You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

10 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Moutinho was the real class in that Wolves side, Neves has never quite made good on the promise he had as a kid. Not really his fault, but I think he believes his own hype a bit and probably overvalues himself. When no CL club was willing to bring him in as a starter he's decided to go elsewhere. The agents have run his career into a dead end, but at least he'll get paid. 

Tielemans would have fit the same mould as well, but Villa went for him. Don't think he gets in their first 11 so will be interesting to see how he fares.

Diogo Jota says hi.

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Diogo Jota says hi.

Jota is probably the career path they all hope for when they use wolves as a stepping stone - and i would think that applies to the agent, player and stepping stone club. like everything else in life, they can't all make it. it'll be talent somewhat, or right place, right time - if there's no covid, there's no liverpool move for Jota as we'd have gone for Werner. for me neves isn't good enough for a top english side, but nobody really got to see that till he got to Wolves. I don't blame him going for the riches to be honest. 

It's difficult to write off individuals as 'not up to it' in a team game. All good teams have 'average' type players and players often need to find the best club for their abilities. Off the pitch stuff is massive too with how their family settles,language barriers,popularity with team mates and so much else. Attitude often distinguishes the relative success stories from failures. Nowadays once you hit the top level you are set,unless you live and behave recklessly. This is not uncommon.

16 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It's difficult to write off individuals as 'not up to it' in a team game. All good teams have 'average' type players and players often need to find the best club for their abilities. Off the pitch stuff is massive too with how their family settles,language barriers,popularity with team mates and so much else. Attitude often distinguishes the relative success stories from failures. Nowadays once you hit the top level you are set,unless you live and behave recklessly. This is not uncommon.

that's what i meant really about right place, right time. I think Jota is in that category and luckily got his move and a chance in a better team. but he's the same age as neves and got that chance 3 years ago and was able to kick on. neves never tempted someone in, so never got the chance to improve in a better side, so he stagnated. I think it is too late for him now. Certainly in this league at least. 

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Moutinho was the real class in that Wolves side, Neves has never quite made good on the promise he had as a kid. Not really his fault, but I think he believes his 

Tielemans would have fit the same mould as well, but Villa went for him. Don't think he gets in their first 11 so will be interesting to see how he fares.

He'll start

Emery wanted rid of Douglas Luiz and didn't offer him a new deal. He'll take his spot. Bit surprised nobody has brought him in on a free

13 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He'll start

Emery wanted rid of Douglas Luiz and didn't offer him a new deal. He'll take his spot. Bit surprised nobody has brought him in on a free

Didn't realise he'd gone, but still McGinn, Ramsey and Kamara all better than him by a fair distance imo.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They never recovered after Jimenez broke his head.

Yeah, or Moutinho, Neto and that striker they bought last summer all getting big knocks too. But I think they'll miss Moutinho a lot more than Neves.

7 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Why not sign a quality RB who can beat a player for around 40 m and also defend and possibly weigh in with a few goals, even a decent wingback. Move trent to midfield proper and we have saved ourselves around 50 m quid.

Because we want to play with this new box midfield and no fullbacks? It's no coincidence to me we've let Ramsey go on loan and there's plenty of noise we'll let Kostas go. 

34 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He'll start

21 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Didn't realise he'd gone, but still McGinn, Ramsey and Kamara all better than him by a fair distance imo.

Luiz signed a new contract until 2026.

Douglas Luiz signs new long-term contract | AVFC

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Yeah, or Moutinho, Neto and that striker they bought last summer all getting big knocks too. But I think they'll miss Moutinho a lot more than Neves.

They went to shit after two pretty good seasons. 

Without either they will be lucky to not get dragged into relegation zone.

On 19/06/2023 at 10:07, Barrington Womble said:

This is a serious question, what type of player does strike you as the type to move to a league like that? Ronaldo and benzema are there, loads of other good players on their way. Did anyone see Gerrard going to manage there? Messi has signed for inter fucking Miami, they weren't even a football team till about 2 minutes ago who are so shite they've had Phil Neville manage them. I think just about all players would go there. They might not at the peak of their powers or at least while they're significant footballers in Europe (Salah for example), but I think they'd all go when they're on the slide and that's certainly where thiago is. Nearly nobody sees him as a choice here now, just some type of lucky charm off the bench if we can keep him fit and he could be earning 50m a year or something tax free and playing whenever he's fit. 

Gerrard has turned them down.

I think Thiago and Klopp both see him as an option here. Sure, he's on the slide, but rightly or wrongly I don't believe they're quite as scathing on his abilities as you are.

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Gerrard has turned them down.

I think Thiago and Klopp both see him as an option here. Sure, he's on the slide, but rightly or wrongly I don't believe they're quite as scathing on his abilities as you are.

He has now, but when I wrote the post the club had announced him. But he made a point of saying it was over "for now" , so in other words he found out he was picking a team which wasn't owned by PIF and the money wasn't mental, so he came home. I'm sure if the right offer lands, he'll take it. He didn't fly out there for the airmiles and night scene. 

We'll see with thiago. The fact the club are already pushing stories he won't be renewed I think tells you everything what the club feel about him. But it would seem as yet he hasn't got an offer to turn down. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd forgotten he's not even fit for this match. All the panic and worry about our lack of midfielders and this lad never enters the conversation. I'd fuck him off if Saudi come knocking, I'll fucking play until we get someone in. Absolutely pointless player, an anti-athlete. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'd forgotten he's not even fit for this match. All the panic and worry about our lack of midfielders and this lad never enters the conversation. I'd fuck him off if Saudi come knocking, I'll fucking play until we get someone in. Absolutely pointless player, an anti-athlete. 

Yeah, but what about that no look pass in march 2022?

• Haha 1