You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harry fucking Redknapp

Redder Lurtz

Great? No he wasn't. A draw against the Swiss, scraped a peno shoot out against Spain and went out on pens to Germany. Big deal.

When you're an England fan you take semi finals when you can get them.

Venables was a great coach, but a poor business man. He was from his earliest days as a coach one of the most progresive coaches in the Englsh game. With Malcolm Allison and Don Howe the first in a new breed of football thinkers.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss
When you're an England fan you take semi finals when you can get them.

Venables was a great coach, but a poor business man. He was from his earliest days as a coach one of the most progresive coaches in the Englsh game. With Malcolm Allison and Don Howe the first in a new breed of football thinkers.

Yeah and has 1 FA Cup in the top flight English game to show for it.

Great.

Guest ShoePiss
What does this mean?

I think he means international competitions rather than club because Venables got us to the semi final of Euro 96, the last time we hosted a competition.

Guest ShoePiss
Stop trying to compare their honours then?

He wasn't a great England manager, simple as that. Looking back at England managers as far back as I can remember he was quite good.

Oh and I wasn't comparing their honours so I don't know what you're talking about.

He wasn't a great England manager, simple as that. Looking back at England managers as far back as I can remember he was quite good.

Oh and I wasn't comparing their honours so I don't know what you're talking about.

As I said earlier, great, good, it's just semantics.

That 96 England squad was pretty impressive.

Yes, he had a great bunch of players to work with. Should arguably have won it being on home soil with all of those talented players, but came pretty close and lost to the winners so no shame in that. That and WC98 was the last time I felt any affinity to the England team. Saying that I didn't mind Capello and thought he was very harshly treated, but I think he probably wanted out of the circus in the end.

Guest ShoePiss
As I said earlier, great, good, it's just semantics.

Well there is a difference between the two so no it's not. Just like saying someone had a good game isn't the same as someone had a great game.

Venables had a really good team/squad the four strikers were Shearer, Sheringham with Fowler & Les Ferdinand on the bench.

An in form Gazza, McManaman, Seamann and Ince when they were good throw in an experienced Tony Adams and probably some of the kids coming through at the mancs.

Any England manager now would kill for some of those players.

Tell you what, a lot of people on here come across as hypocrites after what happened with Suarez. How can you moan about people judging Suarez as guilty before he was even 'tried' and then deem that someone who was actually found innocent in court, is actually guilty.

Hypocritical idiots.

Because that's what football fans do

Well there is a difference between the two so no it's not. Just like saying someone had a good game isn't the same as someone had a great game.

'Great' might mean something different to you, compared to me. People are strange creatures you know and actually use different words for the same thing.

Your equivalent of 'great' to me, might be 'fantastic'. Figures of speech and all that.

Guest ShoePiss
'Great' might mean something different to you, compared to me. People are strange creatures you know and actually use different words for the same thing.

Your equivalent of 'great' to me, might be 'fantastic'. Figures of speech and all that.

haha ok Venables was shite. But to me shite means not that bad, above average.

Woy would be the absolute worst and I'd never describe Venables as 'Woy'.

The problem for Redknapp will be that we don't have a Gareth Bale or Luca Modric.

He also won't get away with attacking for 90 mins, the pitches are bigger at international level and teams don't give the ball away because you get tired trying to win it back.

He'll play Parker and likely partner him with Gerrard, with Rooney playing behind a main striker, who I have no idea of which one he'll settle for. Maybe Crouch or Defoe.

Lennon out right, probably Downing left. Herein lies the problem, we aren't good enough, no amount of man management will hide that.

The problem for Redknapp will be that we don't have a Gareth Bale or Luca Modric.

He also won't get away with attacking for 90 mins, the pitches are bigger at international level and teams don't give the ball away because you get tired trying to win it back.

He'll play Parker and likely partner him with Gerrard, with Rooney playing behind a main striker, who I have no idea of which one he'll settle for. Maybe Crouch or Defoe.

Lennon out right, probably Downing left. Herein lies the problem, we aren't good enough, no amount of man management will hide that.

Some good points raised there

Looking at the group, perhaps getting out of the group is possible, but that's as far as we go.

Even then it's not a certainty of getting out, it'll be very tight. Will we score enough goals? It'll likely come down to goal difference with Sweden playing compact and trying to stay in games for as long as possible, whereas the Ukraine will be technical and strong and look to win the game, and France could score goals.