You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

From Chelsea website "The Shed" - interesting read

WalkOnWalkOn

It's not well written at all it's a complete load of shit basically. Apart from the religious aspect as football is more of a religion than in Surrey or South West London. But to Label Liverpool the only place it happens is bollocks as clubs are also treated as religion in the North East with Sunderland Newcastle, not to mention Glasgow.

Yes. I think this article is borne of the writer's inability to understand how people can love their football clubs with such fervour, and the cities you mention are just as 'obsessive' as Liverpool (I would throw Manchester in there as well).

Whilst a poorly conceived essay - identity and identification has more to do with our love for Liverpool/Everton/Ranger/Celtic/Newcastle/whoever than some spurious religious analogies - I don't think the piece comes from a place of bitterness, just ignorance. For example, how many Scousers, Geordies or Mancs 'choose' their teams? Yet, despite (or perhaps because of) the sheer number of London clubs, you're as likely to meet a Cockney Man United fan as you are a West Ham one. Using the writer's logic, does this make most southerners 'atheist'? It's nonsense.

Personally, I think the differences between north/south attitudes to football are cultural, historically and inextricably class-based. Religion has nothing to do with it, and is a weak, lazy comparison.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“I felt the power of Anfield, it was magnificent” Jose Mourinho

Dreadfull chant,what a load of crap.

[YOUTUBE]11MQnQ8QjJs[/YOUTUBE]

Football is completely different in the south,I was unlucky enough to be born done here,one half scouse the other Irish.Down here football generaly means fuck all,the vast majority have no clue of there clubs history or traditions. They are media lead in all things be it sport or polotics.

Id used to give some of the old Highbury arsenal fans credit as they did understand the game most now only see things with wenger tinted glasses on.The Ingerland histiria gets on my nerves aswell.

Football is a religion.

Oh yeah and making a messiah of Shanks,of course they would know f`all about things like that.26 managers since the mid 60`s,we have had that many in 119 years.

The average Liverpool manager gets 6.7 years in the job compared to the chavskis 3.6

This is a club thing not a north or south thing! Of course football means something in the South!

And in essence there you have , distilled down, the difference between what makes a person a Chelsea fan and what makes a person a Liverpool fan. Because we all know that you cannot have a present, or a future, without having a sense of the past. Chelsea, appropriately enough, is run like a Stalinist regime that has tried to completely erase the history of their club before 2003.

(It's also pseudo-intellectual vacuity. I'd also love to know, intellectually, how memory ISN'T actually a form and expression of a sense of history!)

Exactly what I was going to say but put better. Plastic fans that will be forgotten about soon enough.

This guy is obviously a failed but educated person with too much time to think!!! The analogies in general could be applied to football in general. All club following is cult like - it's the nature!!!!! For YNWA group behaviour insert waving plastic flags at prescribed times for fucks sake!!! What a waste of space. He probably has a doctorate!

If Robbie is God does that make Kenny our Pope!?????

Off topic but just refering to the utube video of YNWA, I know Mourinho has his knockers, but you have to hand it to him there.

He was the only non plastic at Chelsea, he understand what its about, he went to every Liverpool player and shook thier hands and then applauded the crowd, not the Chelsea supporters but the Liverpool ones, still wonder if the only reason he would not manage us, is he is secretly one of us!

If Kenny does not get the job full time (which imo he should, and probably will), then if Mourinho was offered it would we accept him?

The guy is a total idiot, I'm surprised some people on this forum have even said he's a clueless intelligent guy. I think he's just a moron let loose with Wikipedia. No mention of the fact that Torres's transfer request went in three days before the window closed?

And I love the mention of the video of Chelsea fans and the one who stopped watching after the Sunderland game. That was their second loss! If only I had thought like a Chelsea fan I could have stopped watching Roy's desecration of football in August....

It was quite obviously written by somebody with intelligence. However, intelligent people are perefectly capable of being clueless knobheads

After actually bothering to read that post all the way through, and then doing the same to the entire thread, your reply is actually the correct one to reply to it with.

Can someone with rep rights rep him please :)

Its a shame, as its a good read, sadly however, it spanks of anti LFC from a chav perspective, so has no weight.

It's only interesting in so far as it reveals the depths of that Chelsea fan's inferiority complex, and the lengths he'll go to to disguise it.

And if Liverpool fans are Catholics, then Chelsea fans are Scientologists - small in number, no traditions, no credibility, and full of closet gayers.

The fundamental difference between us and catholics is that our god actually exists.

The point about Chelsea being hated by the media might by eye-opening to some. It is the same madness you hear from Liverpool fans, or Man U fans, or Arsenal fans.

Yeah, that's about the only thing to take from this syntactic vomit. Every clubs fans believe their club isn't given a fair deal in the media or there's some sort of conspiracy against them.

It could be me, but why is it, that it always seems to be the clubs with no actual history, that piss and moan about us harping on about ours?

History? the OED dictates history as " history

a systematic, written account of events, particularly of those affecting a nation, institution, science, or art, and usually connected with a philosophical explanation of their causes; a true story, as distinguished from a romance; -- distinguished also from annals, which relate simply the facts and events of each year, in strict chronological order; from biography, which is the record of an individual's life; and from memoir, which is history composed from personal experience, observation, and memory.

Happily for Liverpool FC, we or most of us can remember what we achieved in recent history, and also have the ability to recount the full spectrum of what we as a club have achieved over the many years of fruitfulness that we as a club have also achieved.

Chavski however, are sort of in the position of not really having a clue what this means.

Be it anything other than "since Roman took over" how many chavs know their own history prior to him coming in?

What was the last league title the chavs won prior to the russian revolution at the bridge? 1954-55? how many of the chavtards who piss and moan actually remember that event first hand?

We as a club have a history that is unrivalled, domestically and in any other theatre of competition in British football, albeit coming close to losing one, yes one, title to the scum as yet its still ours.

The chavs dont have a clue what history is or indeed means, so let them post this sort of shite, I for one am glad that they envy us this much.

Come the day mr rubles gets bored and goes back to mother Russia, then the chavs can fuck off back down the table to where they had been for near on fifty years.

Southern chav cunts the lot of em.