You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 1 month later...

I read 'King Rat' by James Clavell for the first time since I was a kid this week (it was written in 1962). I'm often disappointed when I revisit books I loved as a kid but that was far from the case for this classic. A novel set in a Japanese concentration camp that hardly mentions the Japanese?

Like Lord of the Flies it concentrates more on the behaviour of humans taken out of their normal environment and is still up there as one of the best novels I've ever read.

Just finished East West Street by Phillippe Sands which is a brilliant (non fiction) story about a British lawyer delving into the history of not just the Nuremberg trials but his own family. Reads like a detective story at times and keeps you gripped til the end. Fans of Anthony Beevor will love this.

• Upvote 1

Read Mark Lawrence's Red Queen trilogy which sits alongside his Broken Empire books. It was good.

Now on Michael Connelly's latest which introduces a new cop to his LA setting: Renee Ballard. It's just as enjoyable as his Bosch and Haller novels.

• Upvote 1

Go for the LA Quartet.Blows the others you mentioned out of the water.

Well really enjoyed the first three, felt that they got better as I went, but Jesus they take come concentration remembering who everyone is.

I read 'King Rat' by James Clavell for the first time since I was a kid this week (it was written in 1962). I'm often disappointed when I revisit books I loved as a kid but that was far from the case for this classic. A novel set in a Japanese concentration camp that hardly mentions the Japanese?

Like Lord of the Flies it concentrates more on the behaviour of humans taken out of their normal environment and is still up there as one of the best novels I've ever read.

Just finished East West Street by Phillippe Sands which is a brilliant (non fiction) story about a British lawyer delving into the history of not just the Nuremberg trials but his own family. Reads like a detective story at times and keeps you gripped til the end. Fans of Anthony Beevor will love this.

My grandad had a copy of 'King Rat' and I read it in my early teens. Had completely forgotten about it. Must give it a go again sometime.

While its a f***ball book,I have to say that after years of promising to read it and not bothering to 'Inverting The Pyramid' by Jonathan Wilson is a superb read on the evolution of tactics and formations in the game. It took me a few weeks of reading a bit,forgetting about it,then reading it and so on before I finished it all but it is superb. I think there are human stories within it that are not just about the sport and its quite fascinating.

Maybe because I enjoy the tactics and formation side but others wont but I still enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

Never been into Sci-Fi books but picked up the first in the Wild Cards series from the library last week purely because it had George RR Martin's name emblazoned on the side of it. It was surprisingly enjoyable and I'm gonna go and see if they've got the second one over the weekend.

Has anyone else read them? Do they get better? Or worse?

Never been into Sci-Fi books but picked up the first in the Wild Cards series from the library last week purely because it had George RR Martin's name emblazoned on the side of it. It was surprisingly enjoyable and I'm gonna go and see if they've got the second one over the weekend.

Has anyone else read them? Do they get better? Or worse?

Don't know.

Just finished 'The Martian' though and would give it a co2 out of 10. A bit meh to be honest despite some humorous moments.

The Force by Don Winslow. A corrupt NYPD cop novel that is full of cliches. It's readable and entertaining enough, but far inferior to his West Coast surf books and even the DEA ones. His afterword contains thanks to Ridley Scott and various other movie people for buying the treatment for this before it was published. In other words, he's taken his eye off what made his books great and is now working with one eye on the movie millions. What a shame as it's clearly diminished his writing.

Now on the latest Dennis Lehane which already seems better a mere 5% in.

The Force by Don Winslow. A corrupt NYPD cop novel that is full of cliches. It's readable and entertaining enough, but far inferior to his West Coast surf books and even the DEA ones. His afterword contains thanks to Ridley Scott and various other movie people for buying the treatment for this before it was published. In other words, he's taken his eye off what made his books great and is now working with one eye on the movie millions. What a shame as it's clearly diminished his writing.

Now on the latest Dennis Lehane which already seems better a mere 5% in.

The DL one tails off badly.

• 4 weeks later...

The Alchemist. Been taking advantage of Google Play offers recently and this was about a quid and appeared to be okay seeing as it had been a bestseller for 25 years. It's shite, a badly written or translated self-help book disguised as a story about a kid who is a shepherd. Tosh.

Finished a few books recently (Myth of Meritocracy by James Bloodworth and Blair Worden on the Civil War).  I always start reading non-fiction and then put them down when distracted by something else, I'm pretty good at remembering what I've read so doesn't hit the reading experience much but it's annoying when I realise I have six books around the house part-done.

Anyway, both very good.  The English Civil War, Republic and Restoration is a period I was shamefully ignorant of (the curriculum when I was at school totally ignored it, stopped at the beginning of the Stuarts before going to the Modern World - which is pathetic when you consider how important that period was to the nation's constitution) - anyway, it's great.  The perfect overview and put a lot of knowledge about the Levellers and international history of the time into context.

Enjoyed the Meritocracy book a lot, very much preaching to the choir on a lot of it's points (my Mum went to the grammar from quite a poor background and hated it), the section on identity politics towards the end is well worth reading in particular.  The side-lining of class in the conversation is something I'd been thinking about a lot since reading into intersectionality so was quite validating to see that expressed.

Now back onto some fiction for something lighter (Breakfast of Champions because I realised from one of these threads that I'd never read any Vonnegut) and also picked Sapiens back up (had put it down when I got to the modern era, as I'd predicted) because I've bought a Carl Sagan book which focused on human development so thought I really should finish one before moving onto the other...

Also dropping into Hot Water Music by Bukowski here and there. The man could write about shit on a wall and it would feel profound.

Recently been back through all of the Flashman papers and they are still absolutely brilliant. Full of historic detail and although Flashman is fictional the activities and actions of the period are all very well documented and his place in them always fits. I can't reccomend them highly enough.

Now I'm back onto The Mortdecai Trilogy, forget that abortion that Johnny Depp was in. The books are absolutely excellent, like a cross between Bond, Marlowe and Wooster. I've read them multiple times now and they never fail to entertain. 

The DL one tails off badly.

Yep. Gave up on it.

Re-read Shogun by James Clavell which I haven't read in 30-odd years. It was boss.

Since The Given Day he seems to have been steadily declining. 

• Upvote 1

I am struggling to find anything as good as The Bosch and Charlie Parker Books ( I have read Michael Connellys other stuff.)

Try these series if you haven't already

Lawrence Block - Matthew Scudder novels

James Lee Burke - Dave Robicheaux novels

Robert Crais - Elvis Cole/Joe Pike novels

James Ellroy - The L.A. Quartet novels

Joe R. Lansdale - Hap and Leonard novels

Dennis Lehane - Kenzie-Gennaro novels

• Upvote 1

Try these series if you haven't already

Lawrence Block - Matthew Scudder novels

James Lee Burke - Dave Robicheaux novels

Robert Crais - Elvis Cole/Joe Pike novels