You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liz fucking Truss then.....

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Excellent final paragraph this from the Financial Times. Bloody hell.

This for me is why Labour could win the next election. 

Starmer has rebranded the party - rightly or wrongly - as a party these people feel they can 'do business with'. The next milestone on the horizon, probably closer to the election, will be a Murdoch press endorsement. 

22 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Chris Philp squirming on Sky News about putting the plan together for the 45p tax rate cut at the moment.

I hate Burley but Philp is one of the most hateful people this country has produced and he gets what he deserves here.. these people need to personally own their backstage ideas. Excellent question on what type of mindset do you have considering people are going to food banks to think about cutting the top rate of tax in the first place.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Financial Times not fucking about there. 

However, more worrying news oh the Freeport front. This thread is worth a read.

So basically they're making it not only possibly to pave over national parks, but they're making the planning process to do so easier too?

Lovely, not psychotic in the slightest.

21 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

Its quite something isnt it ? We saw Piers Morgan holding Torys to account with his line of questioning during the pandemic.  Burley is clearly capable of doing the same.  Really emphasises the sway the media has. Tory Laura went in harder on Truss than I thought she was but gave Reeves a grilling. I hate all this theoretical stuff - Labour support for fuel would end after 6 months and what would they do next, without taking into account what would need to happen pretty quickly for these to even come relevant debate.

To be fair any question to a labour front benches at a point when the Tories have a 80 seat majority is theoretical. They're not implementing their 6 month plan either, so if labour are putting it out there what they would do, it's not unreasonable to be questioned on it. 

10 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The tories will be forgivem even applauded fo their uturn. Its easy when the media is so willing to ignore or forgive your sins.

I think the section of the media willing to forgive them is getting smaller and smaller as we saw from that FT piece @Gnasher posted. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

To be fair any question to a labour front benches at a point when the Tories have a 80 seat majority is theoretical. They're not implementing their 6 month plan either, so if labour are putting it out there what they would do, it's not unreasonable to be questioned on it. 

I think the section of the media willing to forgive them is getting smaller and smaller as we saw from that FT piece @Gnasher posted. 

Of course, its reasonable to question what their intentions are. We need to know what they would offer. But it almost seems to the point that they provide the exact minutiae and detail of what those plans are. I would be less arsy about it, if the media were more consistent.

22 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This for me is why Labour could win the next election. 

Starmer has rebranded the party - rightly or wrongly - as a party these people feel they can 'do business with'. The next milestone on the horizon, probably closer to the election, will be a Murdoch press endorsement. 

Yeah theirs a bit of that. Plus the Tory lurch to the right has gone off the charts.

In fairness to many off the journos working there the Financial Times has sailed its own boat for a while. Journalists such as Sarah O'Conner has taken a knife to the Conservatives employment, growth policies for years. She and others at the paper supported Corbyn on the much criticised (at the time) free broadband policy. Another of their journos broke the big David Cameron/Greenhill scandal which helped start the demise of Johnson. 

It's been reported that Murdoch rarely reads nor takes much interest in the financial paper, unlike the big political shakers and movers in the main paper, which he watches like a hawk.

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Yeah theirs a bit of that. Plus the Tory lurch to the right has gone off the charts.

In fairness to many off the journos working there the Financial Times has sailed its own boat for a while. Journalists such as Sarah O'Conner has taken a knife to the Conservatives employment laws for the years, she and others at the paper supported Corbyn on the much criticised (at the time) free broadband policy. Another broke the David Cameron/Greenhill scandal which helped start the demise of Johnson. 

It's been reported that Murdoch rarely reads nor takes much interest in the financial paper, unlike the big political shakers and movers in the main paper, which he watches like a hawk.

It's interesting that 'traditional' conservatism seems to no longer exist.

The current crop's biggest opponents are people like Peter Oborne, Rory Stewart and John Major. 

Likewise in the States, some of the biggest opponents of Maga are former/current Republicans. 

It shows you how far to the right it's all actually moved. Conservatism has become a money-sucking cabal masquerading as white supremacy. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

Of course, its reasonable to question what their intentions are. We need to know what they would offer. But it almost seems to the point that they provide the exact minutiae and detail of what those plans are. I would be less arsy about it, if the media were more consistent.

I'm ok with it. Just as I'm ok with certain times the labour party can say "we have no policy because we don't have all the numbers" or something similar. One of the things for certain when we get rid of this lot, is labour not only need to turn up to an election to win, they genuinely need to have a plan out of this mess as the economy is in the absolute shitter - and I think it will actually help labour both to get elected and once they're in government if they're pushed into making sure that plan is well thought through. 

23 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Tories hate Britain should fucking trend everywhere make that a meme for the flagshaggers to suck. I've stopped with my tories are cunts comments and just asked why do tories hate Britain so much.

I really don't think they will. This has left us with increased government borrowing costs, higher interest rates, bigger mortgage payments and pensions fucked. A U-turn on the 45p is small fry with the fallout still to come.

Edit: was meant to reply to your earlier post.

11 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

I've just got a permanent Twitter ban responding to a tweet several days ago where they were showing the 30 point lead labour had over the Tories and how Truss is essentially killing the tories as a political force. 

My response was The death of the tories would be quite welcome. From a political perspective. 

Banned. 

Whatever murky and arcane mechanism Twitter uses to had out bans is not fit for purpose. It's obvious, that wanting the demise of a political party is not the same as wishing harm on an individual; in this case, it's the opposite.

• Upvote 1

Fucking hell this ones a beauty.

An awful lot going on in 30p Lee's head here, unfortunately non of its good. He's even talking about nicking birds eggs with his mates as a kid, as if he's Kes. He must've watched the tory cabinet making utter fools of themselves this past week and thought 'move over son it's my turn'.

He's obviously missed the announcement Weatherpoons are closing pubs. Unbelievable to think he was a member of the Labour Party not so long

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

An awful lot going on in 30p Lee's head here, unfortunately non of its good. He's even talking about nicking birds eggs with his mates as a kid, as if he's Kes. He must've watched the tory cabinet making utter fools of themselves this past week and thought 'move over son it's my turn'.

He's obviously missed the announcement Weatherpoons are closing pubs. Unbelievable to think he was a member of the Labour Party not so long ago.

Didn't he get kicked out of Labour for having some questionable views?

Woman scorned. 

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

He's obviously missed the announcement Weatherpoons are closing pubs. Unbelievable to think he was a member of the Labour Party not so long

What an appaling person he is.

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Didn't he get kicked out of Labour for having some questionable views?

Woman scorned. 

Yeah here's the brilliant film where Michael Crick catches him out whilst campaigning. 

Six minutes in the life of the modern politician. This is tv gold.

• Upvote 2