You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

Here you go Dicko.... I didn't realise we were going back 70 years to try and back Rafa now but I've tried to explain the 5 year theory and have said that MOST managers win it within 5 years unless they inherit 2nd division teams.

Busby - 7 years - Manchester United were runners-up in the league in 1947, 1948, 1949 and 1951, and won the FA Cup in 1948, before winning the league championship in 1952

Cullis - 6 years - Challenged for the league several times before winning it.

Shankly - 5 years - inherited a 2nd division tam.

Catterick - 2 years

Nicholson - 4 years

Revie - 8 years - Inherited a 2nd division team.

Mercer - 3 years

Mee - 5 years -

Clough (Derby) 7 years - Inherited a lowe division club.

Paisley - 2 years

Clough (Forest) - 3.5 years

Kendall - 4 years

Fagan - 1 year

Dalglish - 1 year

George Graham - 3 years

Wilkinson - 4 years

Ferguson - 7 years - An exception to the norm

Wenger - 2 years

Mourinho - 1 year

You prove my point - thanks Dicko.

No you prove mine and everyone else's, you compare Rafa to other league winning managers and place no interest on context whatsoever, so I completely prove you wrong and all of a sudden context comes into it.

Rafa isn't as good as Wenger because he hasn't won the league, well du'h, Wenger had a far superior squad.

Rafa isn't as good as Mourinho because he hasn't won the league in his first season well knock me sideways Mourinho inherited a champions league semi finalist knocking out Arsenal in the process and finishing second only 5 points behind a team that went unbeaten for 38 games, and in the process spent more than the rest of the top three combined.

Context in your case? Only when it fucking suits you.

This exchange is over.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am only interested in challenging for the league and I am happy so no problems from me on the current squad. However, in order to hail "greatness" on any team (as some are doing on the current one) it has to win something. Do you disagree? If so why?

I want a straight answer mate, not an answer with a question.

Yes, you are right. Although the word is quite flexible i.e. I had a great night out, doesn't mean you got your end away but you had a good night out all the same.

I.e. Xabi Alonso is a great midfielder. Despite not winning the league!

Has he gone yet?

I am only interested in challenging for the league and I am happy so no problems from me on the current squad. However, in order to hail "greatness" on any team (as some are doing on the current one) it has to win something. Do you disagree? If so why?

I want a straight answer mate, not an answer with a question.

Because questions mean you have another hoop to jump through and something else to remember so you don't contradict yourself...or flat out lie about...to try and prove a point.

This is the best squad we've had under Benitez and the one with the most chance of success, simple.

This is the best squad we've had under Benitez and the one with the most chance of success, simple.

I'd say it is the best team we have had for 20 years! In fact I would suggest (although hesitantly) it is better than the team that won the league in 1990!

But we have had "success" with other squads under Rafa though haven't we? You forgetting Istanbul and Cardiff?

Funny, can't remember you being overly complimentary to the players Houllier bought yet now they're better than the players Benitez have.

Would you class the squad that won 5 trophies in a season under Houllier the best we had then?

Would you class the squad that won 5 trophies in a season under Houllier the best we had then?

Not at all because they were all trophies that the major clubs had no interest in winning. We were swimming in small club territory at the time.

You suggested that the current squad has the most chance of success, but Rafa has had success alerady hasn't he? How do you measure succes?

Right, so now you're implying that Benitez would be more successful with a worse squad, as long as those players weren't bought by him?

No. I am suggesting that Rafa has had more success with players not bought by him than with his own. Its just a statement, a bit of trivia if you like.

Not at all because they were all trophies that the major clubs had no interest in winning. We were swimming in small club territory at the time.

You suggested that the current squad has the most chance of success, but Rafa has had success alerady hasn't he? How do you measure succes?

Arsenal had no interest in winning the FA cup? That's why they let Owen score those two late goals?

And it was certainly obvious to anyone at the Roma or Barca games that neither club really fancied the UEFA cup that season.

You clattering fucking imbecile.

Chance, CHANCE.

I'm judging it by the same criteria as you and your red cafe brethren, the League is the 'bread and butter'.

You should tell that to Arsenal. And Barca. Oh and Roma too. You do yourself no favours with these silly, silly statements, Rash.

First it was world football and 3 years:

Name me a manager in world football (except Ferguson) who took more than 3 years to win the league. (Those that inherited teams in their top divisions that is so Howard Wilkinson etc don't count as they inherited 2nd division teams and would need more than 3 years to do that miracle!)

3 years repeated:

Ferguson doesn't count because in the law of statistics he being one of only one or two is insignificant.

Its like saying; of a sample 1000 people 999 hate England, but we MUST count that one person. I'd say the insight from it was clear but there will always be pedants chatting shite and haggling over insignificance like you are doing now.

Anyway, come on name me someone other than Ferguson who took more than 3 years to win the league.

Now it's not "in world football" anymore, not even Europe. Big leagues doesn't include Germany and France either by the way (can't be bothered documenting that, but it's there trust me):

I am thinking of the big leagues and big clubs (like we are) not minor leagues mate who have managers there for years with no expectations. You are just being pedantic.

As for Irureta; he won it in 2000, his 2nd full season in charge - and what an achievment that was.

Now we're limiting ourselves in time. Not only that, it has becomed 5 years instead of 3:

Here you go Dicko.... I didn't realise we were going back 70 years to try and back Rafa now but I've tried to explain the 5 year theory and have said that MOST managers win it within 5 years unless they inherit 2nd division teams.

You prove my point - thanks Dicko.

This is where I could've said "I rest my case" in a court room, but I know it won't end here.

But we haven't won the league? Although I am happy we are challenging.

How do you define "success"?

Can't remember saying we had, I did imply this was the squad with the greatest chance of delivering that success but as usual your habit of stripping away what's been said and applying your own interpretation has kicked in.

First it was world football and 3 years:

3 years repeated:

Now it's not "in world football" anymore, not even Europe. Big leagues doesn't include Germany and France either by the way (can't be bothered documenting that, but it's there trust me):

Now we're limiting ourselves in time. Not only that, it has becomed 5 years instead of 3:

This is where I could've said "I rest my case" in a court room, but I know it won't end here.

Not bored yet? The 5 year thing was introduced by Code72 and people were referring to that so I did to.

Lets leave it to something recent and something easier defined... how about:

In the last 20 years... Name me a manager of La Liga, PL or Serie A team who has won the league for the first time after being in charge for more than 3 years. (except teams inherited in the 2nd division)...

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Not bored yet? The 5 year thing was introduced by Code72 and people were referring to that so I did to.

In the last 20 years... Name me a manager of La Liga, PL or Serie A team who has won the league for the first time after being in charge for more than 3 years. (except teams inherited in the 2nd division)...

Talk about designing a loaded question

No doubt you'll be proved wrong and move the goal posts again

Please for the love of God, drop it

Ancelotti.

... on a Thursday when it was raining?