You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

A bit of good news. Mums to have an MRI to confirm but has had other tests and it looks like it's all clear. I can't remember the official term but its a 'bleed' that's showing up. Probably not exactly brilliant but not the big C-word.

Just goes to show, it's not worth worrying over until you know the facts. Even then, worry wouldn't fix it anyway. If/when anything like this falls upon me, I'll be heading to stevebaby for inspiration.

It's all very well to say you shouldn't worry but it's only human to worry about those we care about.

Fingers crossed that it all turns out ok for your mum

• Upvote 1

A bit of good news. Mums to have an MRI to confirm but has had other tests and it looks like it's all clear. I can't remember the official term but its a 'bleed' that's showing up. Probably not exactly brilliant but not the big C-word.

Just goes to show, it's not worth worrying over until you know the facts. Even then, worry wouldn't fix it anyway. If/when anything like this falls upon me, I'll be heading to stevebaby for inspiration.

So Mum calls me on Friday morning and asks can I take her to the hospital as they've called her in to get her MRI results. As the other tests had confirmed, the spots in her liver were just 'bleeds' or clots of blood vessels. Harmless. Unfortunately they found spots in her spine, which require further investigation, but he's 'confident' that they are cancer. He seemed quite positive but I'm not sure if that's just his demeanor. He said that it could be controlled with hormones and possible chemo of necessary. They're to hold a multi-disciplined meeting on Thursday to decide how to proceed then we meet with them next week.

Cancer can fuck the fuck off.

All the best mate.

Goes without saying I hope it's as simple and straight forward as possible.

Cheers. The doctors calmness and suggested potential treatments filled me with some hope after the initial blow. He didn't seem overly concerned but maybe he wasn't committing to any stance until this big meeting of the different disciplines. Mum's surprisingly positive.

One thing I did read though, is that secondary cancer survival rates are dire. And thinking back to his phrasing, he was saying things like this can be "managed" through treatment x, y and z for a "significant amount of time". Just have to wait it out.

Cheers. The doctors calmness and suggested potential treatments filled me with some hope after the initial blow. He didn't seem overly concerned but maybe he wasn't committing to any stance until this big meeting of the different disciplines. Mum's surprisingly positive.

One thing I did read though, is that secondary cancer survival rates are dire. And thinking back to his phrasing, he was saying things like this can be "managed" through treatment x, y and z for a "significant amount of time". Just have to wait it out.

Chin up brother, easy for us to say but as you said yourself earlier there's no point getting ahead of yourself. My mate's mum has got some kind of bone cancer, she's had it for ten years and will always have it apparently but it's managed with medication, it's chronic but not fatal.

Also, and I can't stress this enough,try and steer clear of reading anything online. It's almost universally negative and as non doctors we're not trained to interpret all the facts and other factors. I say this as someone who, quite literally, worried himself sick.

• Upvote 2

Chin up brother, easy for us to say but as you said yourself earlier there's no point getting ahead of yourself. My mate's mum has got some kind of bone cancer, she's had it for ten years and will always have it apparently but it's managed with medication, it's chronic but not fatal.

Also, and I can't stress this enough,try and steer clear of reading anything online. It's almost universally negative and as non doctors we're not trained to interpret all the facts and other factors. I say this as someone who, quite literally, worried himself sick.

Yea I had a sore throat last week and googled it only to discover I had 4.5 seconds to live, so I'm avoiding that route. I had only googled it in mums case because she had the words on a letter, and I didn't know what they meant.

I work in a cancer hospital, and even though my work is data analysis I'm not immune to what actually happens in this hospital.

Every day I take a walk down the corridor, there are people who's presence means they have cancer. It's grim. It's an absolutely horrific disease. Having kids myself, when I see young kiddies with their bald heads, it just totally screws up my insides...

Hateful disease.

When I was in the hospital I saw a young kid, bald head, tubes everywhere, smiling and laughing away. I could barely hold it. One of the worst things imaginable.

When I was in the hospital I saw a young kid, bald head, tubes everywhere, smiling and laughing away. I could barely hold it. One of the worst things imaginable.

When Carly was on radio we had the same time slot everyday, there was a young lad who was about 13/14 and was bald, we used to chat to each other each morning and he used to take the piss out of the nurses and have a laugh.

He used to tell us when he finished his treatment he was going out on the piss as no bouncers would ID him.

We came in one morning for Carly's radio and he wasn't there. I asked the nurse where he was and her face said it it all.

• 2 weeks later...

My mate's dad's funeral was today. Poor fucker.

Without being a kiss ass our work have been really good. Literally 'take your time, come back when you're ready'

That's good to hear. Look after him. And your post reminds me that I was going to text my friend whose mum died at the end of last month, just a few weeks after first being diagnosed.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

When you can get time inside for posting bollocks on faceaids and then some cunt of a judge deems a suspended sentence 'justice'...

I'd kill her if I saw it.

A twisted woman who used the identities of people she befriended online to get CANCER treatment she did not need walked free from court.

Cassandra Grant, 35, claimed to be suffering from incurable cancers to check into hospitals across the country to receive more than £11,500 worth of life-saving treatment.

On one occasion she befriended a terminal cancer sufferer on Facebook, telling her she had the same illness, before stealing her identity, changing her appointments and turning up at an oncology ward begging for treatment.

Even after being arrested and bailed Grant applied for a locum pharmacist's job after posing as a friend and spent a day dispensing prescriptions to the public.

Grant admitted three charges of fraud and one of fraud by false representation between February 2013 and August 2013.

She also asked for four other offences to be taken into consideration at Bristol Crown Court.

She was given a 12-month prison sentence suspended for two years after a judge heard she had a series of "complex" mental conditions for which she was receiving treatment.

They included Munchausen's Syndrome, which is defined as "a compulsive need to seek unnecessary medical treatment".

Judge Michael Harington said: "These are serious offences and it is quite clear they have had a serious impact on those who have been adversely affected by your behaviour."

The court heard that in April 2013 Grant used Facebook to contact a woman called Carly Groombridge who had terminal bowel cancer.

Grant told her she was receiving the same treatment and the pair became good friends and often confided their fears in each other.

But Grant rang up Bristol Royal Infirmary (BRI) pretending to be her new friend to change an appointment for a PET scan she was due to have.

She then used the information she had gained to admit herself to Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton, Somerset on April 30 where she was given £4,853 worth of treatment.

Mark Worsley, prosecuting, said: "She claimed to have a Bristol based diagnosis of advanced rectal cancer, local advanced pelvic disfunction and fits.

"She received a slew of treatment and complained of having various symptoms associated with rectal cancer.

"She received a series of tests and various medicines over the next few days as an inpatient. She was taken seriously and treated as as cancer sufferer.

"She faked various symptoms and faked them well. She had a fit in front of medical staff on one day and vomited continuously."

Staff became suspicious however when they received a phone call from the BRI on May 8 who told them another Carly Groombridge had turned up for her PET scan.

After ringing Carly's GP staff discovered Grant had also used the same identity to admit herself to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.

There she obtained £1,079 worth of treatment after claiming to have diabetes, a possible lung embolism and acute kidney injuries.

In a victim impact statement Carly said she felt "emotionally raped" when she found out what had happened.

In a letter written to the court she said: "I felt cheated and angry that she came into my life when I thought it was impossible to feel any worse of fate couldn't be any crueler.

"She has caused more pain and heartache than I ever thought."

Grant was arrested on May 9 where she told officers her real name and also admitted taking medicine and treatment from the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in February totalling £58.

But, while on bail, Grant, from Stoke Bishop, Bristol, then used friend Clare Arrowsmith's identity to obtain a job as a locum pharmacist at Jhoots Pharmacy in Filton, Bristol.

When the regular pharmacist returned he noticed Grant, who had only worked for one day, had made a number of mistakes on the paperwork, and medication was missing.

Grant was later re-arrested.

Grant also asked for four other offences to be taken into consideration where she used the identity of another Facebook friend, cystic fibrosis sufferer Louise Lett, to claim £5,500 worth of treatment on the Isle of Wight.

Kate Brunner, defending, said her client suffered from Munchausen's Syndrome and added: "In this case it has been manifested by repeated hospital admissions over sometime in her own name and some using others."

Judge Harington said: "Obviously you have caused a lot of grief as a result of your behaviour but I accept that it was in large part behaviour caused because of your medical, mental and physiological problems.

"I understand you are receiving treatment for that, and it is essential for you to continue to receive that treatment so you can put it all in your past and nothing else will ever happen like this again."

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Fake-cancer-patient-Cassandra-Grant-Bristol/story-21200214-detail/story.html#ixzz33wIadUIb

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Fake-cancer-patient-Cassandra-Grant-Bristol/story-21200214-detail/story.html#U1lExGm9OTmuZR2g.99

Cunt's at it again, this time under the name Louise Barry.

• 2 weeks later...

All offers greatly received...

This cunt of a disease again.

A colleague/friend was diagnosed with a brain tumour a few weeks ago. I am absolutely sickened (the third person I know with a brain tumour at the moment) and things are not looking good. He and his wife are keeping us updated by email and in his most recent contact he requested limericks. He's off to Ireland for a few days. This may or may not be the explanation.

Anyways, I'm shit at these things and I just wondered if any of you talented lot might be able to come up with a few lines, 5, in fact, that I could send back to him???

A bit of biography that might be useful...

He's married with 2 kids, is from the Scottish Borders, loves cricket, even umpiring a match last weekend, supports some Scottish football team, has quite a surreal sense of humour and is more humble than I could ever hope to be, asking for the collection we had organised for him to be sent to Calais.

• 2 weeks later...

girl at works mum has had a full hysterectomy, plus chemo and radiotherapy.

She has been told she still has cancer today. She has now told her husband she wants a divorce and is moving to Wales.

poor girl is cut up, she isn't sure of her mum's prognosis and now her parents are divorcing.

I think maybe her mum is trying to protect her from seeing her ill.But of course she is all over the place.

All offers greatly received...

This cunt of a disease again.

A colleague/friend was diagnosed with a brain tumour a few weeks ago. I am absolutely sickened (the third person I know with a brain tumour at the moment) and things are not looking good. He and his wife are keeping us updated by email and in his most recent contact he requested limericks. He's off to Ireland for a few days. This may or may not be the explanation.

Anyways, I'm shit at these things and I just wondered if any of you talented lot might be able to come up with a few lines, 5, in fact, that I could send back to him???

A bit of biography that might be useful...

He's married with 2 kids, is from the Scottish Borders, loves cricket, even umpiring a match last weekend, supports some Scottish football team, has quite a surreal sense of humour and is more humble than I could ever hope to be, asking for the collection we had organised for him to be sent to Calais.

You should've started a new thread, Champ.

Has he been yet? If not, we'll need his first name, the town he's from in The Borders (I hope it's not fucking Galashiels) & the Football team he likes.

You should've started a new thread, Champ.

Has he been yet? If not, we'll need his first name, the town he's from in The Borders (I hope it's not fucking Galashiels) & the Football team he likes.

I didnt like to, really. 

Anyway, what is it with you and Galashiels? I don't think it is there as that's where one of my dearest friends is from! 

I didnt like to, really.

Anyway, what is it with you and Galashiels? I don't think it is there as that's where one of my dearest friends is from!

I'm from Hawick, the rivalry with them cunts is the Borders equivalent to Liverpool's with Manchester.

Plus it's a fucking shithole and they only got indoor toilets fitted in the last couple of months.

I'm from Hawick, the rivalry with them cunts is the Borders equivalent to Liverpool's with Manchester.

Plus it's a fucking shithole and they only got indoor toilets fitted in the last couple of months.

Denholm. A 'gellow boderer' my Gala friend tells me