You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

34 minutes ago, Mook said:

He's a handsome devil but that is one shitey looking suit.

Think it looks pretty sharp myself.

I've had the same suit for 17 years though so what do I know really. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, KMD7 said:

The only sensible option

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Nah not quite the gravitas that we’re needing. The comeback king (beneath) could juggle Liverpool with his Talksport pundit job easily.

IMG_1356.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I think FSG will make a leftfield appointment next. A polar opposite of Klopp. I bet that relationship, despite the success, has been a tough one for them because I'm certain Klopp will have pushed back at them as much as he has been able to get away with. And made them work for it. I think they'll want someone a bit more bendable and compliant next 

I think they will be keen for another Rodgers type appointment. 

Id fit Xabi in that thinking. He is leftfield in terms of being up and coming and not a full on a list serial winner. And it's an easy hit for them as he will have a more straightforward bedding in period thano someone not with a history with the club. So that one makes sense.

But if it's not Xabi it wouldn't surprise me if it's someone not obvious. Someone like Iraola, who I wouldn't be averse to

o btw, I think his identity and style would be portable to us. 

Amorim maybe.

The girona manager - but I think he will be primed as guardiola's successor.

Moneyball.

I just hope they get it right. 

3 minutes ago, Augustus Beeby said:

I think FSG will make a leftfield appointment next. A polar opposite of Klopp. I bet that relationship, despite the success, has been a tough one for them because I'm certain Klopp will have pushed back at them as much as he has been able to get away with. And made them work for it. I think they'll want someone a bit more bendable and compliant next 

I think they will be keen for another Rodgers type appointment. 

Id fit Xabi in that thinking. He is leftfield in terms of being up and coming and not a full on a list serial winner. And it's an easy hit for them as he will have a more straightforward bedding in period thano someone not with a history with the club. So that one makes sense.

But if it's not Xabi it wouldn't surprise me if it's someone not obvious. Someone like Iraola, who I wouldn't be averse to

o btw, I think his identity and style would be portable to us. 

Amorim maybe.

The girona manager - but I think he will be primed as guardiola's successor.

Moneyball.

I just hope they get it right. 

That piece from Marca that @Code posted was interesting. They used some stats and a programme to figure out 3 candidates. One was very left field in name but his style us suited. Cant see it being him at all but a interesting read

In the event that Liverpool wants to go down the middle street and look for a lower profile but with a lot of projection and that also has a style similar to that of Klopp, a very interesting option is Kjetil Knutsen . The Norwegian coach of Bodo/Glimt has spent seven seasons growing a team that has proven, not only in its league (champion in 2020, 2021 and 2023) but also in Europe, to be very competitive. Furthermore, his contract expires at the end of the year.

Knutsen likes his teams to maintain possession through intense football . Does it sound familiar to you? Yes, like Liverpool. He clearly prefers back four systems , especially a 4-3-3 formation and usually maintains his playing style regardless of the opponent. Another similarity with the 'reds'.

Likewise, it does not shy away from transitions to speed up the game . In the attacking third, Knutsen requires a lot of willingness to run and a lot of progressive runs to attack the goal. His teams are considered to be in very good physical and mental shape.

Defensively , he likes high pressing , sometimes varying towards a midfield press in a 4-1-4-1 formation. Try to make this pressure as quick and aggressive as possible after losing the ball and thus regain control as soon as possible.

The data indicates that he is related to Klopp in two important aspects: he is a coach who usually has an impact with the changes he makes during a match (index of 7.9 out of 10) and who leads his team to improve the result and who usually plays always with the same tactical system (75%). Furthermore, he has proven to be a technician who takes advantage of the resources at his disposal , as indicated by his expectations index (6.2 out of 10).

Knutsen's main handicap is that he has no experience in a top-level league . But it is true that this has not always been an impediment to ending up demonstrating his category. Postecoglou, a revelation coach in the Premier with his Tottenham and whom we also analyzed in MARCA , could be a perfect example.

Liverpool's options for its bench are multiple. The future coach will depend on many variables and I am sure that even Klopp will advise them on the matter. Here we present three candidates, but there is no doubt that the range is much larger for one of the sweetest positions in European football right now.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/premier-league/2024/01/29/65b7912ce2704e8d258b4570.html

16 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

That piece from Marca that @Code posted was interesting. They used some stats and a programme to figure out 3 candidates. One was very left field in name but his style us suited. Cant see it being him at all but a interesting read

In the event that Liverpool wants to go down the middle street and look for a lower profile but with a lot of projection and that also has a style similar to that of Klopp, a very interesting option is Kjetil Knutsen . The Norwegian coach of Bodo/Glimt has spent seven seasons growing a team that has proven, not only in its league (champion in 2020, 2021 and 2023) but also in Europe, to be very competitive. Furthermore, his contract expires at the end of the year.

Knutsen likes his teams to maintain possession through intense football . Does it sound familiar to you? Yes, like Liverpool. He clearly prefers back four systems , especially a 4-3-3 formation and usually maintains his playing style regardless of the opponent. Another similarity with the 'reds'.

Likewise, it does not shy away from transitions to speed up the game . In the attacking third, Knutsen requires a lot of willingness to run and a lot of progressive runs to attack the goal. His teams are considered to be in very good physical and mental shape.

Defensively , he likes high pressing , sometimes varying towards a midfield press in a 4-1-4-1 formation. Try to make this pressure as quick and aggressive as possible after losing the ball and thus regain control as soon as possible.

The data indicates that he is related to Klopp in two important aspects: he is a coach who usually has an impact with the changes he makes during a match (index of 7.9 out of 10) and who leads his team to improve the result and who usually plays always with the same tactical system (75%). Furthermore, he has proven to be a technician who takes advantage of the resources at his disposal , as indicated by his expectations index (6.2 out of 10).

Knutsen's main handicap is that he has no experience in a top-level league . But it is true that this has not always been an impediment to ending up demonstrating his category. Postecoglou, a revelation coach in the Premier with his Tottenham and whom we also analyzed in MARCA , could be a perfect example.

Liverpool's options for its bench are multiple. The future coach will depend on many variables and I am sure that even Klopp will advise them on the matter. Here we present three candidates, but there is no doubt that the range is much larger for one of the sweetest positions in European football right now.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/premier-league/2024/01/29/65b7912ce2704e8d258b4570.html

Seems an interesting fella. 55 is no age by the way but is it too old for a potential 10 year project. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

You can’t be bringing in a bloke whose highest level of experience is the Norwegian league. 
He’d have no respect from the players whatsoever.

Not saying we should. Just saying its a interesting article and idea(not that it will or should happen). It is the sort of thing Spearman and his team will be doing and looking at the names that get churned up with data 

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Not saying we should. Just saying it’s an interesting article and idea(not that it will or should happen). It is the sort of thing Spearman and his team will be doing and looking at the names that get churned up with data 

Well hopefully not, because that would be pretty stupid data analysis.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

You can’t be bringing in a bloke whose highest level of experience is the Norwegian league. 
He’d have no respect from the players whatsoever.

I agree, they have been playing regularly in Europe though.

In 21/22 when Roma reached the Europa Conference League final, they were up against Bodø Glimt in the  group stage. Bodø Glimt won 6-1 at home and got a 2-2 draw away from home.

They lost to Roma later in the quarter finals, but they also won at home then as well. Not sure how many teams have put six past a Mourinho team, but Knutsen did. 

Bodø Glimt had lost their main striker and the best midfielder who also was their captain in the January window, but they still beat Celtic 5-1 on aggregate in the last 16 winning both home and away, before they lost out to Roma. 

Knutsen has dismissed the link himself though, saying he’s sure there are better options than him out there. 

As great as Klopp is and has been for us, for my money you shouldn't go back - when he leaves that IMHO is that...no coming back, it just can't ever be same.

There would be an unease as soon as we had some bad results and or him looking or coming across stressed or unhappy - the media would be pursuing a narrative....

The only way IMHO that Klopp manages us beyond this season is if he changes his mind about leaving and i am not at all convinced even if that happened that it would be right call - for me once a decision like this is made and made as carefully as it cleearly has been, it has to be followed through on.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Code said:

I agree, they have been playing regularly in Europe though.

In 21/22 when Roma reached the Europa Conference League final, they were up against Bodø Glimt in the  group stage. Bodø Glimt won 6-1 at home and got a 2-2 draw away from home.

They lost to Roma later in the quarter finals, but they also won at home then as well. Not sure how many teams have put six past a Mourinho team, but Knutsen did. 

Bodø Glimt had lost their main striker and the best midfielder who also was their captain in the January window, but they still beat Celtic 5-1 on aggregate in the last 16 winning both home and away, before they lost out to Roma. 

Knutsen has dismissed the link himself though, saying he’s sure there are better options than him out there. 

Yeah no doubting he’s done well, it’s still too big of a leap though. You’d want to see him at a bigger European league, say Germany or even Holland, plus doing well in Europe.

Has he had any offers from elsewhere?

50 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah no doubting he’s done well, it’s still too big of a leap though. You’d want to see him at a bigger European league, say Germany or even Holland, plus doing well in Europe.

Has he had any offers from elsewhere?

He has been linked with various clubs over the years, Ajax, Celtic, Rangers, Norwich, Brighton, Bournemouth among others.  Everything points to him leaving soon though, earlier this month one of the biggest shocks in Norwegian football just happened.

Bodø Glimt appointed Tromsø’s coach/manager as Kjetil Knutsen’s assistant. For those not familiar with Norwegian footy, Tromsø finished second in the league behind Bodø Glimt and are their big rivals in the north of Norway. 

Such a move is unheard of, and it can only mean that Kjetil Knutsen will move on soon, his contract expires after this season.