You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ruben Amorim

Gyökeres looks a handful for Sporting. 

Makes you wonder how none of the non top 6 in the premier league took a pint while he was at Coventry. Or how Brighton with all their data sold him for 1.2ml

Sporting 1 down

Israel with the mistake

Amorim out

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

All over Twitter that Amorim has no idea where to play Trent.

He should play as one of the midfield/Wingbacks. 

I'm not sure some the players we have are suited to his system at all. 

Szobszlai,Jones,Elliot all seem out of place unless you play them wide.

The concern i would have with Amorim is that if he is really wedded to this 343 then you need to rip up everything the academy is doing aswell, they are all trained to play the way the first team do so if that changes so do they. Personally i think a 433/4231 is far easier to adapt to with the players we have and to continue bringing the young players through. I think we could play a 343/352 but it leaves some players a bit out of position. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Chris said:

The only actually useful post on here in the last 24 hours. 

2 hours ago, Dapower said:

Who’s the Benfica coach?? 

14 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Some German fella

Keep up the good work man.

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Makes you wonder how none of the non top 6 in the premier league took a pint while he was at Coventry. 

Everton enquired about him but dropped out once they realised Coventry, rather greedily, wanted actual money for him.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Lee909 said:

He should play as one of the midfield/Wingbacks. 

I'm not sure some the players we have are suited to his system at all. 

Szobszlai,Jones,Elliot all seem out of place unless you play them wide.

I haven’t really seen yet how Amorim uses the full backs when attacking. 

Watching Leverkusen & seeing their stats it’s obvious that Frimpong & Grimaldo are significant goal threats.

Looking at Sporting’s stats, most of their goals this season have come through the front 3…. It doesn’t all seem as fluid.

I’m not concerned about the potential positions for Szoboszlai, Jones and Elliott - all 3 can play as a 10. Depending if Mo and / or Diaz leave, it might work to our benefit. 

8 hours ago, Lee909 said:

The concern i would have with Amorim is that if he is really wedded to this 343 then you need to rip up everything the academy is doing aswell, they are all trained to play the way the first team do so if that changes so do they. Personally i think a 433/4231 is far easier to adapt to with the players we have and to continue bringing the young players through. I think we could play a 343/352 but it leaves some players a bit out of position. 

That would have been the same had Xabi taken over and there would have needed some adjustments to the academy whoever took over. 

Again, I don’t think it’s a big problem. We seem committed to this high pressing style throughout the Academy and I think that philosophy is more important positions & formations. 

Younger players get played out of position all the time at youth level. It makes them better players (ie it makes them think / use other skills) and makes them tactically better. 

Just look at all our Academy players recently - Trent was a midfielder, Jones was a left winger, Bradley was a winger, Clark was a winger, Quansah was a midfielder, Nico Williams was a winger… even Gerrard and Carragher got shifted around the pitch and were able to do a very good job in whatever role they were asked. 

9 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Klopp admits he was an average player himself. The respect he has had to be earned.

Yeah, that was the point I was making. 

Although a better player than I originally thought he was, in a playing capacity, Amorim is still more Klopp than Alonso. 

Reading about Amorim, as a player, apparently he was the squad joker, big personality but when it was time to work, he was incredibly serious. Communication and man management seem to be one of his main strengths. Sounds like he also adopts this “I’m their friend but not their best friend” mantra. 

10 hours ago, Dicko said:

If he's as negative as Mourinho, hard pass.

I'd see the club burn before we played like Porto against Celtic.

Not sure if this includes last nights game, they’ve scored 77 goals in 26 games this season - 2.9 per game. 

The next top scoring side in Portugal are Benfica with 66 - 2.26 per game.

After that, Porto and Braga only have scored low 50’s - 2.1 per game.

So they are certainly the top scorers by a distance in Portugal. 

We’ve scored 65 goals from 28 games this season - 2.3 per game. 

I know the Premiership is a higher standard than Portugal, I don’t think almost 3 goals per game can be dismissed. Certainly isn’t negative. 

16 minutes ago, old skool tom said:

3-4-3 doesn’t suit …..

Trent (lack of pace forRWB)

Harvey,Sobo,Grav,Clark,Endo,Jones,Mac all fighting for just two CM places

He plays with 2 pacey wide men

De Zerbi is much more suited with his 4231 

Any forward thinking manager will not be wedded to a strict formation. He'll use the players he has in the most effective way he can and then try to tweak as he goes. We played 442 under klopp for the 1st 18 months when he was here. And if I recall correctly he wasn't a 433 man at Dortmund either. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u changed the title to Ruben Amorim