You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

With Curtis I believe people are forgetting he lost a couple of months due to that freakish eye injury. He also would have got more game time in most seasons but for the avoidance of injuries by our other midfielders. Whilst he's got the skills to hold on to the ball well, he can slow things down by not passing one touch. I'd still back him to improve on that.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'm with you mate.

Really don't see him ever becoming a big player for us. He'll always be a squad player or he'll get sold.

I reckon he's got the talent, but the problem is how he develops at this key stage when he's fifth choice for a three-man midfield. Seeing how Elliott was used in midfield probably limits his chances of playing time even more. No idea if Carvalho might be used there too.

I'm just not sure what we'll learn about him - or he'll learn about himself - if he has another season of fleeting appearances. I'd really like to see what he can do on loan, as he's got so many assets to his game that aren't consistently being shown in this stop-start approach.

Feels like each summer we predict his breakthrough now, and come the following June nothing has really changed.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

He played 34 games in 20-21 and 27 last season. I realise quite a few of those will be as a sub. A lot of precautions were obviously taken over the eye injury. How many weeks was he out for? Wasn't there something else too? Covid?

He had covid alright, but I think he was out for a while with an eye injury if im not mistaken

22 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

He played 34 games in 20-21 and 27 last season. I realise quite a few of those will be as a sub. A lot of precautions were obviously taken over the eye injury. How many weeks was he out for? Wasn't there something else too? Covid?

Fair point. Not sure whether he had covid, or if that was one of those false positives I think we had?

Interestingly, on the point of his appearances being as a sub, just looked up his minutes played, and overall he's still averaging around 47 minutes per appearance in the PL. That's only 45 games mind, but it's higher than I expected.

5 hours ago, sh#t waffle said:

I just don't really see a particularly high ceiling with Jones. I realise those that watched him in the youth set up think he's hugely talented but he seems a little too slow in both body and mind to make it with us.

He's technically decent so he's always going to have moments like the Everton goal, but overall I think we usually look a worse side with him in it 

That mental slowness makes him seem disinterested in getting involved in the play . Could quote plenty of examples of talented players who seem to drift through games with flashes of brilliance . Works at likes of Southampton , spurs or West Ham . We don’t tend to let them have a long career here. Hope he steps up but sheer talent will not get him into our match day squad .

• Upvote 1

He's played 2,742 minutes(30.4 games) games in the League and Champions League in his career. He needs time. If we ended up getting our new midfielder this year I would loan him out to a club that will guarantee him minutes. Palace,Wolves level

Curtis was out with his injury for almost 8 weeks.

The first game he missed as a result of the injury was the Champions League tie against Atleti at Anfield on November 3rd.

He returned from the injury against Leicester in the league on December 28th - He was an unused sub in the 1-0 defeat.

He missed 8 Premier League games, 3 Champions League games and the League Cup quarter final win over Leicester - a game that he would certainly have started had he been fit.

He’d always been the main player at the youth levels, where everything went through him as he played wide left with the freedom to come inside and influence games from there.

Playing in a central midfield role for the first team is almost a completely different ball game. He has to learn the disciplined side of the game that he never had to worry about at the youth levels, he also still has to continue his attacking/creative game. That, plus the obvious physical demands that come with playing in the Premier League, let alone a Jurgen Klopp midfield.

The best place for Curtis is here with us - He’s 21, has 74 senior appearances, 8 goals and 10 assists under his belt. 

I have no concerns over Curtis’s ability or potential - He can become a mainstay in the Liverpool squad for years to come.

• Upvote 4

Interesting choice of wording from James Pearce in his article today. 

Said "as things stand" we are unlikely to make any more signings as we want "right player at right price" (not sure when there is a case of the wrong player but the right price!).

Sounds like there is a target in mind but that nothing will happen until they budge a bit on the price.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's a stupid reason, but the only reason to me there might still be a big signing is that the #10 is open and no one's taken it yet. And I imagine it's still possible a current player might take it later.

AB9E3DC4-D373-4FE1-AA3D-2AD9EC31E7AA.jpeg

4 hours ago, sh#t waffle said:

Fair enough. Can't say I've seen anything that makes me think he has it in him to dictate matches but I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I suppose the only thing that stops me being convinced he won't make it is the clear, genuine faith that Klopp has in his ability. I'm not an arrogant man, and I'm willing to concede he knows as much as I do (maybe even more!) about spotting talented footballers, so hopefully it is just a case of him playing within himself while he learns a new role.

I am with this too. Will be more than happy to be proved wrong but I don't think he will make it here with us. 

I am sure he will make a decent career out of football elsewhere but I don't think it will be with us.

5 hours ago, aRdja said:

I don’t think we’re ‘above’ it. Believe he have a buy-back clause for Brewster and Solanke. I’m okay with either loan or a sale with a buyback clause for Jones. I wanted to bring Jacob Ramsey in, and thought that Jones could really do with regular game time, and clubs tend to give their own more leeway than players on loan. 

I didn't say we're above it, I said it's not our model - there's exceptions to every rule. We don't have enough of them for it to be our model and we do want some of ours to succeed. I always thought we got solanke because we thought we couldn't not make money, but he did play a bit too. He certainly can't say he never got a chance which happens with loads of these Chelsea players. But I'm pretty sure even when it happens the buy back is much bigger than the selling fee, not 20-25 as you had mentioned earlier. 

4 hours ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

I seem to remember the covid thing came in the week he was due to be back in the squad too. There was a bit of bad luck there - but I think his lack of involvement was as much to do with his performances when he did play. I'm sure he'd been expecting a big step up from the season before and he probably did about the same. But that's ok, young players go up and down and have bits of luck along the way. But as I mentioned before, it's time to see more from him this season I think.