You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

I can't believe I'm saying it, but the sort of shister Labour need is someone like a Derek Hatton with a posh accent and brains.  They just don't have anyone with charisma who is passionate, able to play Johnson at his own game, and won't frighten the horses.  These metro mayors are just dull career politicians - they're all artifice and no substance.  What happened to brainy, principled politicians?  Anywhere?  

17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Unfortunately people need to forget Corbyn with regards to Labour 

When it comes to several of Corbyn's ideas/policies I think I have done, I'll always remember that at one point a Labour leader made me believe that things could genuinely get better for people in the UK though. It might not have been for long with all of the shit he faced but it was good when it happened.

I'll try to leave it there anyway before I get told to take it to the Corbyn thread.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I can't believe I'm saying it, but the sort of shister Labour need is someone like a Derek Hatton with a posh accent and brains.  They just don't have anyone with charisma who is passionate, able to play Johnson at his own game, and won't frighten the horses.  These metro mayors are just dull career politicians - they're all artifice and no substance.  What happened to brainy, principled politicians?  Anywhere?  

Labour have just made it even less likely that any will emerge.

I thought he spoke with some passion about a lot of things, health, care, law and order, education, taxation etc, things you would expect him to talk about and I'm interested to see how he plans to do these things once he's 'put some flesh on the bones'.

The heckling was a real low point, but I thought he remained dignified and dealt with it reasonably well, but there are huge divisions in the party which I don't like that need to be healed, but due to the depth of feeling, we're a long way from that.

I liked a lot of what he said to be honest, but that's not to say I'm completely in board with him.

I want to see him be completely ruthless with the Tories then perhaps we will see exactly what he's made of and whether he can actually lead the party into government.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Harry's Lad said:

I thought he spoke with some passion about a lot of things, health, care, law and order, education, taxation etc, things you would expect him to talk about and I'm interested to see how he plans to do these things once he's 'put some flesh on the bones'.

The heckling was a real low point, but I thought he remained dignified and dealt with it reasonably well, but there are huge divisions in the party which I don't like that need to be healed, but due to the depth of feeling, we're a long way from that.

I liked a lot of what he said to be honest, but that's not to say I'm completely in board with him.

I want to see him be completely ruthless with the Tories then perhaps we will see exactly what he's made of and whether he can actually lead the party into government.

He could have gone for their throats a bit more and brought up Kendrick, PPE contracts, Patel etc but didn't. He did come across well but a fucking long way to go. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

He could have gone for their throats a bit more and brought up Kendrick, PPE contracts, Patel etc but didn't. He did come across well but a fucking long way to go. 

Couldn't agree more.

By really going after them, he might be able to get more people on board with his ideas because let's face it, there is nothing more important than booting the Tories out of power.

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

Couldn't agree more.

By really going after them, he might be able to get more people on board with his ideas because let's face it, there is nothing more important than booting the Tories out of power.

Exactly. Apart from a few retweeted videos, all Kuntsberg has tweeted is about the heckling the fucking cunt 

• Upvote 1

The heckling was the first thing mentioned after the speech was finished and the first thing they asked Angela Rayner about.

It happened, fine to address it, but it didn’t need to be the primary takeaway from what was a decent performance from Keir. 

Of course, I’d be living in cloud cuckoo land if I ever thought it wouldn’t be. 

• Upvote 1

I thought it was ok although too long and too many mentions of his Dad. The heckling from a crazy eyed Momentum loon was just a news friendly gift to the media and I think he needed a Kinnock moment to knock that off the news agenda. The Torys will be happy with that, could have been a lot worse for them though I think the Boris is a trivial man will hit home. 

Just now, Captain Willard said:

I thought it was ok although too long and too many mentions of his Dad. The heckling from a crazy eyed Momentum loon was just a news friendly gift to the media and I think he needed a Kinnock moment to knock that off the news agenda. The Torys will be happy with that, could have been a lot worse for them though I think the Boris is a trivial man will hit home. 

Hit home to who? Most tories wont have bothered watching and the mass media are hardly gonna report it. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hit home to who? Most tories wont have bothered watching and the mass media are hardly gonna report it. 

I think its an point he's weak on. Turn the maverick charm into a character flaw. He's is losing popularity in the Tory party much faster than he is in the Country. They won't heckle him from the floor but he's really not popular with the grass roots of the party. 

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

The majority of grass root Tories are just the old Kippers and BNP now. Only Farage satisfies them loons, that's why they voted in the current racist blancmange. The nearest thing to Nige.

Up and down, I'm up the wall,
I'm up the bloody tree. 

• Upvote 1