You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it safe to come out yet? - by John Brennan

tlw content

Hang on, World Class manager based on what? A couple of Bundesligas when Bayern were a bit off their game? Lost cup finals?

He's won nowt in 5 years! And the reason for that is that he's lacking tactically!!

This. World-class. Ha. Showing his world-class coaching nous of late.

That’s some excellent hand waving of truly outstanding league championships ahead of one of the best ever sides to play football.

They won with 75 and 83 points, Munich were miles off the pace in the first of those seasons and finished 3rd, still miles off the pace in the second season!

If ever there was a chance for Dortmund, it was then!

They won with 75 and 83 points, Munich were miles off the pace in the first of those seasons and finished 3rd, still miles off the pace in the second season!

83 points in a 34 game season. That's almost 2.5 points per game. Wank, that. We'll certainly pay no attention to the fact that he inherited a side that was barely just over a point per game and had a goal difference of -12, sitting in 13th place. Waving away the achievements of another is smalltime. 

• Upvote 1

I've it several times: this guy can do no wrong in many people's eyes.

It's clear that he hasn't a clue how to fix our defence. He says he's sick of conceding goals like we have been doing. When, exactly, did this happen? It's been going on for fully two seasons now.

Nine conceded in five league games. What will that win us, honestly?

See this is the thing.

I have never said I wanted him gone.

This thing is gaining traction, ridiculously so at that. I'm all for judging people at the end of the season but that doesn't mean shutting up in the interim.

You're the one saying "its clear he hasnt a clue how to fix our defence" and "Its been going on for fully two seasons......." Id say its a pretty clear sign you want someone else who can 'fix' it. Why would you want to wait for a 3rd season?

I dont see how people who say a manager hasnt a clue and hasnt been able to fix what's broken for two full seasons can hide behind saying they dont want him replaced especially if he 'hasnt a clue.....'

So what, at the end of this season if he still hasnt a clue are you going to wait to see if the other hillbillies want him gone before coming out?

Hang on, I'm certainly not hiding behind anyone.

I'm one of the first on here to come out so strongly against him.

He's done numerous good things and if anyone had read the five or six pieces I've written since August they would see I've said that.

But he's got numerous faults and they're costing us dearly.

Do I think that he can bring us trophies? No I don't. Will I call for him to be sacked in September? No of course I won't. Will I lay off him for the rest of the season? No I won't, if he deserves criticism.

I get that he has supporters. I'm just not one of them.

He's more than capable of winning trophies, as his numerous trophies in Germany and two cup finals in his first couple of months here suggests.

This team is also capable of going on a run and destroying any side we play against.

We've had a difficult couple of weeks, not made any easier by our transfer market failings, but he has a long contract and is clearly putting the pieces together for long term success. You don't sack a world class manager. Even after a bad season (hi Rafa)

• Upvote 1

That's utter bullshit. The second Bundesliga title was won with a record points tally at the time and a 28-match unbeaten run. And, the Bayern team they beat in that second season was a quality one. Reached the CL final that year in which they were by far the better team and should have won if Robben could take a penalty. They also knocked out a Madrid team, that still holds the record for most points, most wins and most goals in a Liga season, in the semis. Yet, Dortmund dismantled that Bayern team in the DF-Pokal final with arguably the greatest performance seen in a German Cup final. It's one thing questioning his achievements for us so far, but downplaying his success at Dortmund on a shoestring is blueshite level of moronic revisionist bitterness.

• Upvote 1

He's done numerous good things and if anyone had read the five or six pieces I've written since August they would see I've said that.

Do I think that he can bring us trophies? No I don't. Will I call for him to be sacked in September? No of course I won't. Will I lay off him for the rest of the season? No I won't, if he deserves criticism.

More than capable of winning trophies as his two cup finals with us suggest?

The two we lost? Or another two I missed out on?

I dont see how anyone can say "Im one of the first..... to come out strongly against him" and "Do I think he can bring us trophies? No" and in the next breath say "No... I wont' call for him to be sacked.

What are you on, a fucking wind up? You dont back him to 'fix' anything and put things right, you dont back him and you dont appear to suggest he'll win us anything even if he does get us to a final. So what just is the point of keeping him on again, in your opinion?

Klopp had us contesting two finals and then we finished top four in the league. He's only been here for five minutes. Hopefully he can continue to build on the good start. There are defensive flaws but he has more than earned the right to build his team. I can't wait to see where he takes us.

I'll say it again, he got the team to 2 finals inside his first 12 months.

We lost one final on pens to man city, debateably the most financially doped club in the world at the time.

We lost the other, admittedly from a winning position, to a team that had won the competition in the previous 2 seasons.

This. World-class. Ha. Showing his world-class coaching nous of late.

This stuff is now petty and stupid and loses all credibility. Our last two managers put together couldnt hold a candle to Klopp and yet campaign to jettison him is gaining influence after a few bad results. One of those bad results was a creditable draw in our first game in the CL against an experienced European side. Yes,things are going pretty badly at the moment and the manager deserves a good portion of the blame but I don't think he is the only one and I'm surprised these owners are getting such a relatively easy ride for fuckin up their umpteenth transfer window.

• Upvote 2

More than capable of winning trophies as his two cup finals with us suggest?

The two we lost? Or another two I missed out on?

Fucking fat fingers repoed in error.

Also anyone calling for Klopp to be replaced needs to suggest who would replace him. So let's hear it Johnny.

• Upvote 1

I think the issue is the begrudging and sarcastic tone with which you do "praise" the good things he's done.

You barely use his name without a veiled insult or following it up with some sarcastic remark.

We get it. You don't like him. You've been given a platform to voice your opinion. Whether people agree with it or not, shouldn't you at least try to not come across as a... I dunno, xenophobic old fart that hates the German coming in and showing more passion on the touch line than you're used to?

Hang on, World Class manager based on what? A couple of Bundesligas when Bayern were a bit off their game? Lost cup finals?

He's won nowt in 5 years! And the reason for that is that he's lacking tactically!!

To be fair, he's the reason why Dortmund is what it is today. He totally rebuilt that club from a mediocre mess into a consistent top club. It was a phenomenal achievement and it probably does make him among the best. Few could have done what he did for Dortmund.

That said, you're right. He does have plenty of flaws as a tactician, as we can all see, and that was also apparent even when he was at Dortmund. A bit like Guardiola, he practices a very risky offensive style, making him prone to passages where he's made to look stupid. But unlike Guardiola, he's never had incredible means. That's just the way it is.

You could easily turn it around and say he's wasting his time at club like Liverpool and ask what he could achieve at a club that can dominate others financially. 

• Upvote 1

![/

Why? That's not our decision!

What a chickenshit answer. You just shit all over his achievements at Dortmund so tell us who we can get who is better.

Oh and if your suggestion actually ever won something you better be able to show how it wasn't down to some opponent being off the pace.

• Upvote 2