You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

5 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I've said it before but we should have just accepted the best offers on the table for those two this summer and just signed one player to replace them. Even an average level player such as a Ward- Prowse would have been a major improvement.

Where Chamberlain is concerned, we shouldn't have even cared about an offer, just told him in the spring we didn't want him, he could have a free and go in the summer. The only reason he's here is we wanted a fee, which gave enough time for the cunt to get injured again. I do get why they'd have wanted something for Keita, but surely we could have got 15-20 pretty easily? 

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Given the number of fans around the world, that’s not a bad idea. Then organise a massive online global poll among contributors to see who we buy. 

I'll check the data editor on FM23 and see who has the highest potential.

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Probably not. Unless the situation in midfield gets

even worse, in which case we may bring in a players worse than Tyler Morton on loan.

The midfield situation is already worse by virtue of Diaz and Trent being injured. It makes the 4 up front almost impossible if he's out for a period and milner will get more game time at right back as Trent is out. 

Clearly the club think that Henderson, Milner and co have a lot more to offer. Henderson does,in the right group players. He’s the elder statesmen and can replace Milner.

Thiago would be fine with energy and engine room men next to him. They’re good players still but need the right energy and mobile players around them.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

The midfield situation is already worse by virtue of Diaz and Trent being injured. It makes the 4 up front almost impossible if he's out for a period and milner will get more game time at right back as Trent is out. 

Got to be Gomez surely. He adds pace and more security on the right side. 

5 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Probably not. Unless the situation in midfield gets

even worse, in which case we may bring in a players worse than Tyler Morton on loan.

Can it get even worse.  We have Thiago with the others a mix of injured & shit or just plain shit or in Elliots case not a midfielder.

39 minutes ago, Freddo said:

Clearly the club think that Henderson, Milner and co have a lot more to offer. Henderson does,in the right group players. He’s the elder statesmen and can replace Milner.

Thiago would be fine with energy and engine room men next to him. They’re good players still but need the right energy and mobile players around them.

Agree. All team need balance don't they?

Even some of City's team aren't the quickest but are surrounded by players that mitigate it. 

We have just allowed too many of our spine age together. 

10 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

We won't be signing anyone 

I think you may well be right.

Signings won't be easy now anyway, unlike us, the big clubs in the top 4 wont be resting on their laurels and will be doing anything they can to ensure they stay there.  

37 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Signings won't be easy now anyway, unlike us, the big clubs in the top 4 wont be resting on their laurels and will be doing anything they can to ensure they stay there.  

It wont be any more difficult for us than it is for 99% of top level clubs around Europe. The issue isn’t however how easy it is, the issue is this club under these owners, doesnt look willing or capable of doing it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

It wont be any more difficult for us than it is for 99% of top level clubs around Europe. The issue isn’t however how easy it is, the issue is this club under these owners, doesnt look willing or capable of doing it.

They aren't willing to do it, I agree, and always have an excuse lined up. However one of the reasons they gave prior to us being in the CL was that players don't want to come here for that reason. Frankly that probably has some merit and so, if we do spend, we may well be shopping in a different tier.

While we have been in the CL the excuse, among many others, has been that players don't want to join a club where they aren't guaranteed to play every week.

At this rate that won't be an issue this summer. 

11 hours ago, Freddo said:

Henderson has zero to offer now; unless it’s in the realm of chasing shadows whilst players skip passed him, pointing and berating teammates for failing to prevent goals caused by his initial errors. 

We can possibly carry one end-of-career midfielder, that has to be Thiago as he creates and reads the game way better than Jordan ever could.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HBenn said:

I don't think we actually need 'big' signings to improve this dire midfield - just some good midfielders. Tchouameni, Bellamy or Valverde would have been ideal, but a Laimer, Jacob Ramsey or Chuckwuemeka would have improved us immensely. Anyway, I still have faith in our 'smarter than the rest' scouting team to come up with an inexpensive solution to rescue next season.

Don’t believe we need to rip up the squad and start again. All our problems stem from the midfield, fix that and we’ll be back firing again. 

We need to sign 2 starting midfielders to play alongside Fabinho. One of them should have been signed last summer and one this and not doing so has led us to where we are today. Need 1 in Jan and 1 next summer, 2 new midfielders along with Fabinho/ Thiago/Henderson rotating should be sufficient. 

Probably gonna need a forward to replace Bobby as well but 3 players over the next 2 windows should be beyond us. 

31 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

I don't think we actually need 'big' signings to improve this dire midfield - just some good midfielders. Tchouameni, Bellamy or Valverde would have been ideal, but a Laimer, Jacob Ramsey or Chuckwuemeka would have improved us immensely. Anyway, I still have faith in our 'smarter than the rest' scouting team to come up with an inexpensive solution to rescue next season.

I don't think we do either. The issue isn't is with identifying players, it's being allowed to buy them. 

All of the players we will likely buy this summer, whether we somehow qualify for CL or not, will most likely have been available this summer.