You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Theresa "MAY" not build a better Britain.

Guest Pistonbroke

I think it's a decent argument for first past the post, that an MP is representative of their constituents in parliament. And that has the potential to be a more representative form of democracy - particularly if the candidates are chosen by the local party members - than PR.

It's not a decent argument. If you really must retain a constituency link to keep up the pretence that MPs are glorified counsellors or whatever, then you can have larger constituencies with several MPs.

It's not a decent argument. If you really must retain a constituency link to keep up the pretence that MPs are glorified counsellors or whatever, then you can have larger constituencies with several MPs.

Well I believe it is a decent argument, so there! A smaller number of people voting can mean your vote carries more weight, therefore more direct acting democracy.

Obviously I do take the point that most people don’t vote for their local candidate. But they should!

I was looking for the Victory on Waxworld speech,

Rimmer: [Rimmer tells Lister of his great "victory" leading the good droids against the fascist droids] There are always casualties in war. If there weren't it wouldn't be war; just be a rather nasty argument with lots of pushing and shoving.

Lister: How many survived?

Rimmer: Well, we haven't had time to make a full official estimate. But at a rough guess, and obviously this is subject to alteration pending information updates, round about: none of them.

Lister: So you wiped out the entire population of this planet?

Rimmer: You make it sound so negative Lister. Don't you see? The deranged menace that once threatened this world is vanquished.

Lister: No it isn't pal, you're still here!

but also found this;

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed...

Hades has turned into some kind of Peter Hitchens on crack.

Incorrect. I support the end of traditional religion and the rise of feminism. These two factors will accelerate civilisational destruction and finally lift the veil of ignorance about our lowly status.

We are the most intelligent beings in the universe for the simple fact that any being more intelligent than us would have realised the futility of life and destroyed itself. I wish we get to that point as fast as possible.

Incorrect. I support the end of traditional religion and the rise of feminism. These two factors will accelerate civilisational destruction and finally lift the veil of ignorance about our lowly status.

We are the most intelligent beings in the universe for the simple fact that any being more intelligent than us would have realised the futility of life and destroyed itself. I wish we get to that point as fast as possible.

After you, Hades. After you.

Hades, on 12 Sept 2018 - 3:13 PM, said:

What you need Hades, is a little bit of neuroplasticity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OrNKnweutU

Whatever you think of JRM (and it amazes me anyone can find anything positive about him), doorstepping him when he’s with his kids and then slagging him off to the kids is fucking bang out of order, That cunt would have been eating his cap.

I don't think anyone would argue with that. People can disagree with politics all they want but MPs - let alone their families - should not be intimidated.

I don't think anyone would argue with that. People can disagree with politics all they want but MPs - let alone their families - should not be intimidated.

Indeed. I was quite disappointed with the reaction from some when Galloway was beaten black and blue by a Zionist. Then there was the obviously tragic, horrendous murder of Jo Cox.

I don’t know about the Rees-Mogg situation but bringing his family into it is clearly not on. It’s not their fault their father is a bloody curdling cunt.

Yes my heart bleeds for them. Very telling that everybody is so outraged by this yet not a word is spoken about the active contribution Mogg (and the rest of his god forsaken party) is making towards the indiscriminate mass slaughtering of kids in Yemen.

Should leave his kids out of it.

Him, however...

I don't know. I just can't give a fuck about anything happening to him considering the sort of things he represents.

Indeed. I was quite disappointed with the reaction from some when Galloway was beaten black and blue by a Zionist. Then there was the obviously tragic, horrendous murder of Jo Cox.

I don’t know about the Rees-Mogg situation but bringing his family into it is clearly not on. It’s not their fault their father is a bloody curdling cunt.

The problem with the whole right/left thing  these days is it's like Liverpool vs the Mancs, they can do shit all day long but as soon as one of our let lets the side down it's crocodile tears and faux outrage all the way.