You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The official Inter match thread

RedinSweden

Just to get a debate going and not having a go but does anyone think Rafa should make substitutions quicker? I would have out Crouch on as soon as Matterazzi was sent off to add to the confusion of their defenders and sacrificed one of our holding players. It was only when Crouch came on that we really started to stretch them I think.

Yes he should have taken Babel off after the first half since he was shite, apart from that I think the substitutions went well last night, Alonso could have come on instead of Mascherano as well since Mascherano was not needed after Materazzi was sent of and Alonso`s creativity and inventive passing probably could have unlocked the Inter defense at an earlier stage.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first chance I've had to read this thread since last night and I'm finding it difficult to believe what I'm reading about the Babel on/Kuyt off situation. Clearly, to anybody actually paying attention to the game, Babel had faded, and had contributed nothing to the game for a good 15 minutes. I don't know what it is, but the lad does need to work on his stanima. Kuyt, on the other hand, had set up the two best chances of the game with a great midfield block on Viera, and a great cross to Sami. He had also continuolusly held the ball, linked with others, and brought others into play, allowing us to mount sustained pressure in Inter's half.

And as for a few snidey little comments about his goal being deflected - don't we always wish our players would take a chance like Lampard, who seems to bag a fair few this way.

Last night we saw a Kuyt who's confidence had returned, and who was playing like he did last season. I hope this, and his goal at the weekend, is a springboard for him to set him up for the rest of the season.

I totally agree my learned friend. I keep reading "I wouldn't have taken Babel off as he was a threat". A threat to what? He kept running straight into Maicon, or did his cut inside and try and work space for a shot move. I like the lad and want him to succeed but last night he posed no threat to Inter's excellent back four.

Hindsight is wonderful but if anything I'd have bought on Crouch, taken off Lucas on 30 minutes.. and then after 60 minutes taken off Kuyt and bought on Pennant. Id never have taken off Babel as he was a threat. Again that's why I am here chatting shit.

Sometimes though I do think we leave it a little too late.

I think Babel's influence had wained completely and he directness that he showed in the first half had gone, so i was pleased when Bable was withdrawn, however I wanted change sooner than it happened.

I would have brought Pennant on at half time, probably for Lucas, as i thought we needed 2 men in the centre up front as we necver had enough bodies i the box. As it worked out, having two up front and Pennant out wide did well for us, even if it wasnt in the manner i had wanted exactly.

I totally agree my learned friend. I keep reading "I wouldn't have taken Babel off as he was a threat". A threat to what? He kept running straight into Maicon, or did his cut inside and try and work space for a shot move. I like the lad and want him to succeed but last night he posed no threat to Inter's excellent back four.

dont agree entirely, but in the second half that assessment is totally spot on. In the first half, he was getting the better of the two men they were putting on him quite often, its just that his final ball, like most players, was poor or sometimes the wrong choice.

Yes he should have taken Babel off after the first half since he was shite, apart from that I think the substitutions went well last night, Alonso could have come on instead of Mascherano as well since Mascherano was not needed after Materazzi was sent of and Alonso`s creativity and inventive passing probably could have unlocked the Inter defense at an earlier stage.

Is that a joke?

This is the first chance I've had to read this thread since last night and I'm finding it difficult to believe what I'm reading about the Babel on/Kuyt off situation. Clearly, to anybody actually paying attention to the game, Babel had faded, and had contributed nothing to the game for a good 15 minutes. I don't know what it is, but the lad does need to work on his stanima. Kuyt, on the other hand, had set up the two best chances of the game with a great midfield block on Viera, and a great cross to Sami. He had also continuolusly held the ball, linked with others, and brought others into play, allowing us to mount sustained pressure in Inter's half.

And as for a few snidey little comments about his goal being deflected - don't we always wish our players would take a chance like Lampard, who seems to bag a fair few this way.

Last night we saw a Kuyt who's confidence had returned, and who was playing like he did last season. I hope this, and his goal at the weekend, is a springboard for him to set him up for the rest of the season.

Watched the replay of the game last night. Anyone watching the game on TV would have no way of seeing how effective Kuyt was with his running and moving into space off the ball. Best game I've seen from him by a country mile.

Watched the replay of the game last night. Anyone watching the game on TV would have no way of seeing how effective Kuyt was with his running and moving into space off the ball. Best game I've seen from him by a country mile.

but by and large doing nothing with it. He had a very energetic but ordinary game until the goal (and I'm made up he scored) - he gave the ball away on numerous occasions - and he really has to give up trying to hit crossfield balls... the opposition know exactly what he's going to do before he does, and always intercept them.

I'm not being horrible here, but a lot of people use very low standards to judge Kuyt's performances by, because they like him as a person, and his dad passing away etc... the cold facts are that when he's not contibuting with goals he's not up to much as a player.

That said, he's scored 2 in 2, and I don't think he should be dropped while he's scoring.

but by and large doing nothing with it. He had a very energetic but ordinary game until the goal (and I'm made up he scored) - he gave the ball away on numerous occasions - and he really has to give up trying to hit crossfield balls... the opposition know exactly what he's going to do before he does, and always intercept them.

I'm not being horrible here, but a lot of people use very low standards to judge Kuyt's performances by, because they like him as a person, and his dad passing away etc... the cold facts are that when he's not contibuting with goals he's not up to much as a player.

That said, he's scored 2 in 2, and I don't think he should be dropped while he's scoring.

Disagree about his performance last night. But your summary is just about right for the rest of his season.

I'm just giving credit where it's due. Let's see if he can build on his performance for the rest of the season.

ATK talking shit as usual. Cue some dig regarding how I've never been to Anfield, etc.

There was one 'ATK-alike' at the end of the game. The guy with that giant Benitez flag was a few rows in front of me and just behind me, this fella with a face like thunder, saw the flag and said "this isnt for him, he got fucking lucky tonight, the cunt".

Words failed me.

What a load of agenda driven bollocks.

what agenda might that be? Wanting the team to be the best it can? That's mine. What's yours? Play Kuyt no matter how bad he is and no matter what negative effect it has on the team's capability?

I've said he's in the team on merit at the moment, so he shouldn't be dropped. If you think he should have been in the team on merit all season, you're deluded.

what agenda might that be? Wanting the team to be the best it can? That's mine. What's yours? Play Kuyt no matter how bad he is and no matter what negative effect it has on the team's capability?

Of course not. I recognise when he stinks (Man Utd), when he's very good (Inter) and the in between when he's average. With you he always seems to be shit.

Of course not. I recognise when he stinks (Man Utd), when he's very good (Inter) and the in between when he's average. With you he always seems to be shit.

selective reading again. I've said he's in the team on merit at the moment, and no-one should want him dropped. If you refuse to acknowledge that's what I've said, then that's because it doesn't fit your agenda. But that's not my problem.

A briliant performance in light of the recent ones

The answer to our problems is a very simple one we need the Mckenna factor

We need Mckenna to hypnotise the players every game and get them thinking every game is a CL game but most importantly we need him to make Hicks & Gillett dissappear

selective reading again. I've said he's in the team on merit at the moment, and no-one should want him dropped. If you refuse to acknowledge that's what I've said, then that's because it doesn't fit your agenda. But that's not my problem.

Why would you want a player in the team who is "ordinary" and gave the ball away "numerous times"? You didn't want Kuyt to start the Inter game, judging by your sarcastic comments early in this thread, so if you think he was "ordinary" and gave the ball away too much I can't see what happened in those 90 minutes to make you change your mind (save for a deflected goal which most have put down to luck).

Top class players can rely on their technique and ability to bring them out of a bad patch. All Dirk can do is work harder and at times that has been to his detriment. Hopefully a couple of goals will give him a bit of confidence and his game might improve. I agree with Stringvest whilst he is scoring goals keep him in the team. Long term he needs shipping out as he is lacking too many of the fundamentals that the best teams in this league need.

Top class players can rely on their technique and ability to bring them out of a bad patch. All Dirk can do is work harder and at times that has been to his detriment. Hopefully a couple of goals will give him a bit of confidence and his game might improve. I agree with Stringvest whilst he is scoring goals keep him in the team. Long term he needs shipping out as he is lacking too many of the fundamentals that the best teams in this league need.

What does he lack? He can pass and move, is good in the air, has unparallelled reserves of stamina, has a great touch and knows where the back of the net it? Inter proved that.

You can argue that he isn't producing it consistently but to argue it isn't there would just be plain wrong.

Why would you want a player in the team who is "ordinary" and gave the ball away "numerous times"? You didn't want Kuyt to start the Inter game, judging by your sarcastic comments early in this thread, so if you think he was "ordinary" and gave the ball away too much I can't see what happened in those 90 minutes to make you change your mind (save for a deflected goal which most have put down to luck).

simple. He scored a goal. That's two in two games. I don't care how they go in. If he keeps delivering like that, there's no way I want him dropped.

I know this is difficult for you to take on board, but my opinion is he really doesn't have a great touch, his distribution is terrible, and his running round is unintelligent and ineffective, and when he doesn't score, he brings little else to the team - in fact, in some games this season, he has had a negative effect. If you watch the games he's played this season (you can watch highlights of them all on lfctv i think) you will see that I'm not making this stuff up to have a go at him. I fully understand why you and Stu Monty etc defend him to the hilt, but when you can't see when a player is obviously stinking the place out, then there's no point debating this with you. His lively but ordinary performance has been elevated to something it clearly wasn't by his fanbase, and that's fine. It's wrong though.

What does he lack? He can pass and move, is good in the air, has unparallelled reserves of stamina, has a great touch and knows where the back of the net it? Inter proved that.

You can argue that he isn't producing it consistently but to argue it isn't there would just be plain wrong.

Stuart, I think he has a very ordinary touch by the standards of premiership players. In fact, it's been bad so overwhelmingly more than it's been good that it could be argued that when it is good, it's a fluke. He lacks pace, 'game intelligence', is slow to react, and is predictable and too often wayward in his distribution. For every performance like inter, there've been 10 as I have described.

Kuyt's touch is variable. Sometimes it's excellent but sometimes it's terrible.

Too much inconsistency there and that's why he shouldn't be a regular in the team, IMO.

Agree with that. I'm hoping his form up to Inter is just a lengthy bad run because if it's not he won't make it here.