You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

You can just imagine that sky wankfest in a few years time when Newcastle and City battle it out for titles year after year. Which oil state will win this year find out after the break. Its LIVE. Fuck off Martin you cunt

I thought it was all FSG's fault for selling Gini Wijnaldum?

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Newcastle are lucky that Norwich, Burnley and Watford have been equally as shit as they have this season. I think they will comfortably start to pull away from them three, then Everton as the season progresses. 

I think it will take them at least three seasons though to get to top four/six level. 

Id be amazed if newcastle go down now after the money they have spent and re inforcements they have brought in. Kind of inevitable I know.

Old Eddie might think he's made for life if they stay up but I can see them ditching him in 18 months if they havent broken into the top 4 by then.

Staveley seems to be learning on the job and I just wonder how much patience the Saudi's and Ruben brothers will have with her.

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Old Eddie might think he's made for life if they stay up but I can see them ditching him in 18 months if they havent broken into the top 4 by then.

Yeah he's the equivalent to Mark Huges at Man City. He will get them to a decent level, but then they will jib him off for a bigger name.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah he's the equivalent to Mark Huges at Man City. He will get them to a decent level, but then they will jib him off for a bigger name.

If they start to make their presence felt near the top of the table, I wouldn't be surprised if How Does Pep Do It? turns up there to continue his quest to save football after a year's break from City.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Id be amazed if newcastle go down now after the money they have spent and re inforcements they have brought in. Kind of inevitable I know.

Staveley seems to be learning on the job and I just wonder how much patience the Saudi's and Ruben brothers will have with her.

They’re not even interested in the football side. They just want to be able to use the club to purchase real estate in the centre. 

• 1 month later...

Wonder how many Toon fans will be condemning this?

The biggest mass execution in Saudi Arabia's history has seen 81 men killed in one day for terror offences, as the country's state television says criminals which included members of Al Qaeda 'followed the footsteps of Satan'.

The state-run Saudi Press Agency announced the executions, more than the 69 people killed in the whole of 2021 by the kingdom, saying they included people 'convicted of various crimes, including the murdering of innocent men, women and children'.

36 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The biggest mass execution in Saudi Arabia's history has seen 81 men killed in one day for terror offences, as the country's state television says criminals which included members of Al Qaeda 'followed the footsteps of Satan'.

The state-run Saudi Press Agency announced the executions, more than the 69 people killed in the whole of 2021 by the kingdom, saying they included people 'convicted of various crimes, including the murdering of innocent men, women and children'.

Highest execution day since the early 80s. Loads of people on twatter trying to justify it with whataboutery and saying the people executed were Al Qaeda members.

43 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

What aboot STANDARD CHARTERED, pet.

• Like 1

In the press room at Stamford Bridge Eddie Howe shifted in his seat. The Newcastle United manager probably expected the questions to come but it did not mean he looked remotely comfortable, or convincing, dealing with them.

Being asked to condemn the execution of 81 men in Saudi Arabia is not the most complex request but Howe did not feel able to do so. It meant that his non-response – only here to talk about football, that is his focus – was proof that ‘sportswashing’ works for the Saudis.

It particularly jarred when Howe added: “I am going to talk football. That’s all I am concerned with.” Really? Is that all Howe is concerned with? It was a statement that surely with hindsight he would retract or qualify.

This is not to attack Howe. It is possible to have sympathy for him in being asked to talk about such issues directly after a Premier League football match when his opening remarks referred to a different kind of injustice after Newcastle were wrongly not awarded a penalty against Chelsea.

It is also possible to have sympathy with him – and with Thomas Tuchel – for being forced to talk about subjects they have no agency in. It does not feel quite right to ask such questions in that environment but, equally, it is not wrong to do so. After all, it has simply never been the case that sport and politics do not mix: both are part of life.

Howe should not be beyond criticism, however. Having taken the highly-paid job at Newcastle, and knowing how high profile and controversial the takeover was, Howe cannot really complain if he is asked about the actions of the Saudi state.

He knew who the club’s owners were when he said ‘yes’ to that job offer. Newcastle is 80 per cent owned by the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia and the chairman of that fund is Mohamed bin Salman who is the Saudi Crown Prince. Did it not ever cross his mind to consider that he would be questioned about human rights in Saudi Arabia at some stage and he would have to square that? Did someone who is clearly intelligent and thoughtful and who does his research not, frankly, do his research and consider how it would affect him?

Nobody is denying this is a complex issue. The Saudis were allowed to buy into Newcastle by the Premier League once they proved the club was not ‘state-owned’ and once the piracy of television rights ended, the UK does huge amounts of business with the Saudis.

As one source close to the Newcastle deal said when it first became mired in difficulties: “UK plc is open for business with Saudi Arabia and so this should not prevent Newcastle being sold.” There was nothing in the rules to stop them.

Furthermore, the opening paragraph on the UK government’s Department for International Trade’s website reads: “The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is a high-income country. It has a large population, significant purchasing power and a growing reputation as an important destination for many foreign brands and companies in many different sectors.” The language almost salivates at the money-making prospects. There is no mention of human rights.

It means the UK exports around £8.6billion worth of goods a year – including billions in arms sales – so do managers and CEOs at Shell, GlaxoSmithKline, BAE Systems or Rolls Royce face questions such as those asked of Howe?

Even more pertinently, Boris Johnson is set to travel to Saudi Arabia for talks on oil this week as he attempts to move the UK away from its dependence on energy supplies from Russia. Government sources even briefed that Johnson has better links with Bin Salman than any other G7 leader and that the pair exchange WhatsApp messages. It will therefore be interesting to see how he handles questions on the Saudi executions (but then this is the Prime Minister who joked that the UK could become “the Saudi Arabia of penal policy” under Home Secretary Priti Patel).

The Saudis stand accused of buying their stake in Newcastle as an exercise to ‘sportswash’ their human rights record and the war in Yemen. Hiring a young, high-profile manager such as Howe means that, like it or not, he has allowed himself to be complicit in that - especially if he does not challenge it.

Of course, it would help Howe and Newcastle if a more senior figure at the club, such as co-owner Amanda Staveley, spoke publicly to address the issue of how compatible it is to work with the Saudi regime at a Premier League football club and what plans there are to improve the situation.

If Staveley did, she will undoubtedly argue that Bin Salman is modernising the Middle East state, as part of what is termed the Vision 2030 - a vision that has recently gone so far as to allow women to drive. Whatever next?

No-one expects Howe to go too deeply into such issues and no-one would really expect him to have the detailed knowledge to discuss any of them with authority. His primary concern is, of course, the football club, and he has to regard the club as his employer, and not the owners.

“I don’t know what to answer to that,” Howe said when asked how he felt about Bin Salman “ultimately” being his boss. Has he therefore not thought about it?

Howe is undoubtedly in a difficult position but it is also a position in which he placed himself. Unlike many employees at Newcastle and unlike the fans he was not there when there was a change of ownership. That raises the question as to whether a manager might ever turn down a job because of his concern over a regime?

It could happen one day but not, it seems, with Howe.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/03/14/eddie-howes-inability-condemn-81-executions-saudi-arabia-proves/

42 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

In the press room at Stamford Bridge Eddie Howe shifted in his seat. The Newcastle United manager probably expected the questions to come but it did not mean he looked remotely comfortable, or convincing, dealing with them.

Being asked to condemn the execution of 81 men in Saudi Arabia is not the most complex request but Howe did not feel able to do so. It meant that his non-response – only here to talk about football, that is his focus – was proof that ‘sportswashing’ works for the Saudis.

It particularly jarred when Howe added: “I am going to talk football. That’s all I am concerned with.” Really? Is that all Howe is concerned with? It was a statement that surely with hindsight he would retract or qualify.

This is not to attack Howe. It is possible to have sympathy for him in being asked to talk about such issues directly after a Premier League football match when his opening remarks referred to a different kind of injustice after Newcastle were wrongly not awarded a penalty against Chelsea.

It is also possible to have sympathy with him – and with Thomas Tuchel – for being forced to talk about subjects they have no agency in. It does not feel quite right to ask such questions in that environment but, equally, it is not wrong to do so. After all, it has simply never been the case that sport and politics do not mix: both are part of life.

Howe should not be beyond criticism, however. Having taken the highly-paid job at Newcastle, and knowing how high profile and controversial the takeover was, Howe cannot really complain if he is asked about the actions of the Saudi state.

He knew who the club’s owners were when he said ‘yes’ to that job offer. Newcastle is 80 per cent owned by the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia and the chairman of that fund is Mohamed bin Salman who is the Saudi Crown Prince. Did it not ever cross his mind to consider that he would be questioned about human rights in Saudi Arabia at some stage and he would have to square that? Did someone who is clearly intelligent and thoughtful and who does his research not, frankly, do his research and consider how it would affect him?

Nobody is denying this is a complex issue. The Saudis were allowed to buy into Newcastle by the Premier League once they proved the club was not ‘state-owned’ and once the piracy of television rights ended, the UK does huge amounts of business with the Saudis.

As one source close to the Newcastle deal said when it first became mired in difficulties: “UK plc is open for business with Saudi Arabia and so this should not prevent Newcastle being sold.” There was nothing in the rules to stop them.

Furthermore, the opening paragraph on the UK government’s Department for International Trade’s website reads: “The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is a high-income country. It has a large population, significant purchasing power and a growing reputation as an important destination for many foreign brands and companies in many different sectors.” The language almost salivates at the money-making prospects. There is no mention of human rights.

It means the UK exports around £8.6billion worth of goods a year – including billions in arms sales – so do managers and CEOs at Shell, GlaxoSmithKline, BAE Systems or Rolls Royce face questions such as those asked of Howe?

Even more pertinently, Boris Johnson is set to travel to Saudi Arabia for talks on oil this week as he attempts to move the UK away from its dependence on energy supplies from Russia. Government sources even briefed that Johnson has better links with Bin Salman than any other G7 leader and that the pair exchange WhatsApp messages. It will therefore be interesting to see how he handles questions on the Saudi executions (but then this is the Prime Minister who joked that the UK could become “the Saudi Arabia of penal policy” under Home Secretary Priti Patel).

The Saudis stand accused of buying their stake in Newcastle as an exercise to ‘sportswash’ their human rights record and the war in Yemen. Hiring a young, high-profile manager such as Howe means that, like it or not, he has allowed himself to be complicit in that - especially if he does not challenge it.

Of course, it would help Howe and Newcastle if a more senior figure at the club, such as co-owner Amanda Staveley, spoke publicly to address the issue of how compatible it is to work with the Saudi regime at a Premier League football club and what plans there are to improve the situation.

If Staveley did, she will undoubtedly argue that Bin Salman is modernising the Middle East state, as part of what is termed the Vision 2030 - a vision that has recently gone so far as to allow women to drive. Whatever next?

No-one expects Howe to go too deeply into such issues and no-one would really expect him to have the detailed knowledge to discuss any of them with authority. His primary concern is, of course, the football club, and he has to regard the club as his employer, and not the owners.

“I don’t know what to answer to that,” Howe said when asked how he felt about Bin Salman “ultimately” being his boss. Has he therefore not thought about it?

Howe is undoubtedly in a difficult position but it is also a position in which he placed himself. Unlike many employees at Newcastle and unlike the fans he was not there when there was a change of ownership. That raises the question as to whether a manager might ever turn down a job because of his concern over a regime?

It could happen one day but not, it seems, with Howe.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/03/14/eddie-howes-inability-condemn-81-executions-saudi-arabia-proves/

I'm not a fan of Howe and Tuchel getting asked these questions. I appreciate they are paid by the owners but they manage a football team, they have sod all to do with the ownership. Ask Staveley etc those questions not the team manager. it's vulture journalism. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm not a fan of Howe and Tuchel getting asked these questions. I appreciate they are paid by the owners but they manage a football team, they have sod all to do with the ownership. Ask Staveley etc those questions not the team manager. it's vulture journalism. 

True but you could legitimately ask them how they feel working for such owners and if they feel these events impact their day to day jobs. 

im sure we would just get a sanitised or deflected answer.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

I don't agree with collaring Howe or Tuchel. Go after Staveley. She's the boss and closest to the Saudis.

in this particular instance i don't see the issue with asking the question or Howe simply replying something like "i live and work in a country that doesn't employ capital punishment and wouldn't like to live in a country that didn't". they are quick enough to take money from these regimes, I don't see how they should get off with it. unless we believe sport doesn't create political pressure. which would make you question why players take the knee every week and we made a point of supporting Ukraine the other week. and indeed why these countries are there buying football clubs. 

if you don't want to be asked tricky political questions, don't work for a tricky regime. 

• Upvote 7