they want, teaching, electrical etc and you need an employer in tow already I think, don't think you can just go over there and bum around looking for work. The ausies are quite conservative when it comes to these things.

You can get any job you like with a working holiday visa these days I think. However the visa only lasts a year so then you would need a company to sponsor you after that. If you got a decent job with a good company they'd probably be able to do that fairly easily.

If you want to get a skilled migrant visa then you have to fulfill the points criteria which includes stuff for jobs/qualifications they're after/age/money in the bank. It's easier to sleep with an Aussie I found.

Having a similar dilemma here. The wife and kids ain't going anywhere but there's a six figure salary on offer for a mining job in Pilbara and I've got some serious debts need clearing pronto.

It seems to be that Pilbara is like Mars and Perth is pricey, is that a fair assessment?

Having a similar dilemma here. The wife and kids ain't going anywhere but there's a six figure salary on offer for a mining job in Pilbara and I've got some serious debts need clearing pronto.

It seems to be that Pilbara is like Mars and Perth is pricey, is that a fair assessment?

Yeah the Pilbara is in the middle of nowhere, I've never been there but imagine it is dusty. About 1000 miles from Perth I think. Perth is pretty pricy, but then you'll have a six figure salary.

So long as you don't spend it all on booze you'll be able to put a tidy bit away I'd have thought.

Alright there Thomo, nice one on the job offer. Whereabouts in Queensland is it? Queensland is Chimp country so I'm sure he'll be able to offer a bit more advice about that.

Australia is expensive, but 85 grand is a decent wedge. Mind you with the missus preggers and presumably not working for a year or so you'll probably need it!

Things that will be tricky will be selling your house (if you've got one) and buying in Australia - the exchange rate and cost of housing here will kill you at the moment. If you're just renting it'll be no bother, rents aren't too bad.

Things I miss or found hard when moving away were family, friends and football (playing and watching at a decent hour).

Cos the missus is an Aussie and I lived in London we already had a bit of social circle of people to hang out and go drinking with. But it took a while before I developed some of my own mates through work, playing footy, other various means.

We've also got a little boy who's nearly two. My in-laws live in Adelaide (500 miles away) so they aren't really about to help either. It has been a bit tricky at times, particularly when you could just do with someone to look after him for a couple of hours, or paying for a babysitter everytime we want to go out (not very often). Still it's been fine really. Another bonus of having the sprog will be that you meet a load of people through mothers group (organised by the local council) or childcare, some of whom are bound to be in the same boat.

I can't see myself ever moving back really. I'm down with the pace of life, outdoor stuff, better food, happier atmos. Mind you I live in Melbourne which is officially the best city in the world to live, it can be like semi-retirement up in Queensland!

Cheers for the info mate. Its working for the Black Group, its at a Toyota dealership. They have sites in various places in Queensland, Toowoomba, Dalby, Chinchilla plus a couple in the north of NSW. It didnt specify on the contract so im not sure which one. Its a question i was going to ask the recruiment firm. I figured it would be pretty tight with only one wage but she is an exec PA so could earn good money herself once the nipper was big enough to go to nursery etc. Its happened really fast as i only applied in Sept when they were over here conducting interviews. We are expecting in April and tbh i dont even know visa timescales etc....i was told i could be there in a couple of month, that sound about right?

I was checking out house prices but ill def be renting for the forseeable future, if i went that is.

Melons, i know 6 months sounds a bit extreme but she is adamant about having the nipper over here and having the support of our families for the first few months, plus its both our parents first grandchild.I dont blame her for it, but im just shitting it that i wont get another opportunity like it.

You can get any job you like with a working holiday visa these days I think. However the visa only lasts a year so then you would need a company to sponsor you after that. If you got a decent job with a good company they'd probably be able to do that fairly easily.

If you want to get a skilled migrant visa then you have to fulfill the points criteria which includes stuff for jobs/qualifications they're after/age/money in the bank. It's easier to sleep with an Aussie I found.

My mate went over ona working visa 20 months ago, is currently working on a ship off the coast of Cairns but lives in Brisbane. Im sure his Visa runs out soon, im not sure what his options are but he loves it over there (plus the fact he is on 40 bucks an hour)

My mate went over ona working visa 20 months ago, is currently working on a ship off the coast of Cairns but lives in Brisbane. Im sure his Visa runs out soon, im not sure what his options are but he loves it over there (plus the fact he is on 40 bucks an hour)

Yeah I had a mate who was over here for a year, then went and worked as a chef in a mine basically cos they would sponsor him to stay (also the stupid wages).

Cheers for the info mate. Its working for the Black Group, its at a Toyota dealership. They have sites in various places in Queensland, Toowoomba, Dalby, Chinchilla plus a couple in the north of NSW. It didnt specify on the contract so im not sure which one. Its a question i was going to ask the recruiment firm. I figured it would be pretty tight with only one wage but she is an exec PA so could earn good money herself once the nipper was big enough to go to nursery etc. Its happened really fast as i only applied in Sept when they were over here conducting interviews. We are expecting in April and tbh i dont even know visa timescales etc....i was told i could be there in a couple of month, that sound about right?

I was checking out house prices but ill def be renting for the forseeable future, if i went that is.

Melons, i know 6 months sounds a bit extreme but she is adamant about having the nipper over here and having the support of our families for the first few months, plus its both our parents first grandchild.I dont blame her for it, but im just shitting it that i wont get another opportunity like it.

Ooof Queensland country towns!

On the plus side accommodation will be really cheap. On the down side, there will be bugger all going on. I'd be looking at that as an opportunity to get visa'd up, but then perhaps move closer to the coast, brizzy or gold coast or Byron bay if you like that south Queensland/north NSW vibe.

Fantastic place, Aussie. Spent over 7 yrs in Sydney, and some time in Brisbane. Great people, great food, great working conditions, soccer, rugby union, rugby league. Fantastic beaches, warm water, most of the yr. Still got the most solid banks in the world, so a stable monetry system certainly in the short to medium term. Yeah, and OZ ROCK...can't beat it.

Stupid question, but is Austrailia liberal/conservative, high/low tax country?

Well the conservative party here is called the Liberal party, so those US battle lines probably don't really apply.

Historically Australia as you might know has taken some terribly right wing approaches, to the Aborigines, the White Australia policy, etc. and there's still a vestige of that amongst older people particularly. Probably came out of the history of being a colony and also a prison. On the other hand there is a strong Union movement which still plays a big role in politics and workplace relations, particularly in manufacturing/mining and public service.

Still in general because of the huge mix of different immigrant people here, British & Irish, Italians, Greeks, Turks, Lebanese, ex-Yugo's, Vietnamese, Chinese, and the nice sunny weather, it's pretty much a positive easy going place. Quite a lot of Catholics though because of those Irish and Southern Europeans so you get a fair bit of social conservatism. Nothing to compare with the US though.

Corporate tax is 30% and individual income tax is about 30% for most people with a full time job (it'll be a bit more if you earn over $200,000). I also have to pay council rates of about $1500 a year.

Currently living here on a year-long visa. Obviously my experiences are a little different as I am just here working/partying but I can definitely give you some advise...

Queensland in general is lovely, but a lot of the small towns are full of small-time twunts who are often racist bigots. I was doing fruit picking in various towns and got punched once for being "a pommy cunt" and my mate got mugged and beaten in another town for...guess what...being a "pommy cunt". Both incidences wouldn't have bothered me if we were being drunken idiots but both times we were actually sober and just minding our own business (when my mate got mugged and beaten we even made it onto the local news channel! pretty awesome)

Anyway, you will love it out here. The wages are great, but the cost of living is expensive - a pint costs about $9 on average, for example. Brisbane is a nice city but kinda boring. Aussies in general are very nice but, again, you do get a lot of Aussies who dislike Brits just because it's fashionable to. This doesn't happen too much in the cities though so its not too bad. Saying all that I have met some great people out here so don't let my previous experiences put you off.

I'm currently living in Melbourne and it's a really good city - very cosmopolitan and multicultural. Working as a sales/customer service advisor and am on a fair wedge and I'm only here on a year long holiday visa!

In my opinion you should definitely do it, Britain at the moment is a pretty grim place to be so what is there to lose? If you don't like it then you can always come back.

Queensland in general is lovely, but a lot of the small towns are full of small-time twunts who are often racist bigots. I was doing fruit picking in various towns and got punched once for being "a pommy cunt" and my mate got mugged and beaten in another town for...guess what...being a "pommy cunt". Both incidences wouldn't have bothered me if we were being drunken idiots but both times we were actually sober and just minding our own business (when my mate got mugged and beaten we even made it onto the local news channel! pretty awesome)

Mad that. I find it amusing we have a rep as moaners or whingers with Australians, yet I genuinely can't imagine an Australian tourist or worker getting attacked for being Australian.

56893.gif

Donk.

Depends where in the pilbara you are going? Is it karratha, port hedland. It's really expensive to live up there, most f the companies will fly in fly out. Perth is a nice place though

Mad that. I find it amusing we have a rep as moaners or whingers with Australians, yet I genuinely can't imagine an Australian tourist or worker getting attacked for being Australian.

56893.gif

Donk.

Well I wouldn't imagine that would happen here either, but there are cunts everywhere I suppose and I would guess country Queensland has more than it's fair share. That probably goes for most isolated country areas but we're still talking a very small minority, once again like everywhere. We're talking small minded country hicks here, they don't have anything to be happy about so beating up someone different is probably the highlight of their year.

I can safely say though that I don't know one person who would beat someone up for being a pom, I wouldn't be too worried about it. There are a fuck load of "poms" here and I don't see many with black eyes.

There is one little manc fuck at work I wouldn't mind beating up and talking his bird though, SHE BELONGS WITH ME HE'S NOT RIGHT FOR HER AND SHES FUCKING PERFECT FOR ME! but that's neither here nor there and it's not because he's a pom so you'll be right. Just stay near a city, the country is hot and boring anyway for anything longer than a few days.

Ooof Queensland country towns!

On the plus side accommodation will be really cheap. On the down side, there will be bugger all going on. I'd be looking at that as an opportunity to get visa'd up, but then perhaps move closer to the coast, brizzy or gold coast or Byron bay if you like that south Queensland/north NSW vibe.

Thats another issue,they havent told me were I would be based but the closest dealer they have to a big city in Toowoomba which if im right is about eighty miles from Brisbane. The core business of the company are farmers and mining companies so they are expanding pretty rapidly at the moment.

I'm in Melbourne at the moment studying and the idea of coming home for good in January is fucking killing me.

Jump at the chance to come here mate, you won't regret it. Only thing I'd say is the cost of living is pretty expensive, but if you speak to some people at the bank they'll be able to help you out with things like savings accounts etc with amazing interest rates. I'm with NAB and I've got a savings account offering me 7.8%

The only thing that I found hard to get my head round is having to make a whole new group of mates but like one of the other lads said that soon goes when you start playing footy etc.

All you need for the games is Fox Sport, they show every single premier league game (via the red button.) I haven't missed a single Liverpool game.

People's attitudes here are spot on as well, so laid back and down to earth, (although they don't get sarcasm too well.)

Any more advice you need let me know

I'm in Melbourne at the moment studying and the idea of coming home for good in January is fucking killing me.

Jump at the chance to come here mate, you won't regret it. Only thing I'd say is the cost of living is pretty expensive, but if you speak to some people at the bank they'll be able to help you out with things like savings accounts etc with amazing interest rates. I'm with NAB and I've got a savings account offering me 7.8%

The only thing that I found hard to get my head round is having to make a whole new group of mates but like one of the other lads said that soon goes when you start playing footy etc.

All you need for the games is Fox Sport, they show every single premier league game (via the red button.) I haven't missed a single Liverpool game.

People's attitudes here are spot on as well, so laid back and down to earth, (although they don't get sarcasm too well.)

Any more advice you need let me know

Appreciated that mate, the recruitment firm help you deal with getting a house, opening a bank account etc etc when you go over there. As i said above the fact the locations are shall we say 'more rural' is a bit off putting. Obviously if it was Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne it would be alot more enticing.

Thats another issue,they havent told me were I would be based but the closest dealer they have to a big city in Toowoomba which if im right is about eighty miles from Brisbane. The core business of the company are farmers and mining companies so they are expanding pretty rapidly at the moment.
I was born in Toowoomba. I haven't been back for a long while but you could do a lot worse as far as Qld country towns go. I rember it vaguely as a pleasant place with a mild climate and pretty right wing politically if that matters at all to you.

85 grand a year is a pretty good earn if you're going to be living there...real estate and rents are pretty high in Brisbane but 85K is an above average salary (av, income here is 68K and mean income is about 55K IIRC).

I was actually born at Toowoomba General Hospital but forunately I am unable to remember the event. Just as well too...the sight of my mother's gaping minge may have scarred me for life.

• Upvote 1

I was born in Toowoomba. I haven't been back for a long while but you could do a lot worse as far as Qld country towns go. I rember it vaguely as a pleasant place with a mild climate and pretty right wing politically if that matters at all to you.

85 grand a year is a pretty good earn if you're going to be living there...real estate and rents are pretty high in Brisbane but 85K is an above average salary (av, income here is 68K and mean income is about 55K IIRC).

I was actually born at Toowoomba General Hospital but forunately I am unable to remember the event. Just as well too...the sight of my mother's gaping minge may have scarred me for life.

Its not that bad actually!