You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The most corrupt/thrown game you think you've ever witnessed

Moctezuma

Me mum and dad went to the San Siro in 65 and apparently that was bad, I believe the ref was found out some time later?

Oritz de Mendibil

I still remember the cunts name after 50 years

Most blantly bent ref in the history of the game.

Cost Shanks a European Cup Final at our first arrempt.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3tyiv_liverpool-v-inter-milan-1965-europe_sport

Oritz de Mendibil

I still remember the cunts name after 50 years

Most blantly bent ref in the history of the game.

Cost Shanks a European Cup Final at our first arrempt.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3tyiv_liverpool-v-inter-milan-1965-europe_sport

I saw some highlights of the game a few years back and it didnt look very dodgy at all,tbh. Well,the goals at least as that was what were mainly shown.

I grew up with my elder (kopite) brothers insisting that the Italian player kicked the ball out of the goalies hands. I was surprised when I saw the goal for the first time on LFC TV a few years ago.

Strange thing is, ex players were discussing the game and  before showing the goal,Tommy Smith had said that the player kicked the ball out of Lawrence's hands. They showed the goal,and Smith said,"see I told you"

Sometimes the myth overtakes the reality.

To be fair to my brother, he said Celtic had a perfectly good goal ruled out at Anfield in the 66 Cup Winners Cup tie that would have seen them through.

Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't.

The Chelsea-Barcelona semi final of the CL in 2009 I think, looked dodgy as fuck from that ref.

Was funny though with Drogba's 'fucking disgrace' outburst afterwards.

They had a case for a few of the shouts, though the handball appeals like the one Ballack went mental over weren't likely deliberate imo. Eto'o was about to take a piledriver into his mush from about 5 yards away so unsurprisingly attempted to save his facial features. Cue the hilarious ref chase and sobbing pundits on Sky.

When Mick McCarthy's Wolves took a reserve team to Old Trafford for a league game. He even said to the media beforehand that they were going to get bummed anyway so it was better to save his players for a relegation 6-pointer the following weekend. The Mancs won easily without having to break into a sweat - I think they played a bunch of reserves of their own because they knew the result was effectively in the bag. I think Wolves lost the subsequent 6-pointer too and got relegated that season.

When Mick McCarthy's Wolves took a reserve team to Old Trafford for a league game. He even said to the media beforehand that they were going to get bummed anyway so it was better to save his players for a relegation 6-pointer the following weekend. The Mancs won easily without having to break into a sweat - I think they played a bunch of reserves of their own because they knew the result was effectively in the bag. I think Wolves lost the subsequent 6-pointer too and got relegated that season.

This emphasises the corrupt nature of the PL itself. A team basically giving up before a ball is kicked and trying to prioritise another year in the pig trough of the PL as opposed to getting 3 valuable points is scandalous. I believe there is around a million quid per place prize money at the end of the season and McCarthy more or less threw that away in one fell swoop knowing another season would guarantee about 100 times in the near future. They deserved to get relegated but neither team deserved anything from the game.

The cunt ref (Mariner?) that Abramovich used to pay 50,000 per year to cut his grass gave Chelsea that outrageous penalty against us ... 

I can't remember when it was, but fuck me, I couldn't understand what was happening there.

Rob Styles? The one where Drogba jumped all over Finnan and somehow got a pen?

Rob Styles? The one where Drogba jumped all over Finnan and somehow got a pen?

It was Florent Malouda jumping into Finnan.  That decision still bugs me.  Styles was taken out of the firing line and put into the Championship for his next game, I think.  He also apologised and admitted that it was the wrong decision. 

After a few notable refereeing performances in the past games I've wondered if there has been anything else going on behind the scenes. 

I remember a game I saw in Croatia a good number of years ago that was an end of season match where a small team from Zagreb played Hajduk Split, the referee's performance was to a neutral observer's eye so obviously crooked I was surprised he managed to get away from the game intact. He gave an extremely dubious penalty, awarded Hajduk’s opponents endless unwarranted free kicks, allowed the other team to time waste endlessly and then ruled out a legitimate goal for the home team. Had it not been a dead rubber perhaps he may have been in more trouble.

In terms of Liverpool games the Internazionale European Cup second final second leg in 1965 is famed for one that was robbed from us (and prevented Shanks from having a crack at old big ears) , though this article seems to cast some doubt on this. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/did-italian-job-rob-shankly-night-of-dark-deeds-at-the-san-siro-794018.html

In my life time I always felt there was something odd about the 2005 Club World Cup final, I’m sure we had 3 goals disallowed for pretty much no reason, but perhaps I’m allowing partisanship to cloud my judgement. Can anyone remember else remember that game?

Aye, the World Club Cup final was a fucking outrage. Three perfectly good goals disallowed for absolutely no reason. No reasons given at the time or afterwards as I recall. Bent as fuck.

+1 and the first thing i searched for when i opened the thread. think I had froth coming out of my gob but it had been a very long night/early morning in my friendly local titty twister

I remember reading speculation - probably unfounded in all honesty - that the referee at the Heysel final was spoken to at half time by a member of the UEFA delegation and told to ensure that Juventus got the rub of the green in order to prevent even more trouble from breaking out in and around the stadium if Liverpool won the match. The referee awarded a penalty against Gillespie for a foul on Boniek which took place outside the box. Just trying to work through the logic of that suggestion isn't very straightforward.

It could imply that Juventus supporters were seen as a bigger threat than the Liverpool supporters therefore needed to be appeased. Is that because UEFA were aware of Italian fans' reputation despite doing nothing about it at any point in the preceding years (not least after what happened in the Rome final in 1984)?

It could also imply that UEFA were of the opinion that it's easier to ban a country's clubs from competition if one of that country's clubs isn't the reigning champion, which means the ban on English clubs was already in the pipeline before the 1985 final even finished. Was that decision taken in light of one tragic event or was it the straw that broke the camel's back?

None of the above is intended to make light of the fact that 39 football supporters died that night.

I remember a game at Anfield a few seasons ago towards the end of the season.

Chelsea and Man Utd were going head to head for the title- when Chelsea were about to play at Anfield.

I recall a dreadful  back pass ,from Steve Gerrard right to their striker who scored and Chelsea went on to win the Title.

It was almost as if Liverpool wanted Chelsea to win the title.

Imagine if a team going for the title were your closest rivals and you would spontaneously combust if you won the title. The other team in with a chance of denying your closest rivals plays your team. What do you do?.

Do you:

A. Have a good go at the team you are playing as there is an outside chance of your own team getting in the Champions league, attracting money and better players?

Or

B. Get loads of ex players and managers of your team to produce cringeworthy tshirts saying the taking part is all that matters and winning isn't everything. Doing this whilst posing in the stadium lounge with loads of the other team's ex players. Then produce a lame half arsed performance where your full back takes 60 seconds to take a throw in while you are getting beat?.

• Upvote 2

Chelsea and Man Utd were going head to head for the title- when Chelsea were about to play at Anfield.

I recall a dreadful  back pass ,from Steve Gerrard right to their striker who scored and Chelsea went on to win the Title.

What were you doing watching a Liverpool game?

• Upvote 2

I recall a dreadful back pass ,from Steve Gerrard right to their striker who scored and Chelsea went on to win the Title.

Nope, not ringing any bells. May have to borrow your DVD.

Stevie and terrible back-passes were not an uncommon occurance. He did it against France at Euro 2004, and he also did it in a league game at Highbury. Thierry Henry was the beneficiary on both occasions.

Imagine if a team going for the title were your closest rivals and you would spontaneously combust if you won the title. The other team in with a chance of denying your closest rivals plays your team. What do you do?.

Do you:

A. Have a good go at the team you are playing as there is an outside chance of your own team getting in the Champions league, attracting money and better players?

Or

B. Get loads of ex players and managers of your team to produce cringeworthy tshirts saying the taking part is all that matters and winning isn't everything. Doing this whilst posing in the stadium lounge with loads of the other team's ex players. Then produce a lame half arsed performance where your full back takes 60 seconds to take a throw in while you are getting beat?.

Nil Effort Citeh Optimum.

I know you wanted it to be Man Utd challenging but it was actually Man City.  Your team weren't involved because of some useless tit someone thought would make a good manager.

• Upvote 1

Do you:

Or

If you compare the stats from your home game against City and Everton's, they make interesting reading for those who think Everton didn't try that day.

LFC 10 Shots..City 13

LFC 4 on target...City 5

LFC 7 corners, City 7 Corners

LFC 47% possession

EFC  9 Shots,  City 18

EFC 4 on target  City 6

EFC  4 Corners .. City 3

EFC 59% possession

Hardly any difference really, unless you weren't trying either