You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Had an email from the CEO at work this morning, all pretty normal stuff until they then started talking about staff sickness.

If you self isolate for 14 days you'll get SSP but it won't be recorded as sickness on you HR record.

If you test positie you have to self isolate for 14 days, you'll get SSP but it WILL be recorded as sickness.

Where's the fairness in that?

Sounds like a modern corporate twist on the Ol witch test.. if she drowns she wasnt a witch.

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm not having its representative of a normal environment for catch disease. Every other model suggests 60-80% of us will catch it and it's incredibly contagious. 

So, are they saying that 100% exposure = 100% infection?

Education secretary to make statement in the commons at 5pm.

Why the fuck are they doing these pressers/statements so late in the day?

If they are closing schools parents need to start planning asap.

They did this the other day when urging people to work from home after 5pm when people have already left for the day.

Fucking cunts.

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The problem is, there is no way we can withstand the 18-month supression with most people not working and all schools closed.

Exactly. Like all of these acts, there's always unintended consequences and if we went down that path in parts of the world where significant numbers would die of starvation. The reality is loads are going to die. We need to slow it down quickly enough to get a cure/vaccine. That Australian report is very promising in that regard, because if we can avoid a period of clinical trials, we can get it produced and get on with it in a small number of months instead of this 18 month cycle currently being discussed. 

2 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

If they are closing schools parents need to start planning.

They did this the other day when urging people to work from home at the same time when people have already left for the day.

Fucking cunts.

They're definitely closing.   The missus is getting texts about signing up to google class rooms and they need to go Friday to pick up books.   School shut until then. 

Seems to be the schools choice for now. 

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

So, are they saying that 100% exposure = 100% infection?

I'm not sure. I saw something on the news over the weekend that suggested 3 out of 4 contacts would result in a passing of the virus. It's what is deemed as a contact is the issue I guess. I could touch a surface where there was coronavirus, but if I cleaned my hands before my hands touched my eyes, mouth or nose, then perhaps that doesn't class as a contact? 

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm not having its representative of a normal environment for catch disease. Every other model suggests 60-80% of us will catch it and it's incredibly contagious. 

I don’t think enough emphasis is put on the fact these figures are the worst case scenario. People seem to be taking them at face value as that is the percentage that will be infected when that’s not necessarily true. 

That would probably be the percentage infected if we did nothing. But, belatedly, we are actually going to bring in measures to reduce this so I’m hoping we don’t see anything like 80% infected. I’m sure Whitty or Valance or one of the others said the other day they expect maybe 20% to be infected during the whole pandemic, though I might have misheard. 

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The problem is, there is no way we can withstand the 18-month supression with most people not working and all schools closed.

I’d imagine they will suppress it then go back to normal (as much as they are able) for a month or two then suppress it again. Far from ideal and will cause economic catastrophe, but what else can they do?

Seeing what happens next in China is the most important question for everyone. 

4 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

People over 60 should be self isolating now.

Should have been a week or two ago.

The problem is, that won’t be practical for everyone. Plenty of people over 60 still work. Others won’t have aequate supplies of food and other essentials, and given that supermarkets don’t have any available delivery slots, some people will have to go. Not everyone will family, friends or neighbours able or willing to help.

• Like 1

The supermarket restrictions on groceries are open to being exploited. What’s to stop someone going to Sainsbury’s, buying their quota of toilet paper and rice, then going back to three times more that day. The staff can’t monitor everyone. A modernised version of WW2 ration books is required.

4 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

If they are closing schools parents need to start planning asap.

They did this the other day when urging people to work from home after 5pm when people have already left for the day.

Fucking cunts.

I think it's a question of they pull in that days data, then make their choices on the next path, then issue the statement. It could be like the over 70s quarantine though that they announced on Monday evening but it's not enforced till the weekend. My guess is it'll be schools closed from Friday. 

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I don’t think enough emphasis is put on the fact these figures are the worst case scenario. People seem to be taking them at face value as that is the percentage that will be infected when that’s not necessarily true. 

That would probably be the percentage infected if we did nothing. But, belatedly, we are actually going to bring in measures to reduce this so I’m hoping we don’t see anything like 80% infected. I’m sure Whitty or Valance or one of the others said the other day they expect maybe 20% to be infected during the whole pandemic, though I might have misheard. 

I’d imagine they will suppress it then go back to normal (as much as they are able) for a month or two then suppress it again. Far from ideal and will cause economic catastrophe, but what else can they do?

Seeing what happens next in China is the most important question for everyone. 

I'm aware that's the do nothing scenario. But that's what they're trying to claim the ship was isn't it? And of course the problem with the "do something", unless it's a cure, at some point you have to stop doing something and head towards normal life and then all the same risks present themselves. 

Just now, Barry Wom said:

I'm aware that's the do nothing scenario. But that's what they're trying to claim the ship was isn't it? And of course the problem with the "do something", unless it's a cure, at some point you have to stop doing something and head towards normal life and then all the same risks present themselves. 

Sure, it’s a tough decision. Personally I hope we lock down for 2-3 weeks and see what happens in China. If it spikes again there we are pretty much fucked until we get a vaccine. If they keep a lid on it then maybe we have some other options. 

• Upvote 1

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the government would be taking decisions imminently on the possible closure of schools, with some already starting to send children home due to the spread of coronavirus.

Scotland will close its schools from Friday and the government in Edinburgh said there is no guarantee they will reopen before the summer. Wales has decided to follow suit. 

Britain’s education minister Gavin Williamson is due to make a statement to parliament this afternoon. 

Head-teachers have been forced to make unilateral decisions about closing as they struggle to cope amid rising staff and student absences. 

This comes amid confusion about why schools are advised to stay open when the government has stepped up advice to curb social contact to try to slow the spread of the virus. 

Britain has so far resisted pressure to follow Italy, France, and Spain by officially shutting schools. The government has said that school closures will not halt the outbreak and will deprive the healthcare system of workers who will be forced to look after their children. 

“The House (of Commons) should expect further decisions to be taken imminently on schools and how to make sure that we square the circle both of making sure that we stop the spread of the disease but also of making sure that we relieve as much as we can pressure on our National Health Service,” Johnson told parliament. 

Geoff Barton, General Secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders union, said head-teachers were saying they were struggling to keep their institutions open beyond Friday. Between a tenth and a fifth of teachers are currently self-isolating but the number is rising, he said. 

“It is becoming harder to sustain the staffing in those schools, some schools are having to send home year groups and some schools are starting to close,” he added. 

If the government decides to close schools it will alter the lives and routines of almost 9 million children, more than 500,000 teachers and million of parents. 

It's no secret that full lockdown is coming, they've said as much all along. They've said it's at the right time to halt the spread, of course that's probably half truth as you also need time to move resources around the country and get your troops and police prepared. 

I am struggling to think of anything outside of GTA V where a tank would come in useful for dealing with public disorder. Tanks crush things and blow shit up. 

Now maybe, just maybe those tanks are on their way to a bank!

3Dg0cJwXWSefBwiCEfWQGcMQMkT.jpg&f=1&nofb

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that a tank regiment are being relocated and they are not leaving their tanks behind because they need to be ready in case there's a war. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, davelfc said:

It's no secret that full lockdown is coming, they've said as much all along. They've said it's at the right time to halt the spread, of course that's probably half truth as you also need time to move resources around the country and get your troops and police prepared. 

I am struggling to think of anything outside of GTA V where a tank would come in useful for dealing with public disorder. Tanks crush things and blow shit up. 

Now maybe, just maybe those tanks are on their way to a bank!

3Dg0cJwXWSefBwiCEfWQGcMQMkT.jpg&f=1&nofb

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that a tank regiment are being relocated and they are not leaving their tanks behind because they need to be ready in case there's a war. 

They move tanks all time. Anyone who has used the motorways regularly will have seen that. The army are ready, leave has been cancelled, but it would seem unlikely they're sending the tanks in anywhere. We need to be more concerned if they were erecting massive tents to be temporary hospitals or something. 

• Upvote 1