You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent- full back or middle

niallers

I thought he did OK today in an unfamiliar role. The question is, where on the pitch does his playing future lie?

He's as good at attacking space as debruyne,in my opinion. Examples are numerous but his pass to nunez against wolves in the cup where he broke into space and delivered a perfect ball. His round the corner pass to mane v burney at home last season, where he was in the de bruyne position are but 2 examples, and he wasn't too bad with his back to goal either.

Can he be moved into a quasi 8 role that removes a lot of his defensive responsibilities?

We all know he's not been great this season defensively, to put it mildly, but would we benefit from that bit of maverick free play from him in our rigid system for the rest of the season or beyond?

Could we use gomez at right back and let Trent wander in the right sided channel to quarter back balls to salah,Diaz etc,but also have him pop up like today and conjure a goal out if nothing.

I think something has to change in the end. He's targeted every game.

Long one and a bit ranty but these cunts drive us to despair sometimes and it's good to talk.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I said a few months back i'd love to see him tried on the right side of our midfield 3. He could still get wide enough to get his crosses in and with a more traditional fullback it would stop teams exploiting the space left inside and stop Konate getting dragged wide and leaving overloads so often. Think he could potentially do a good job there and its far easier getting a decent fullback at a good price than a midfielder in a world that the mancs want 60ml for McTominay

• Upvote 1

I think Klopp could evolve the team with a 3-4-3, with Trent and Robbo as the wide men in the 4. You could set up a back 3 with Virg as basically a sweeper, with say Ibou and Joe as the mobile defenders. It allows for a high line to be maintained and it puts Trent in the areas where he is most effective without requiring the defensive focus he's been criticised for lacking.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I think Klopp could evolve the team with a 3-4-3, with Trent and Robbo as the wide men in the 4. You could set up a back 3 with Virg as basically a sweeper, with say Ibou and Joe as the mobile defenders. It allows for a high line to be maintained and it puts Trent in the areas where he is most effective without requiring the defensive focus he's been criticised for lacking.

Who plays on the left?

I think the formation would be interesting but that Robbo would be in the back three. Diaz wide left in midfield, Nunez in the front three might work. Otherwise we would definitely need to carry an extra defender in the team.

Did alright today but it became a weird shape and the defence suffered slightly. Because of it. 

Might be worth a proper go if we had a decent backup that could slot in officially. 

He's a great player and is still young enough to adapt to a new position, Bale turned from a defensively suspect left back to a world class winger, no reason why Trent can't follow a similar path. 

If nothing else a change is as good as a rest, it'll improve him as a player all around by getting some experience in different roles, 

• Upvote 6

29 minutes ago, Trumo said:

100% this. 

Goals aren't scored from wide, so stop defending wide areas.  Martinelli can cross all day if we have 3 big central defenders in the box.  

Every attack is filtered through the middle of the area.  It's the kill zone.  You need bodies in there to stop conceding goals.  

I'd still play Trent centrally, we can find another RM with a bit more pace.  

I’d keep a 4-3-3, with Robbo staying put at LB - I don’t think he has the defensive issues that Trent has. Also, it (4-3-3) allows for a regular as-needed rotation between a delicate Thiago, Fabinho and / or any other solid midfielders coming through or incoming in the Summer. Trent with his offensive nous could make RM his own and yes, obviously he has to ball-win & tackle and track back, but the panic won’t be there from him or the defence, with a solid RB already in position, be it Gomez or whoever.

I mean, how could it be worse than we already have?

• Upvote 2

He started the season playing a weird kind of inside right position problem is we didn't change anything else so he had to play two roles and it failed but still we kept on doing it, it massively threw him under a bus in terms of taking the blame for a systemic issue. I'd take him out of the right back position purely because I don't think that's where he wants to play. The rest of this season can be useful if we use it to make changes in competitive games and see how things go. Play gomez right back and Trent elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why it's even a debate. I'm sure he could play there, same as I suppose Reece James also can. He has been one of the world's best right backs for 5 years and almost redefined the position. 

Yes he's been terrible this season, absolutely stinking. I thought after the first 30 mins he was excellent yesterday 

9 hours ago, Red Shift said:

I’d keep a 4-3-3, with Robbo staying put at LB - I don’t think he has the defensive issues that Trent has. 

By 'issues', do you mean Trent can't defend as well as Robbo, or that Trent has double the traffic down his side of the pitch?  

I think it's connected.

Trent can get pegged back by lesser players with pace running into acres of space behind our line.  What a waste of a player to have him doing that.  The oppo are scared of him, and we play into their hands by suppressing his impact on the game.  It's like playing Bellingham at right back because he's athletic. It's really fucking stupid from Klopp.  You don't get these players often. 

12 hours ago, Aventus said:

Did alright today but it became a weird shape and the defence suffered slightly. Because of it. 

Might be worth a proper go if we had a decent backup that could slot in officially. 

He's a great player and is still young enough to adapt to a new position, Bale turned from a defensively suspect left back to a world class winger, no reason why Trent can't follow a similar path. 

If nothing else a change is as good as a rest, it'll improve him as a player all around by getting some experience in different roles, 

that's a very good point re Bale

12 hours ago, Trumo said:

I think that might work better in theory than in practice.  Robertson isn't skilled enough - he only has one foot, and he hasn't got the guile or the passing range that Trent has.  

Using Trent as an inside right though - that could well work for us.  I'm sure that is where he'll end up.  I think for years Klopp has been trying to use Trent to solve two problems at the same time, with mixed success.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I'd see Trent more as a midfielder than a winger.  Just like Beckham.

Yes, and I think you Gomez (brainfarts aside) has the positional sense and nous to dovetail with him from fullback for this season, assuming he stays injury free. Ok, now I see a flaw in my plan.

Next season, Bradley and Ramsey should be available at RB.

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

I think that might work better in theory than in practice.  Robertson isn't skilled enough - he only has one foot, and he hasn't got the guile or the passing range that Trent has.  

Using Trent as an inside right though - that could well work for us.  I'm sure that is where he'll end up.  I think for years Klopp has been trying to use Trent to solve two problems at the same time, with mixed success.  

This is why I'd target Alphonso Davies for £60m instead of Bellingham. 

I think we've got too much to do in the transfer market to just lump £120m on one player.  I like the two Wolves lads, João Gomes and whasisname.  I'd also like Billing for some physicality.  

Still think we should sell Salah if the chance arises.