You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (H) - Tue 19th Apr 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't really care about what tribal nonsense football fans do, but I thought it was ironic that they sang that "Fergie's right, your fans are shite" a bunch yesterday. Quite sad when the team you support is so bad the opposing fans are really all you can sing about, and one's who were quite respectful to one of their club legends on the night, at that. 

The red-nosed old bully is still reasonably alert, isn't he? He could always let the club put out a statement about our fans, or their fans, that might reduce, just by a bit, the absolutely disgusting toxity that he personally encouraged, cynically and actively, right from the start of his time there in a bid to help galvanise his team to 'knock us off our perch'. It would be nice if he did a little something decent, like Kenny does quite often and so well, to show a bit of class. It would be unique in his case, but you're never too old to start acting like a force for good. I know he's got his wine and his horses commanding his time and attention, but it would be sad, as he sits there in the posh seats hearing all the bile he summoned up, if he doesn't feel even a tiny bit guilty for bringing so much hate into the game. Klopp gets success with decency and positivity. The old man should feel ashamed he didn't even try to do the same.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Nah not having that. He’s a shite pundit and always has been. 

Just because when he started out he was deliberately critical of the mancs to try and give an air of neutrality far too many fell for it. 

His ability as a pundit is on a par with his ability as a manager. 

The fact that he refused to criticise soljaskaar cos he was his mate makes his opinion invalid imho

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Without defending them in any way,its a picnic to what it was like in the 80s

I remember my first lpool/utd game in 88 and the atmosphere was utterly visceral

Remember in 85 when someone launched ammonia at them?

Imagine that now.

It's very tame now. Blaming Ferguson for bringing hatred into the game is a bit of a mad one, the 70s and 80s were absolute carnage by all accounts.

I know their S*n song bothers a lot of people but I would just let them carry on, it just shows the World what a shower of fucking mutants they are. Instead of crying about it, just drown them out with songs supporting our team.

Fuck them.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mook said:

It's very tame now. Blaming Ferguson for bringing hatred into the game is a bit of a mad one, the 70s and 80s were absolute carnage by all accounts.

I know their S*n song bothers a lot of people but I would just let them carry on, it just shows the World what a shower of fucking mutants they are.

Fuck them.

Yeah it definitely didn't start with Ferguson though he certainly ramped it up. 

Those 85 semis were supposed to be insane..last game I went to it wasn't even particularly hostile

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't really care about what tribal nonsense football fans do, but I thought it was ironic that they sang that "Fergie's right, your fans are shite" a bunch yesterday. Quite sad when the team you support is so bad the opposing fans are really all you can sing about, and one's who were quite respectful to one of their club legends on the night, at that. 

We were the ones singing that. It's been going on for years.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

Yeah it definitely didn't start with Ferguson though he certainly ramped it up. 

Those 85 semis were supposed to be insane..last game I went to it wasn't even particularly hostile

Those 2 semis were carnage to be fair. If the things that happened then were to happen now it would be headline news for days. 

Personally, I don't give a shiny shit what songs they sing, and that's because we sang Munich at them for years. Our fans have moved on and learned through tradgedy and living in modern world that mocking the dead is utterly shameful. The fact they haven't is their issue, and highlights what twats they are. 

Any other fans though, singing Hillsborough songs should be rightly called on it as they have no 'excuse' so to speak, and are just being cunts. 

1 hour ago, m0e said:

There was always animosity but he turned it into something far darker and I cannot believe anyone would honestly think it was in any way linear and 'natural'. In his desperation to create as intense a sense of competition as possible he turned it into pure hate and something that went far beyond any sporting contest. It was a disgustingly cynical move and the guttersnipe shouldn't be allowed to be excused.

3 hours ago, gkmacca said:

The red-nosed old bully is still reasonably alert, isn't he? He could always let the club put out a statement about our fans, or their fans, that might reduce, just by a bit, the absolutely disgusting toxity that he personally encouraged, cynically and actively, right from the start of his time there in a bid to help galvanise his team to 'knock us off our perch'. It would be nice if he did a little something decent, like Kenny does quite often and so well, to show a bit of class. It would be unique in his case, but you're never too old to start acting like a force for good. I know he's got his wine and his horses commanding his time and attention, but it would be sad, as he sits there in the posh seats hearing all the bile he summoned up, if he doesn't feel even a tiny bit guilty for bringing so much hate into the game. Klopp gets success with decency and positivity. The old man should feel ashamed he didn't even try to do the same.

I think I recall Ferguson making a request in their match programme for their fans to stop singing about Wenger being a nonce or something a while back? I think it worked too.

7 hours ago, gkmacca said:

There was always animosity but he turned it into something far darker and I cannot believe anyone would honestly think it was in any way linear and 'natural'. In his desperation to create as intense a sense of competition as possible he turned it into pure hate and something that went far beyond any sporting contest. It was a disgustingly cynical move and the guttersnipe shouldn't be allowed to be excused.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Who should I go and read now?

22 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Their best bit of possession all game. 

They sing their horrible songs to get a reaction and to try to upset us. They don't come anywhere near the effect of being genuinely laughed at and ridiculed.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I think I recall Ferguson making a request in their match programme for their fans to stop singing about Wenger being a nonce or something a while back? I think it worked too.

It was when he made the remarks about the prawn sandwich brigade.

Shite song in fairness. 

As is the Manchester is full of shit one. 

8 hours ago, gkmacca said:

It began well before Ferguson .

Older reds on here will probally be able to recall when it began..my guess is probally mid to late 70s.In the 80s it was unadulterated hatred on both sides.

After 89 it dissipated a lot but towards the end of the 90s it heated up again at their place.

Best away to go though .

10 hours ago, m0e said:

I do think there's an element of some of our fans singing it because we know what they will come back with.

I'd rather we didn't sing that song and goad them into it tbh, not saying it would stop them singing it but at least it's not us being the catalyst.

• Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Beno said:

Those 2 semis were carnage to be fair. If the things that happened then were to happen now it would be headline news for days. 

Personally, I don't give a shiny shit what songs they sing, and that's because we sang Munich at them for years. Our fans have moved on and learned through tradgedy and living in modern world that mocking the dead is utterly shameful. The fact they haven't is their issue, and highlights what twats they are. 

Any other fans though, singing Hillsborough songs should be rightly called on it as they have no 'excuse' so to speak, and are just being cunts. 

It's definitely becoming more commonplace. 

Utd and Chelsea are by far the worse...but there have been instances at arsenal,city and Leicester were apparently at it this season.

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

It's definitely becoming more commonplace. 

Utd and Chelsea are by far the worse...but there have been instances at arsenal,city and Leicester were apparently at it this season.

Have been to West Ham (Upton Park) and they were singing sign on and waving money at us. It all just got laughed off and once they knew they weren't getting a reaction they started singing always the victim. 

A fee of our fans tried getting over the divide to punch them and they were all made up.

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Don't know why you would think that?

Cup replays at woodison where like a war zone with fireworks used as mortars. Horrible era for football supporters.

2cdfgyx.jpg

They were terrible, it's a wonder nobody got killed.

I remember getting handed a flyer once urging reds and blues to join forces to show that Scousers were harder than Mancs outside one game.

Fucking crazy.

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

It began well before Ferguson .

Older reds on here will probally be able to recall when it began..my guess is probally mid to late 70s.In the 80s it was unadulterated hatred on both sides.

After 89 it dissipated a lot but towards the end of the 90s it heated up again at their place.

Best away to go though .

I'm only going to note once that obviously the animosity was always there. If you're going to ignore that point I'm not going to keep repeating it. And if you're also going to keep suggesting there was nothing but a natural evolution during Ferguson's time then there's no point i repeatedly pointing out that this wasn't the case. 

[And for those citing violence in the 70s - methodologically, if you don't know the problems of taking that out of the wider context of intense racism and violence during that particular era, in every ground and among all the fans, then they need to learn to be a bit more careful, or less manipulative. All of this eagerness to whitewash Ferguson is very interesting, though. Very interesting indeed.]

During the 60s and 70s there were still old fans who'd grown up when Busby was an LFC player and captain, and along with his own attitude, that tempered the rivalry. As did Shanks' friendship with him. Docherty and Atkinson were similarly respectful. If you truly don't believe that Ferguson consciously changed that, profoundly, then there's nothing I can do for you. I'm not wasting days in a discussion with the deaf.

• Upvote 2