You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fulham (A) - EFL Cup Semi Final, 2nd leg - Wed 24th Jan 2024 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

After coming back to win in the first leg, this game represents a chance for the squad, so shorn of first-team regulars, to claim a place in the final, most likely against Chelsea, who play their second leg the day before. In many ways, the squad have exceeded expectations this season so to not reach the final at least would represent disappointment. That would be the case any time we don't reach a final, but this is a squad very much it its infancy such was the summer rebuild. 

The last League Cup tie between the two at Craven Cottage was in the 2nd round, 1st leg in September 1993. After a decent start to the league campaign, the wheels had fallen off Souey's side in September as we lost every league game without registering a goal, and we looked no better than in the previous season. As for Fulham, they were in the third tier and would be relegated to the fourth at the end of the season. Searching for goals, Souey handed a first-team debut to a young whipper-snapper from Toxteth, and this fella would write himself into Liverpool folklore. It's hard to think of many footballers who have had such a connection with the ordinary fan, but with Fowler it has always seemed like he was the ordinary fan living the dream of playing for the first team. He played like a street footballer, but his goalscoring instincts rivalled those of his celebrated strike partner. Fowler had a hand in all our goals in a 3-1 win. His deep cross from the right was played back across goal and bundled in by the unmarked Rushie after a defensive mix-up. Fowler's little chipped cross from the left was met by Nigel Clough at the far post, and ball looped into the far corner for number two. In the second half, Fulham grabbed a consolation and may have felt like they had a chance to level things, but Liverpool's 1990s talisman grabbed a debut goal his performance merited, finishing on the half-volley from Don Hutchison's deep cross from the right. It was an eye-catching debut but only a teaser for what he would inflict on Fulham at Anfield two weeks later.

Fulham's last game was over a week ago when they lost at Chelsea, so they've had a lot of time to recover and prepare. As far as I know, bar a couple of players away at the AFCON, they don't have any first-teamers out with injury. I would expect that they'll want to go at us full tilt so we have to guard against that. No sluggish starts to give them momentum.

Mo and Endo are away on international duty. Jurgen said in his pre-Bournemouth presser that none of the previously injured players would be ready for that game, but I am hoping that at least one or two become available for this one. We might be missing Curtis too as he looks to have picked up a hammy in the Bournemouth game, so it would be very handy to have some more experienced bodies available for this one. It allows a stronger starting XI and some stronger options to come off the bench. Regardless, make sure the players approach the game with no complacency or thinking they are already there. The right levels of motivation, concentration, attitude and application are a must from first minute to last. Complete the job and get to Wembley, and deal with that one once we get there. Get it done!

• Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Let's hope Jones is available for this. Same team as today should do it. 

I think it will be something like this, if Szoboszlai is fit. If he isn't, Elliott will start and one of the forwards would probably come in. 

Kelleher 

Gomez Quansah VVD Beck

Szoboszlai MacAllister Gravenberch

Elliott Gakpo Diaz

Subs: Allisson Konate Bradley Jones Jota Nunez 

The squad is getting really stretched right now, but all the kids and fringe players have done what's required of them when called upon.  That makes me confident that we can finish the job.

We are Liverpool, Traa-la-laa-la-laa.

Just get these beat, Reds.

They put a 'winter break'in then schedule a round of midweek fixtures.....more or less straight after it.

Laughable.

So we played today - we play midweek in cup, weekend in cup, midweek in league, then weekend again in league.

9 hours ago, Razoray said:

I think it will be something like this, if Szoboszlai is fit. If he isn't, Elliott will start and one of the forwards would probably come in. 

Kelleher 

Gomez Quansah VVD Beck

Elliott Gakpo Diaz

That forward line is a bit stodgy, if we go for that it would be a tough first half

8 hours ago, an tha said:

Kelleher

Bradley

Quansah

VVD

Gomez

Elliott

Mac Allister

Gravenberch

Jota

Nunez

Diaz

Bench: Code, Spearing, Dockers Strike, Konate, 5 Pinehurst Primary School kids.

Are the primary school kids going to be on each others shoulders in a long coat? Could add a bit of height when it goes into the mixer

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I'd go fairly strong for this one, then rotate for the next to set up the Chelsea game.

Konate the only real question mark.

Agreed. Apart from Keheller for Alisson, this should be our strongest 11 possible. 

Quansah can get minutes v Norwich. 

I’m expecting a very tough game. I hope we attack from the off and try to kill the tie early.

Preferably we get through without extra time or penalties so I’m not rushing for the last train back home. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

Are the primary school kids going to be on each others shoulders in a long coat? Could add a bit of height when it goes into the mixer

I am assuming this is directed at Elliott.

Bradley is a fair bit stronger in the air than TAA.

13 hours ago, an tha said:

They put a 'winter break'in then schedule a round of midweek fixtures.....more or less straight after it.

Laughable.

So we played today - we play midweek in cup, weekend in cup, midweek in league, then weekend again in league.

2 legged semi final for this tournament is ridiculous and they should scrap it. 

15 hours ago, Razoray said:

Kelleher 

Gomez Quansah VVD Beck

Elliott Gakpo Diaz

I'd bin Elliot from the starting line up personally, as has been said he just doesn't offer enough from the off. 

8 hours ago, Pidge said:

I'd go fairly strong for this one, then rotate for the next to set up the Chelsea game.

Konate the only real question mark.

By rotate you mean play kids? As we only have about 12 available senior 1st teamers as it stands - maybe less if Jones is broken again.

I wonder if Phillips might get a game weekend - unless we are sending him on loan again of course which then complicates things.

We desperately need bodies back and hopefully will have very soon - it is on a knife edge at moment and we have 4 games between now and 4th Feb.

5 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

2 legged semi final for this tournament is ridiculous and they should scrap it. 

Yeah but as i say the midweek league fixture is a fucking pain too - arguably negates the "break".

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

By rotate you mean play kids? As we only have about 12 available senior 1st teamers as it stands - maybe less if Jones is broken again.

I wonder if Phillips might get a game weekend - unless we are sending him on loan again of course which then complicates things.

We desperately need bodies back and hopefully will have very soon - it is on a knife edge at moment and we have 4 games between now and 4th Feb.

I think that's catastrophising a little.

GK: Alisson - Kelleher

FB: Bradley - Gomez - Beck - Scanlon - Ramsay (doubtful for loan reasons)

CB: VvD - Konate - Quansah - Phillips (doubtful for loan reasons)

MF: Mac - Jones - Elliott - Grav - Clark - McConnell

FW: Diaz - Nunez - Jota - Gakpo - Gordon

20 players here, most of which have already featured this season and two others that have previously featured, none of which I'd expect to let themselves down. That's what I mean by rotate, doesn't mean all of them play significant minutes but you play to the needs and risks of the game as we need to.

Hopefully we get some bodies back, but the Chelsea and Arsenal games are priority in that respect.