You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

fear of flying

windass

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im not as goos as i used to be, im not particularly scared on them, but i just cant settle, i never sleep on the bastards, when i was akid, i was grand, i suppose you dont know the dangers when you`re little

for my return flight from thailand at christmas i popped a load of sleeping tablets, 6 i think altogether, i wasnt asleep, but it was better than being awake

i dont think that air crash investigation programme helps though, every little noise, or miniscule movement and im thinking about the 747 that crashed in Holland because of the torn rotator cuff, or some other shite i really shouldnt know

its piss easy for us to say take tablets and you`ll be grand, but im shit scared of spiders, and i have to say i wouldnt like to think if i was drugged, them hairy, horrible eight legged cunts where even close to me, so pushing the drugs onto someone that just simply doesnt want to fly would be wrong, imo anyway

If I lived on my knees i'd still be taller than you Stu.

Possibly true, but you'd have sore knees all the time. Think about it, they'd really hurt. This is what Zapata was really trying to say with that quote right there; he was saying: Don't live on your knees because it's impractical and it will hurt.

Do you really think those pissy little bolts holding your seat to the rail are going to hold? Trust me mate I'm an aircraft Engineer, the only reason you're told to adopt the postion is to ensure a quick death.

I believe it is so You can "kiss your arse goodbye"

Or something.

Me and the Missus went to Florida in April and we're going again the end of August. I really couldn't hack sitting there for 9 hours again so I'm going to have to see my GP. Booze dosn't work on me, infact it makes me worse.

I've been on a plane at least once (well, twice including the reurn flight) every year since i've been born and I hate flying. I don't reckon I'll ever get used to it EVER! Drugs are the way forward me thinks.

I don't see how other than the feeling of taking off and landing it feels different from a very long air-conditioned bus journey. I've no problems with it but its very boring even with movies and music. They say its safer than driving and the stats prove it but the spectacular scenes when something goes wrong on a plane ride probably play on many peoples minds.

One thing that got on my nerves, on the flight home, they said youre not allowed phones on flight mode. What the fuck is flight mode for then? Obviously as Im proper crazy I used my phone on flight mode and just kept it in my pocket, and to the untrained eye it looks like Im listening to some sort of mp3 player. Karma got me back as I left my headphones for my phone on the plane and had to endure coming to work with no music for the next few days until my new one is delievered.

And beef is my dogs on a cartoon then the bitch can start paying me rent.

What you'll find is that you're not actually afraid of flying. You're actually afraid of dying and for seom reason associate flying with dying.

Facts are that you are FAR more likely to die of a fall while putting on your trousers than you are from an accident in a modern jet. And yet you put your trousers on almost every day without even thinking!

I reckon it's far more complex than a fear of crashing and dying. I don't just have a phobia of flying, I have a phobia of planes full stop. Even if there's one on the telly at a standstill on the runway, my heart starts racing.

I know where my fear came from. When I was 5 my Mum took us down to Dover to stay with her best friend for a few days who lived there. Mum's mate's husband took me and our Al to Dover castle, and in the dungeons they had this mock up exhibition of how it would have been during the World War 2, when the dungeons were used by intelligence services. They had speakers playing this deafening roar of planes flying over and dropping bombs, and the whole place was shaking. I was absolutely petrified and remember crying for my Mum. Ever since then, as a kid I'd cry at war films where there were planes. Even now, I shit myself whenever a plane goes over which is about every five minutes given that I live directly over the Mersey from Speke airport.