You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newsgroups

theghost

First of all your need a news reader which is where you will download everything in, I use alt.binz

alt.binz | Usenet progy

That will be used to download the files.

Then you need a place to get the files (NZBs), I recommend Merlins Portal for a free option (requires registration).

NZB Merlins Portal

Or for the one I use it's £7 for I think a 10 year membership or free if you only download NZB's from the last 20 days.

NZBMatrix: NZB Index

You will also need a server to download off, usually you pay this monthly, the one I use is simply

Simply Usenet - The UK's Premium Usenet Provider

My max download speed is 20mb so I get the 24mb option for £9 a month, there should be a US option if that doesn't work, such as

Usenet Newsgroups Service, News Servers, Usenet Access - Giganews (14 day free trial)

Last thing you will need is winrar if you don't already have it, you use this to extract the files once downloaded.

WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

Now, when you have opened up Alt.Binz in the setting option (think it pops up when you first install), create a new server using the address and port given to you by giganews/simply once you have signed up

When you have found the file you want, for example on merlins portal you find the file you want and click the "Thanks" button at the bottom right of the posters post, then refresh the thread and a download link will appear.

After that open up AltBinz and click the NZB option (has a green arrow pointing down) and it will open up a box to locate the file you saved to the desktop. After opening it click the "Connect" button in the top left and your download should start.

Once the download is done click the folder looking button called "download" and open it up in winrar, now extract the file, do this by right clicking the file name and then click "Extract to specified folder". You can save this to the desktop.

Hope this helps you mate.

• 9 months later...
What are they?

Its another way of downloading stuff, but unlike torrents/limewire etc, it's not peer-to-peer. You don't depend on other people for speed. I max out my 36Mbps connection for every file. Which makes grabbing huge 6gb plus files etc a piece of piss. Only problem is they're trickier in general than torrents etc, and you usually have to pay for a decent provider. Ive got an unlimited play for £5 a month, and my files are encrypted so BT souldn't be able to tell what i'm downloading. Here is a quick guide:

Noob's guide to usenet

I hope its ok to post a link to another forum?

Clear as mud!

Are they all paid or are any free and do you need to keep letting others download from you like torrents?

Apologies for the poor explanation, I'm only getting my head around them myself. No you never upload, so you don't need to seed. There are free providers I think, some isps have a free service, but I think paid services are better/faster and have a higher retention level (let you download older files etc).

Apologies for the poor explanation' date=' I'm only getting my head around them myself. No you never upload, so you don't need to seed. There are free providers I think, some isps have a free service, but I think paid services are better/faster and have a higher retention level (let you download older files etc).[/quote']

I was being a bit facetious to be honest so no offence intended.

It just seems a lot more complicated than bit torrents to achieve the same end result. Of course the encryption part sounds a great idea but until its streamlined a bit more it will remain a niche market IMO.

I was being a bit facetious to be honest so no offence intended.

It just seems a lot more complicated than bit torrents to achieve the same end result. Of course the encryption part sounds a great idea but until its streamlined a bit more it will remain a niche market IMO.

The niche market is the reason it's safe. For now. Isps have started throttling torrent traffic, and there is a huge amount of pressure on them to limit them, and in some cases, punish the individuals using them to download copyrighted material. I download a 10gb full hd movie the other day in about half an hour. A standard 700mb movie in approximately 2 minutes. Always full speed, never have to seed, never rely on seekers

The niche market is the reason it's safe. For now. Isps have started throttling torrent traffic, and there is a huge amount of pressure on them to limit them, and in some cases, punish the individuals using them to download copyrighted material. I download a 10gb full hd movie the other day in about half an hour. A standard 700mb movie in approximately 2 minutes. Always full speed, never have to seed, never rely on seekers

Can you recommend any free ones?

Yea they're still alive and well. As for free news servers I used one years ago and can't remember what it was. But you can buy 'blocks' of download allowance at newsdemon. A 10gb block is 1.24 so you can sample if you like them or not. Other than that I wouldn't know what to recommend other than googling top 10 free news servers or similar.