You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has any one ever...? Tell us about it.

Carvalho Diablo

On 13/11/2021 at 12:40, Carvalho Diablo said:

Has anyone ever...been involved in an accident which hospitalised you?

I'm 2004, I stepped onto the edge of a pothole in a pavement in Thornton le Dale in North Yorkshire, severely turning my ankle causing me to fall. As I put my arms out to break my fall and to stop me cracking my head, I broke my left shoulder. 

I knew I'd hurt my ankle, but the pain from my shoulder was  unreal.

I couldn't get up, so had to lay there waiting for the ambulance. When it arrived, they got me on my feet. I walked to the ambulance and they took me to hospital finding what seemed like every bump in the road on the way.

X Rays revealed that I had a fracture dislocation of the left shoulder, which was a diagonal break through the ball joint and about 3 inches down the shaft which had come through all the soft tissue except the skin and the knobbly bit had snapped off my right ankle.

They operated 2 days later, fixing the shoulder with a couple of screws and the ankle with a plate and 6 screws and 3 days after that they transferred me by private ambulance to Ormskirk hospital.

This was at the height of the MRSA problems that hospitals were having at the time, so they put me in a side room away from other patients where I stayed for 8 days until they let me home with my leg in a cast and my virtually useless arm in a sling. 

A shitty time was compounded with my leg swelling inside the cast which required another trip to hospital to open the cast and daily trips for a fortnight for injections of blood thinners and tests because of a suspected DVT.

The ankle got infected and refused to heal. District nurses were coming round every day to change silver ribbon they were having to feed into a large void under the skin which was the infection eating away the tissue. I came very close to losing my lower leg.

I ended up having a second operation to remove the metalwork which is when I 'died' on the table as mentioned earlier in this thread.

That wound also refused to heal. The ankle and lower leg swelled that much, you could see a reflection on the skin so I was on massive doses of antibiotics which didn't work so I ended up having a third op, this time with a local anaesthetic instead of a general because of the problems with the previous op.

The ankle was cut open again and washed out but not stitched, leaving it to heal by granulation.

It's never really healed properly, even after all these years. The ankle is still swollen and the scar occasionally splits slightly weeping that clear fluid.

They never told me officially what the infection was, but one of the district nurses told me to think along the lines of what was being reported on the news at the time which was MRSA. She said she wasn't allowed to actually say it.

The ankle break and all the palava that followed caused lymphodema which in turn has caused cellulitis and strep infections in the skin which caused sepsis and hospitalised me twice last year, and all from a fall.

Oh, and I lost 30% rotation in the shoulder. 

• Upvote 5

43 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I'm 2004, I stepped onto the edge of a pothole in a pavement in Thornton le Dale in North Yorkshire, severely turning my ankle causing me to fall. As I put my arms out to break my fall and to stop me cracking my head, I broke my left shoulder. 

I couldn't get up, so had to lay there waiting for the ambulance. When it arrived, they got me on my feet. I walked to the ambulance and they took me to hospital finding what seemed like every bump in the road on the way.

X Rays revealed that I had a fracture dislocation of the left shoulder, which was a diagonal break through the ball joint and about 3 inches down the shaft which had come through all the soft tissue except the skin and the knobbly bit had snapped off my right ankle.

They operated 2 days later, fixing the shoulder with a couple of screws and the ankle with a plate and 6 screws and 3 days after that they transferred me by private ambulance to Ormskirk hospital.

This was at the height of the MRSA problems that hospitals were having at the time, so they put me in a side room away from other patients where I stayed for 8 days until they let me home with my leg in a cast and my virtually useless arm in a sling. 

A shitty time was compounded with my leg swelling inside the cast which required another trip to hospital to open the cast and daily trips for a fortnight for injections of blood thinners and tests because of a suspected DVT.

The ankle got infected and refused to heal. District nurses were coming round every day to change silver ribbon they were having to feed into a large void under the skin which was the infection eating away the tissue. I came very close to losing my lower leg.

I ended up having a second operation to remove the metalwork which is when I 'died' on the table as mentioned earlier in this thread.

That wound also refused to heal. The ankle and lower leg swelled that much, you could see a reflection on the skin so I was on massive doses of antibiotics which didn't work so I ended up having a third op, this time with a local anaesthetic instead of a general because of the problems with the previous op.

The ankle was cut open again and washed out but not stitched, leaving it to heal by granulation.

It's never really healed properly, even after all these years. The ankle is still swollen and the scar occasionally splits slightly weeping that clear fluid.

They never told me officially what the infection was, but one of the district nurses told me to think along the lines of what was being reported on the news at the time which was MRSA. She said she wasn't allowed to actually say it.

The ankle break and all the palava that followed caused lymphodema which in turn has caused cellulitis and strep infections in the skin which caused sepsis and hospitalised me twice last year, and all from a fall.

Fucking hell.

Any compo?

44 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Duncan Alexander on Twitter: "last team to go down with a positive goal  difference too (1981)… "

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Won a three day family Paris Disney trip in Liverpool echo competition run by some opera company.

About 3 months later won a week's holiday to Egypt run by the same opera company in the Echo, swapped it for a week in Spain.

Both wins came with 6 bottles of wine and other goodies.

the-fast.gif

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Haha, that's not too wide of the mark if you take away the hat, tie, scarf, tash etc.

Ah mate, i apologise, in all honesty the whole tale sounds absolutely awful. My eyes widened with each paragraph, it just seemed to get worse and worse, hence the Alf thing. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Boss said:

Has anyone ever... saved someone's life?

When I was doing my teacher training a very long time ago we had to do a few days in a primary school.

First day I had to go to the swimming baths with a load of little kids. One of them jumps in and whacks his head on the side knocking himself out.

Jumped in and pulled the little swine out who came round and started hyper ventilating... thought he was going to die but we calmed him down and got him to breathe into a bag which worked. Paramedics came and took him to hospital where, I'm told, he made a full recovery

All very surreal 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Boss said:

Has anyone ever... saved someone's life?

Don’t know if I saved his life. But. Mate of mine when I was at middle school had cerebral palsy. Proper gnarly little lad, just threw himself into everything without a second thought no matter how much he fell over or hurt himself, cracking spirit. He had a bike, which I recall getting very reproachful words from his Mum about regarding my raised eyebrows as to how safe that was given his mobility, and he used to fly about their steeply inclined driveway on it at breakneck speed. 

Came haring down one day shouting to me, lost all control, flew off sideways and both he and the bike landed behind his Dad’s camper van, all twisted up together. He was going nowhere. Next thing the engine comes on and his old man starts backing it out sharpish. Your hero only ran towards the back of that van, with no sense of his own mortality or fear for the risks he was subjecting himself to, shouting how he was about to squash his second-born son, like an ant, and banging on the doors.

I don’t like to boast about facilitating his rescue from mortal danger, it was just the right thing to do. Bumped into him in an office job about ten years ago and he mentioned it immediately. I just shrugged my shoulders and said I’d do the exact same thing again right now without a moment’s hesitation, then walked slowly back to my desk past the hordes of swooning females.

• Upvote 11

33 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Ormskirk is lovely it twinned with that little town in Deliverance. It is known in as Hirsute Town in the North.

I don't live there, I live in Skem which is worse.

At least Ormskirk has an L39 postcode. I don't think they have purple bins though.

I shudder to think what Dalyan Pete's postcode is.

I mean he can't even get Asda sausages where he lives!.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

I don't live there, I live in Skem which is worse.

At least Ormskirk has an L39 postcode. I don't think they have purple bins though.

I shudder to think what Dalyan Pete's postcode is.

I mean he can't even get Asda sausages where he lives!.

Yeah living in Turkey does affect his sausage eating ooh err!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Don’t know if I saved his life. But. Mate of mine when I was at middle school had cerebral palsy. Proper gnarly little lad, just threw himself into everything without a second thought no matter how much he fell over or hurt himself, cracking spirit. He had a bike, which I recall getting very reproachful words from his Mum about regarding my raised eyebrows as to how safe that was given his mobility, and he used to fly about their steeply inclined driveway on it at breakneck speed. 

Came haring down one day shouting to me, lost all control, flew off sideways and both he and the bike landed behind his Dad’s camper van, all twisted up together. He was going nowhere. Next thing the engine comes on and his old man starts backing it out sharpish. Your hero only ran towards the back of that van, with no sense of his own mortality or fear for the risks he was subjecting himself to, shouting how he was about to squash his second-born son, like an ant, and banging on the doors.

I don’t like to boast about facilitating his rescue from mortal danger, it was just the right thing to do. Bumped into him in an office job about ten years ago and he mentioned it immediately. I just shrugged my shoulders and said I’d do the exact same thing again right now without a moment’s hesitation, then walked slowly back to my desk past the hordes of swooning females.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

On 13/11/2021 at 20:21, Bjornebye said:

I'm sorry mate, I might have a poisoned mind from years of the GF but as far as I'm concerned that means you got a magic wand from a Paul Daniels magic set stuck up your arse. 

“Paul’s magic wand” was clearly a code name they used as a couple. What I want to know is how you know this ?  were you the second sausage they liked to share as suggested by this photo ? 

6B9DFAC4-DB9C-4B14-8A02-BCD04B850BA9.jpeg