You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Photoshop problem (long shot . . .)

Thants

Intel imac, photoshop 7 and CS1.

I have both, I 'borrowed' both years back. However, over the past couple of months one or either crashes on the third save. I'll googled hard on this and did everything they suggested here

Photoshop is suicidal when I try and save. Errrr.... | Ask Metafilter

anyone had similar problems? I've got a large project starting tomorrow morning and this crashing makes it twice as long a job (and I start throwing tings too).

Long shot.

Is it because I have 2 versions?

I've been editing today so no time for it but will report back as I've done this:

I had this problem. I had someone increase the memory devoted to PS. Sorry if it's no help, he did it so quickly I didn't see what he did, or even if that makes sense.

I've moved PS to 75% memory.

Is it something to do with the "Scratch Drive" in Photoshop? Try increasing that

I dunno what that is. Stupid Biscuit.

Sounds like it's not using enough memory Thantsy baby. Get on CS3, the photomerge function has been updated and is the shizzle.

Yes yes as I said I've done that.

I'll report abck at 10am.

Thants

News at 10

Brighton

x

thants,

Open photoshop and then

Photoshop > Preferences > Performance

And increase disk in there

Mmm, no option to increase it. I changed scratch disk 1 and 2 (out of 4) to the hard drive instead of the startupdisk(?) but there was no option to increase it.

Restarted and that didnt work. Crashes 3rd save every time (if not before), no matter how big or small the file is. I'm now saving every change and restarting Photoshop which is taking me fucking ages but at least it isnt as stressful.

Have you got an external hard drive you can save to, or a separate drive from the one where all the temporary work files are kept? I don't know how it is on the Macs, given the 'fact' they 'never' crash, but on PCs you wouldn't believe (well you would) the amount of shite left behind if Photoshop crashes. I'm just wondering (knowing nothing about Macs) if somehow it's conflicting with itself.

Even if you've got a big enough pen-drive or memory-card or something, could be worth seeing if it still happens when you save there instead of the local hard drive.

And have you had a look on one of the borrowing sites for a copy of a later version?

And, if the job is urgent, and you've not downloaded it before, is it worth downloading the 30-day trial of the latest version just to get this job out of the way?

In the PC world some naughty men (or women) have created cracks that turn off the 30-day limit on that trial, but not sure if there are similar naughty men (or women) in the Mac world.

I dont know where to start with your first idea. It's a thought though.

As for the 30 day trial I tried that 2 days ago the the cunt wouldnt even start due to some missing file. I had some sort of turn off key torrenting too at the time.

Will the pain ever end? I've finished his job now so it'll have to wait til the film editing is done before I attack my mac.

Which is what I should be doing now.