You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - 2nd Round - Elvis Presley vs Marvin Gaye

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - 2nd Round - Elvis Presley vs Marvin Gaye  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - 2nd Round - Elvis Presley vs Marvin Gaye

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/10/20 at 09:58

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Maybe some people just don’t like his music Howie? Crazy thought, I know. 

As I said, music is subjective. However, it’s sounds ridiculous to say Elvis Presley was lucky to win a music competition. You may not enjoy his music, which is fair enough, there are plenty of highly acclaimed artists that I don’t enjoy, but Elvis, like Michael Jackson, is by general consensus, one of the greatest of all time.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

That is a different statement. And as discussed early on it all depends on what criteria you use.  But as a solo artist - music, film, stageshows - there is no one to compare him to. 

Are we not voting on their music in this competition? I thought that was what it was all about. I’m not really arsed about his movies to be honest. Not like he’s got a Labyrinth in his back catalogue is it?

15 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Are we not voting on their music in this competition? I thought that was what it was all about. I’m not really arsed about his movies to be honest. Not like he’s got a Labyrinth in his back catalogue is it?

You can vote however you want - I am looking at the artist. Bowie gets points for acting and painting  - all were part of his art.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Thankfully we won’t be saying that because he’s getting knocked out by Big Marv. Unless the racists vote him through  @Paul

What's racism got to do with it? Can't people stop saying that word on here, or do they get marks for calling people racists while showing themselves to righteous?

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Elvis was lucky?? Heard it all now.

I will say it again, it is impossible for most of the younger folks to appreciate how huge Elvis was and his effect all over the world.

The most influential of them all when you're considering the development of modern music and youth culture in general He took black and white music out of their respective ghettos and fused them in a way which laid the foundations for everything which followed. Before Elvis, being young meant five years of minimal freedom followed by getting a job, marrying and behaving, thinking and looking just like your parents for the rest of your life. 

A lot of his music has badly dated (and I was never a big fan) but his influence can't be overstated. 

Just now, easytoslip said:

What's racism got to do with it? Can't people stop saying that word on here, or do they get marks for calling people racists while showing themselves to righteous?

Sounds exactly like something a racist would say. Hmmm. 

Oh, and I got a personal thank you note from Usher and a £10 voucher to spend in Dorothy Perkins for calling out all the Elvis voting racists. 

10 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Sounds exactly like something a racist would say. Hmmm. 

Oh, and I got a personal thank you note from Usher and a £10 voucher to spend in Dorothy Perkins for calling out all the Elvis voting racists. 

Blimey hmmm. Dorothy Perkins is a cracking shop though I always preferred Etam, you should get a nice frock for a tenner. 

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Worth a shout here -- 80 million records sold - sings and dances, been in major films, television shows, on Broadway.

Plus makes a shedload of dosh on the side. Good example of what we are talking about.

On a side note, has Elvis been in any good films? Can't remember any. It seems Ricky Nelson has been in more good films than Elvis.

19 minutes ago, SasaS said:

On a side note, has Elvis been in any good films? Can't remember any. It seems Ricky Nelson has been in more good films than Elvis.

King Creole and Jailhouse Rock were good. Got progressively worse though after he came out of the army.