You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Secret Santa CD was awesome.

Artwork by a true master of the medium, most of the music I had never heard before and the big bag of Eclairs a subtle hint on how best to listen to the good stuff.

The Magnum Opus was titled: You Know It Makes Sense Vol 1 and featured an unopened can of Heinz Beanz on the cover with a fresh pizza on the inner sleeve.

Munchie music for the masses.

Spliffed or sane, the music was some of the best I’ve heard in a long time.

TLW Secret Santa 2010 – You Know It Makes Sense....Vol 1

1 Babel On – The Soundtrack To Our Lives

Tremendous track and a superb opening to the CD. Had no idea which was the band and which the song.

2 The First Song – Band Of Horses

Top class drumming & strumming. Loved it.

3 She’s Long Gone – The Black Keys

Indie at it’s finest and well in keeping with the overall standard of the CD.

4 Mama Taught Me Better – Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Really enjoyed this track. Pleasure to listen to.

5 City With No Children – Arcade Fire

The first track by a band I had heard of.

Went to see them in Cardiff two days before the CD arrived. A brilliant live band and this track is one of their best.

6 Straight Lines – Charlotte Hatherley

The track I was least impressed with.

7 Stelify – Ian Brown

Not heard anything by Ian Brown since the Roses packed in.

This track reminds me to correct that.

8 That Suicide Girl – The Brian Jonestown Massacre

My favourite track on the CD by a band I never heard of.

So impressed I treated myself to two of their CD’s: Smoking Acid and Bringing It All back Home Again. Money well spent.

9 Squares – The Beta Band

Bizzare sound. Made me smile.

10 Let Her Dance – Bobby Fuller Four

Pleasant easy listening but not quite as powerful as most of the tracks.

11 Glad All Over – The Dave Clark Five

Drumming and leaping about stiff as it was meant to be.

Larfing my head off when I heard it first.

12 Sunday Morning – The Velvet Underground

Not a big fan of this band, but this track not bad.

13 Proof – I Am Kloot

Unusual track which gets better the more I hear it.

14 Pearly Dewdrops Drop – Cocteau Twins

Huge fan of this band and the only song which I already had on my I-Pod.

A modern classic which reminded me of Ian Banks quip in the Crow Road: You know you are stoned when you start analysing the Cocteau Twins lyrics!

15 Feel Flows – The Beach Boys

Never heard this song before or realised how inventive they were.

16 The Toll - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Second track from this band. Not familiar with them but fully intend to buy a CD. Excellent listening.

17 Come Together – Primal Scream

Was expecting a cover version of the Beatles

classic. What a pleasant surprise.

Overall a great CD and genuine thanks to the sender for widening my music horizons.

No idea who sent it, not even a clue on the envelope.

Whoever it was, I get the impression it’s from a kindred spirit with a wicked sense of humour.

Happy new year to you sir, the CD was much appreciated.

So impressed I treated myself to two of their CD’s: Smoking Acid and Bringing It All back Home Again. Money well spent.

Plewggs you have to watch the documentary on them called 'Dig!', it's a brilliant film about them trying to make it big and their relationship with The Dandy Warhols. They are absolute lunatics especially the lead singer Anton Newcombe. Actually anyone with an interest in Indie music should watch this.

[YOUTUBE]84oiQJ1N9To[/YOUTUBE]

My Secret Santa CD was awesome.

Artwork by a true master of the medium, most of the music I had never heard before and the big bag of Eclairs a subtle hint on how best to listen to the good stuff.

The Magnum Opus was titled: You Know It Makes Sense Vol 1 and featured an unopened can of Heinz Beanz on the cover with a fresh pizza on the inner sleeve.

Munchie music for the masses.

Spliffed or sane, the music was some of the best I’ve heard in a long time.

TLW Secret Santa 2010 – You Know It Makes Sense....Vol 1

1 Babel On – The Soundtrack To Our Lives

Tremendous track and a superb opening to the CD. Had no idea which was the band and which the song.

2 The First Song – Band Of Horses

Top class drumming & strumming. Loved it.

3 She’s Long Gone – The Black Keys

Indie at it’s finest and well in keeping with the overall standard of the CD.

4 Mama Taught Me Better – Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Really enjoyed this track. Pleasure to listen to.

5 City With No Children – Arcade Fire

The first track by a band I had heard of.

Went to see them in Cardiff two days before the CD arrived. A brilliant live band and this track is one of their best.

6 Straight Lines – Charlotte Hatherley

The track I was least impressed with.

7 Stelify – Ian Brown

Not heard anything by Ian Brown since the Roses packed in.

This track reminds me to correct that.

9 Squares – The Beta Band

Bizzare sound. Made me smile.

10 Let Her Dance – Bobby Fuller Four

Pleasant easy listening but not quite as powerful as most of the tracks.

11 Glad All Over – The Dave Clark Five

Drumming and leaping about stiff as it was meant to be.

Larfing my head off when I heard it first.

12 Sunday Morning – The Velvet Underground

Not a big fan of this band, but this track not bad.

13 Proof – I Am Kloot

Unusual track which gets better the more I hear it.

14 Pearly Dewdrops Drop – Cocteau Twins

Huge fan of this band and the only song which I already had on my I-Pod.

A modern classic which reminded me of Ian Banks quip in the Crow Road: You know you are stoned when you start analysing the Cocteau Twins lyrics!

15 Feel Flows – The Beach Boys

Never heard this song before or realised how inventive they were.

16 The Toll - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Second track from this band. Not familiar with them but fully intend to buy a CD. Excellent listening.

17 Come Together – Primal Scream

Was expecting a cover version of the Beatles

classic. What a pleasant surprise.

Overall a great CD and genuine thanks to the sender for widening my music horizons.

No idea who sent it, not even a clue on the envelope.

Whoever it was, I get the impression it’s from a kindred spirit with a wicked sense of humour.

Happy new year to you sir, the CD was much appreciated.

No one will guess your sender so I'll save you the delay.

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the review, even better you've been turned onto brianjonestown and you've purchased a couple albums. Made up.

I'll echo loadsoftrophies and suggest you check out DIG! it's a brilliant film and the reason I got into the band myself. Not another band like them, plus Anton really is as mental as the film suggests.

(ps it's a picture of a fryup with Beans, not a pizza though!)

I'll send some rep your way when I'm next at a computer.

Stu, you're keeping Simon company on the 2010 fuckup list.

Whoah there! (That's English for "stop a horse").

I didn't fuck up here, I tried to contact the organiser who was a big full-inboxed megaspaz, then contacted the former organiser to whip a quick message across (who instead gave a whole rundown on the full inbox scenario, completely unbeknowns to me).

It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong.

I am not a big man.

CD 1 - Songs What are Not Cover Versions.

This CD was mainly heavy metal which I do not particulary like, but to be fair most of the tunes were very catchy. Heres the Tracklisting:

1. 99 Victs - Black Tips. Not very fond of this song, very heavy on the ears.

2. Pick Me Up - Dinosaur Jr. This song is much better, very good tune, I like it.

3. Hoover Dam – Sugar. I thought this tune was very catchy, a decent beat to it,

4. Lucy Brown – Black Mountain. Now this song I really liked. I would defanitly look into getting more music from this artist.

5. Everything Flows – Teenage Fan Club. This song had the touch of Oasis about it. I dont know why, it just did. So, therefore i liked it a lot.

6. Satic Cling – The Fluid – Decent tune, not my favourite but it was alright.

7. Margin Walker – Fugazi. A bit too heavy metal for my liking, I disliked this song.

8. Knuckles The Dog – Killdozer. Same as above, a bit too heavy.

9. Nothing At All – The Shins. Quality tune, probably my favourite song on Disc 1. I’m going to look into getting more music from this band.

10. We Were Sick – The Thermals. Very good song also, a very good band by the sound of it.

11. Harmaat Linnut – Circle. Not too shabby this song. It reminds me of some of the songs hammy gave me on a bonus CD I got off him last year.

12. Box Elder – Pavement. Very upbeat, very American though.

13. Where Its At (Live In Amsterdam) – Beck. One of my favourites on the CD. It reminded me of something out of GTA San Andreas.

14. Dairy Queen – Dwarves – I didnt mind this song, not the worst on the CD by anymeans

15. Loretta – lazy Cowgirls. I love this type of song, really fast beat to it. Short and simple.

16. Hunted Down (Live) – Soundgarden. Very heavy metal, I didnt like this one.

17. Last Man Alive – The Grifters. This is up there with #9. Top. Top tune and I’ll look into getting more of their music.

18. San Francisco B.C – Silver Jews. Catchy tune. It goes on for ages though.

19. Listen Up – SuperSuckers. It reminded me of the tune in the Inbetweeners, (When scenes are changing, only the start of the song did mind), not bad.

20. Got a feelin’ – Comets on Fire. I didnt really like this song, probably the worst on the album

21. Tokyo Gold Murder City Devils – Not a bad choice to end the CD.

I’ll do My review of CD 2 tomorrow aswell as post pictures of the artwork.

On the whole, its a very good CD with a few bad tracks but its always going to happen. But, it gets better with every listen.

Whoah there! (That's English for "stop a horse").

I didn't fuck up here, I tried to contact the organiser who was a big full-inboxed megaspaz, then contacted the former organiser to whip a quick message across (who instead gave a whole rundown on the full inbox scenario, completely unbeknowns to me).

It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong.

I am not a big man.

Understatement of the year that, Stu.

Okay here is the review of the first disc named Hopping About Stuff. The artwork was minimalistic with a less is more approach.

Here it is:

1. Prison-System Of A Down

Never paid much attention to SOAD. Did appreciate Aerials a few years ago. Killer start to a cd that set the tone straight away. Good choice.

2. Empty Walls- Serj Tankian

A new aquaintance for me. Another one I like.

3. Puzzlin Evidence-Talking Heads

Never been a fan. And although this is not a bad song, I find it a bit boring.

4.Phychoscial-Slipknot

This is where it gets interesting. These are also a band I`ve never paid much attention too. And it surprised me that I like this much more than i thought I would. Usually I prefer the singer to sing, but I dig the riffs and structure of this song. Nice one.

5. Mannish Boy- Muddy Waters

A blues classic that everyone knows. A big sidestep from the rest, but a nice breather.

6. Little Red Riding Hood-Milo Z

A little more on the funky side. Sadly not really my kind of tune.

7. Given Up-Linkin Park

Never really taken to Linkin Park. Not bad, but whenever I hear them play I think it`s the same song.

8. Love Like Blood-Killing Joke

A new band and a new song too me. It has a real 80`s sound to it, and the fact that I try to forget most of the music and fashion from the 80`s im surprised that I find myself tapping to the beat to this. Good.

9. Sex Machine-James Brown

James Brown, what can I say? Get up...Get on up!

10. Smokestack Lightning- Howling Wolf

Never heard this before. I was really into blues in my late teens. This is a nice trip back. You cant go very wrong with Muddy and Howlin Wolf.

11. Let It Die-Foo Fighters

And you certainly cant go very wrong with a bit of Foo. This is one way to do a song. Very good!

12. Soul Surfing- Fat Boy Slim

Skip. Sorry... This is just annoying.

13. Scream Aim Fire-Bullet For My Valentine

Back on track. Another band I havent heard before. I like this one. Good to be back.

14. Whole Lotta Rosie-AC/DC

Never been a huge fan of AC/DC. I like them in small doses, or when dead drunk on parties. After a few songs the voice of the singer starts to irritate me. But they do have a few belters though.

15. Hi Heels Sneakers- Tommy Tucker

Another blues, and another hit. Like this one as well.

16. Dontcha- Pussycat Dolls Feat. Busta Rhymes

This is another one I really should`nt like, but find myself tapping my feet too. A little Busta freshens things up.

17. The Game- Southside

This is also a little outside what I usually listen too. Although not something im likely to buy, it brings something else to this compilation. It works well.

18. Johnny B. Goode- Chuck Berry

One of Rock N Roll`s main men and a fitting finale too a very fine SS cd. Thanks alot to the one putting this together.

Havent got a clue who the producer of this fine compilation is, but If I was to take a wild guess I would say Fink.

There was a second CD as well, named Smoothies. Havent had the time to hear it yet, but a track list and review will follow.

Ho Ho Ho

Apols for not revealing myself earlier, unsure if it was the done thing.

Nice review Pal, some you like – some you don’t, as it should be.

That said, trashing AC/AC was a hard read. How could you?

It’s little short of musical heresy in my view.

Can’t wait to see what sort of music you sent your victim, has he reviewed it yet?

Meanwhile, relieved to hear you got the CDs in time.

Sorry about the artwork, that’s not my sort of thing.

Typing and burning is the most I can manage on a PC.

Thanks for taking the time to review my effort.

As for thinking I was Fink...poor devil, he’ll probably sue you for that!

Rep in the ether.

Keep smiling.

Plewggs you have to watch the documentary on them called 'Dig!', it's a brilliant film about them trying to make it big and their relationship with The Dandy Warhols. They are absolute lunatics especially the lead singer Anton Newcombe. Actually anyone with an interest in Indie music should watch this.

[YOUTUBE]84oiQJ1N9To[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for that, I’ll definitely look it up – much appreciated.

I surfed for info on the band and came across a bizarre interview with Anton Newcombe.

He’s seems completely bonkers in the finest tradition of ya typical rock star.

Not that it matters, he makes wonderful music which is what really counts.

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the review, even better you've been turned onto brianjonestown and you've purchased a couple albums. Made up.

I'll echo loadsoftrophies and suggest you check out DIG! it's a brilliant film and the reason I got into the band myself. Not another band like them, plus Anton really is as mental as the film suggests.

Nice one Pal.

The CD was ace, and the éclairs the mark of a class act.

We must meet up at Anfield one day, I owe you a pint for each.

Can anyone offer any help to identify my Santa, please? A week gone since it was reviewed and only a couple of apparently unsuccessful guesses.

1 Black Water 3:53 Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - - Cool and laid back to start off this year’s Secret Santa. The deep voice made me think of The National

2 Come To Me 3:58 Tricky - - After a dodgy home taped version of Girl from Ipanema, this started properly after 30 seconds into a nice toe-tapping rhythm with breathy husky spoken lyrics

3 Ain't No Sunshine 2:27 Horace Andy - - Reggae version that brings something different to a classic song

4 Something In The Way 5:07 Jazzyfatnastees - - Female vocalists of the modern ’rnb’ genre is not what I’d choose to listen to, but it was pleasant enough

5 I Learned The Hard Way 3:49 Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - - This is much more like it, for me. Truly reminiscent of some great Motown Soul

6 The Mic 3:04 MF Doom - - Hmmmmmmm... I don’t really want to be skipping... and I didn’t. I just turned off the volume for the duration!

7 I Got a Right Ta 4:57 Common - - This was afforded the same fate as the previous track. Next!

8 Speak Ya Clout 3:37 Gang Starr - - Oh Dear. If others can skip, so can I. My nightmare Secret Santa would be a full CD of the same stuff as these last 3 tracks. That said, to give them a fair and full hearing, I did listen to all three fully at least once, only skipping them on the further listens for review purposes.

9 Can't Stop Now 4:05 Major Lazer - - Ahh, back on track, this has me movin’ and groovin’ again.

10 Baby (Architeq dub) 4:18 The Phenomenal Handclap Band - - Very long intro before somewhat minimalist vocals over a deep bassy synth groove. It goes ‘dizzy’ after 3 minutes

11 Somebody's Watching Me 3:50 Rockwell - - I honestly can’t remember the last time I heard this. Another 80s kickback to go with the artwork.

12 Free Yourself 7:00 Virgo - - Got tired of the repetitive beat after just one of the seven minutes. With a bit of synth added in, this just didn’t have anything going on to hold the interest.

13 Blue Monday 7:32 New Order - - Well, it says something, for the CD or me, that 20+ years later, this is the standout track so far. A true classic. The Back to the 80s again. At this rate, I may just get in the DeLorean with Marty

14 Vapour Trail 4:20 Ride - - Nice tempo and guitar work carries this through to a wistful violin ending

15 It's Wonderful 5:22 Durutti Column - - Spaced out. Nice beat and sounds, but the sparse vocals did nothing for me. Went on a bit, too.

16 Fearless 6:11 Pink Floyd - - Pink Floyd sounding at times like an acoustic Led Zep. Can I have some more? Thank you. Walk on, Walk on, with hope in your heart, and you’ll never walk alone

17 Moments in Love 2:12 Art Of Noise - - A 2 minute mantra. it didn’t really do anything for me.

18 Rootsman Time 3:17 I Roy - - A good steady Reggae rhythm to round off this Secret Santa

Overall, a bit of a rollercoaster with some gems and and some duffers. A good experience for this listener and perfectly representative of what Secret Santa is about, to me.

Thanks, Santa. Though I don't have a clue who you may be, so I'll have to leave that to others who are more in tune with your tastes.

Gutted I didn't get to this before you because I deffo knew that was yours. The Blues and drumming clues were massive

Can anyone offer any help to identify my Santa' date=' please? A week gone since it was reviewed and only a couple of apparently unsuccessful guesses.

[b']1 Black Water 3:53 Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros[/b] - - Cool and laid back to start off this year’s Secret Santa. The deep voice made me think of The National

2 Come To Me 3:58 Tricky - - After a dodgy home taped version of Girl from Ipanema, this started properly after 30 seconds into a nice toe-tapping rhythm with breathy husky spoken lyrics

3 Ain't No Sunshine 2:27 Horace Andy - - Reggae version that brings something different to a classic song

4 Something In The Way 5:07 Jazzyfatnastees - - Female vocalists of the modern ’rnb’ genre is not what I’d choose to listen to, but it was pleasant enough

5 I Learned The Hard Way 3:49 Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - - This is much more like it, for me. Truly reminiscent of some great Motown Soul

6 The Mic 3:04 MF Doom - - Hmmmmmmm... I don’t really want to be skipping... and I didn’t. I just turned off the volume for the duration!

7 I Got a Right Ta 4:57 Common - - This was afforded the same fate as the previous track. Next!

8 Speak Ya Clout 3:37 Gang Starr - - Oh Dear. If others can skip, so can I. My nightmare Secret Santa would be a full CD of the same stuff as these last 3 tracks. That said, to give them a fair and full hearing, I did listen to all three fully at least once, only skipping them on the further listens for review purposes.

9 Can't Stop Now 4:05 Major Lazer - - Ahh, back on track, this has me movin’ and groovin’ again.

10 Baby (Architeq dub) 4:18 The Phenomenal Handclap Band - - Very long intro before somewhat minimalist vocals over a deep bassy synth groove. It goes ‘dizzy’ after 3 minutes

11 Somebody's Watching Me 3:50 Rockwell - - I honestly can’t remember the last time I heard this. Another 80s kickback to go with the artwork.

12 Free Yourself 7:00 Virgo - - Got tired of the repetitive beat after just one of the seven minutes. With a bit of synth added in, this just didn’t have anything going on to hold the interest.

13 Blue Monday 7:32 New Order - - Well, it says something, for the CD or me, that 20+ years later, this is the standout track so far. A true classic. The Back to the 80s again. At this rate, I may just get in the DeLorean with Marty

14 Vapour Trail 4:20 Ride - - Nice tempo and guitar work carries this through to a wistful violin ending

15 It's Wonderful 5:22 Durutti Column - - Spaced out. Nice beat and sounds, but the sparse vocals did nothing for me. Went on a bit, too.

16 Fearless 6:11 Pink Floyd - - Pink Floyd sounding at times like an acoustic Led Zep. Can I have some more? Thank you. Walk on, Walk on, with hope in your heart, and you’ll never walk alone

17 Moments in Love 2:12 Art Of Noise - - A 2 minute mantra. it didn’t really do anything for me.

18 Rootsman Time 3:17 I Roy - - A good steady Reggae rhythm to round off this Secret Santa

Overall, a bit of a rollercoaster with some gems and and some duffers. A good experience for this listener and perfectly representative of what Secret Santa is about, to me.

Thanks, Santa. Though I don't have a clue who you may be, so I'll have to leave that to others who are more in tune with your tastes.

The Ghost?

Its gotta be TK. Killdozer and Fugazi are the hint. Supersuckers is the giveaway. I have 3 killdozer LPs I won in '89 and have never played. Should I play them?

That'll bring em out . . .

Agreed. That track list is screaming out "TK thingy thingy".

Gutted I didn't get to this before you because I deffo knew that was yours. The Blues and drumming clues were massive

The Ghost?

No he's BANNED after not reviewing and losing my disc last year.

Not sure he made one either.

*shakes fist*

EDIT: Haha you bluffin'

Guest TK-421

I had a good idea of the identity of my Secret Santa before I received the goods this year. I actually repped the post which hinted at it, which seems like ages ago. I wasn't 100% sure, but had a fair idea from the content of the post and, well, because it was my bloody turn. I wanted to sample some of this stuff to see what all the fuss was about.

When my package arrived it reinforced my opinion at first - this was someone who paid respect to the SS ethos, sending out the discs early to ensure maximum SS seasonal enjoyment. However, the handwriting made me think twice. What's that all about? Ok, I thought, maybe my SS is one of those really clever people with spazzy handwriting, like my mate Luke. I opened the package and my suspicions were all confirmed.

Disregarding the instructions to upload the files to iTunes I hastily put disc 1 of 3 in the PS3 and set the cross-fader to 10. Housed in pop-out translucent trays and with custom artwork on the disc itself (!!!) these mofos looked the part, but what did they sound like? I'll post the artwork later but in the meantime, if you're still with me, here's a review of Disc 1:-

1. Suite II Overture - Janelle Monae. This is an interesting string/piano arrangement, I think. It must be some sort of mood setter. Whatever it is it's enjoyable enough without raising the pulse too much.

2. Eternal Sunshine (The Pledge) - Jay Electronica. I always put the artist first and then the track name second but a lot of you guys do it the other way. Zany. Anyway, this second track is an absolute masterpiece. I must have listened to it at least ten times now, and at 9 minutes 9 seconds long that's some listening. It flies by quickly though as spectacularly clever lyrics are laced with live sample interludes and set against a basic but hypnotic piano groove. I might even look into Jay's work further as this is excellent.

3. Auditorium - Mos Def feat. Slick Rick. Very mid-tempo hip-hop fare which is fine by me. It's no track 2 Jay Electronica monster special but not every track can be a nine minute classic. I can dig this.

4. Dance of Pseudo Nymph - Flying Lotus. Ouch! What's that damn noise? It's Dance of Pseudo Nymph by Flying Lotus, that's what. This is an instrumental. For me an instrumental has to be very impressive musically/technically or have a certain charm. This has neither and is rather offensive. It's like the loading music for a Metal Gear Solid game. If I was Thants I would skip it, but I'm not so I didn't.

5. Average Fruit - Quadron. I didn't like this very much first but it's grown on me with a few more listens. It's quite a catchy soul number, brought to life with silky female vocals and strings.

6. White Girl - Meshell Ndegeocello. Good ol' Meshell, I was hoping I'd get some of her this year. As you can tell I'm not very familiar with much of this stuff. This is another one I can get along with. The vocals sound like Sade. That's about the extent of my knowledge here.

7. Dollar - Steve Spacek. More soul. With a twist of funk. One of my favourite tracks on disc 1. What does it sound like? Hmm, like Curtis Mayfield on a good day. Did Curtis have many bad days? I wouldn't know. If you like Superfly era Curtis you'll like this.

8. Dreaming of Your Love. Again on first listen I was all like "pass the sick bucket". I didn't think this song was going anywhere but it's another grower. This track is fairly repetetive lyrically and musically but I guess that's the point.

9. So Special - Sa-Ra Creative Partners feat. Rozzi Daime. This isn't my cup of tea. It's the type of song my mate Mikey would love. We'd walk into some random bar and he'd be all "this is the most amazing tune ever", and I'd say "don't be silly, Mikey". There's a fine line between the seductive soul found in track 8 above and outright cheese and this one just crosses the line for me. There's too much going on - backing singing everywhere, etc. Strip it down a bit and there may be a tune.

10. Take Me Back - Aloe Blacc. This is more like it. Sleazy, funky verses and a catchy, souly chorus. Love the sound of those old hi-hats. Nice one, Aloe.

11. Bed Stuy - Spec Boogie. More mid-tempo hip-hop here with a slightly obnoxious but not fatal sample running throughout. No old hi-hats, just phat beats yo.

12. I want You - Cee-Lo Green. Another funk/soul effort. Male lead with female backing. I bet the chicks love this one, there's a clearly a regard for the fairer sex in this compilation. This is pulling music and it's pretty good.

13. As We Enter - Nad & Damien Marley. Love this one. Dirty, sleazy hip-hop but really catchy and bouncy with it. I would put this up alongside track 2 as the standout of disc 1. I double dare people to listen to this track and not want to shake the turkey out of their belly. Loving the "hay" chants on the off-beat. Hay!

14. House of Flying Daggers - Raekwon feat. The Wu-Tang Clan. Ah, the mighty Clan. I've heard of them. This sounds as intimidating as I always imagined the Clan to be. They're a clan, for starters, which is pretty scary. This is the music I would choose to kill to if I was a gang leader in LA. Heh, how's it feel mofo?

15. Blad - Letherette. The type of tune I would dance to in the backroom of a house/techno club and have no idea what it is, but really enjoy it. It's chill out music with the odd brass interlude to bring the listener back to safety after the gang wars of track 14, and it does the job well. A relaxed, soulful groove, Very nice.

16. Up With The People (Zero 7 Mix) - Lambchop. Holy shit, a guitar! This is a magnificent effort. I've vaguely heard of Lambchop but couldn't tell you what they sound like. I suspect they don't usually sound like this and that Zero 7, whoever that may be, has taken the liberty to add the lively female backing singing, etc. The result is a great track, another stand-out effort on disc 1.

17. Bad Actors - Flying Lotus. Lotus are back and this time they're...just as bland and uninspired as they were before. It's another instrumental effort and it's mercifully short. It doesn't do much. This compilation would definitely survive with less Lotus.

18. Airworks - J Dilla. We're about to go Dilla mad with three of his choons in fairly quick succession on the remainder of disc 1. I can't really find the appeal in this one. The main vocal sample is a little irritating which is a shame because there are plenty of other interesting things going on.

19. Brazilliant Thought - Dr Who Dat? A jazzy, playful little piece. I can't use the word "soulful" again so jazzy and playful it is. Meandering? Yeah, I'll go with meandering. It meanders well.

20. Stop! - J Dilla. Clever samples laced with beats. This is much more enjoyable than Airworks because it doesn't have that irritating sample throughout.

21. The World Is Ours - Tokimonsta. Seductive vocals juxtaposed (yep, I used that word) against lively hip-hop beats. Thumbs up.

22. Dilla Says Go - J Dilla. Dilla strikes again with more samples than you can shake a shitty cock at. This guy clearly loved cutting bits of other music up and making new music, to impressive effect. It's a brief but wonderful thing and leads us into...

23. Twice - Little Dragon. Haunting piano (it's always haunting, right?) background track and female lead vocals. A very relaxing finale to a great compilation.

And yes, I'm the heavy metal head responsible for roughing young Robbie up with Killdozer and Fugazi.

That's all from me and thank you very much to my SS. I'm off to put Nas & Damian Marley on repeat and grind around my bedroom like a mad thing, yo.