You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The people vs OJ Simpson

Mook

Think this deserves its own thread, apart from not being sure about Ross from Friends in a serious role it has been a really good watch.

I can't remember an awful lot about the trial at the time but if a lot of stuff portrayed went on, fuck me, America is mental.

Also, what the fuck is going on with John Travolta's coupon? You get more movement from Christian Benteke.

• Upvote 2

It's good. Not amazing. But well watchable.

What's fucked me off though is how it became about something else rather than the death of two people. While the racism in the LA Police is something that should have been brought to attention, at the expense of two innocent people's lives is disgusting.

It became a circus in the end and this series sums it all up perfectly.

O.J. Is a massive cunt.

• Upvote 3

I would have found him guilty. No problem.

A monstrous amount of evidence. Even without the the tainted stuff there was more than sufficient for a conviction. A poorer and less well known defendant wouldn't have been acquitted.

After the acquittal he pledged his life to finding the real killers. I read a comment somewhere on t'interweb, it basically said that he must suspect the killer to be roaming around some of America's best golf courses, as that is where he appears to be spending his time searching.

• Upvote 1

I would have found him guilty. No problem.

A monstrous amount of evidence. Even without the the tainted stuff there was more than sufficient for a conviction. A poorer and less well known defendant wouldn't have been acquitted.

After the acquittal he pledged his life to finding the real killers. I read a comment somewhere on t'interweb, it basically said that he must suspect the killer to be roaming around some of America's best golf courses, as that is where he appears to be spending his time searching.

He's currently in prison for battering a friend of his isn't he?

Edit:

In September 2007, Simpson was arrested in Las Vegas, Nevada, and charged with numerous felonies, including armed robbery and kidnapping.[2] In 2008, he was found guilty[3][4] and sentenced to 33 years' imprisonment, with a minimum of nine years without parole.[5] He is serving his sentence at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Lovelock, Nevada.[6]

Check out the book "If I Did It", for a perfect definition of bare-faced cynicism.

Ben, which book?

There is one by OJ, which I assume you are talking about and then one called "If I did it..confessions of the Killer" by the Goldman family.

I suspect both are massively agenda driven, subjective and cynical.

• Upvote 1

Ben, which book?

There is one by OJ, which I assume you are talking about and then one called "If I did it..confessions of the Killer" by the Goldman family.

I suspect both are massively agenda driven, subjective and cynical.

Could be wrong here mate, but I believe they're exactly the same book, just with different titles.

If I remember rightly Simpson was as you say behind the book, ghost-written by someone else supposedly, but it naturally caused a huge outcry and they decided to shelve the idea.

The family of the guy murdered along with Simpson's ex-wife were then, or had been by that time, awarded massive damages against him in a civil case, but he never paid them a cent. They then went to court and were awarded ownership of and all proceeds from his book, having it reissued under the new title.

Having read some bits and pieces of comments from Simpson at the time, how it was a lucrative project brought to him which he couldn't turn down, but wasn't his idea or fault, it appeared to manage the seemingly impossible task of making him an even worse human than previously thought.

• Upvote 1

You have to wonder about someone who had it all, sports star, movie star, millionaire, all American hero, then gets off with a double murder in arguably the most famous trial of all time & just over 10 years down the line, he gets pinched for armed robbery & kidnapping & goes down for 33 years. Absolutely insane.

I don't know an awful lot about OJ Simpson but he must have the IQ of a gnat.

I was discussed with the wife during one of the episodes about where the moral compass of OJ's lawyers.

He's blatantly 100% guilty and they all knew it, the evidence is just too overwhelming for him not to be.

So, how could they act in the best interests of somebody they knew committed 2 murders?

How would they feel if he got off with it and then killed somebody else? I know he's in jail now for something else but what if he shot and killed somebody in those 'robberies'?

I obviously know the answer is 'it's their job, they are doing what they are paid to do' but it doesn't sit right with me.

Could be wrong here mate, but I believe they're exactly the same book, just with different titles.

If I remember rightly Simpson was as you say behind the book, ghost-written by someone else supposedly, but it naturally caused a huge outcry and they decided to shelve the idea.

The family of the guy murdered along with Simpson's ex-wife were then, or had been by that time, awarded massive damages against him in a civil case, but he never paid them a cent. They then went to court and were awarded ownership of and all proceeds from his book, having it reissued under the new title.

Having read some bits and pieces of comments from Simpson at the time, how it was a lucrative project brought to him which he couldn't turn down, but wasn't his idea or fault, it appeared to manage the seemingly impossible task of making him an even worse human than previously thought.

Having read the synopsis of 'both' books, that would make sense.

Although and there is a massive rider on this, they have been marketed as different accounts. And by different 'sources'.

I was discussed with the wife during one of the episodes about where the moral compass of OJ's lawyers.

He's blatantly 100% guilty and they all knew it, the evidence is just too overwhelming for him not to be.

So, how could they act in the best interests of somebody they knew committed 2 murders?

How would they feel if he got off with it and then killed somebody else? I know he's in jail now for something else but what if he shot and killed somebody in those 'robberies'?

I obviously know the answer is 'it's their job, they are doing what they are paid to do' but it doesn't sit right with me.

Everyone is entitled to the best defence possible, and it's up to the prosecution to make their case watertight.

Unfortunately, this obviously means that guilty people sometimes go free.

Nevertheless I find that infinitely preferable to innocent people being jailed.

Bear in mind that the OJ case was hardly typical, as his lawyers were essentially a bunch of his friends plus a few folk with an axe to grind against the government.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

You have to wonder about someone who had it all, sports star, movie star, millionaire, all American hero, then gets off with a double murder in arguably the most famous trial of all time & just over 10 years down the line, he gets pinched for armed robbery & kidnapping & goes down for 33 years. Absolutely insane.

I don't know an awful lot about OJ Simpson but he must have the IQ of a gnat.

The cunt is also responsible for raising the profile of that fucking knob Robert Kardashian and in doing so unleashing his fucking offspring into the world of crap celebrities. 

A guy I know from ante natal classes is a barrister and I asked him over a beer how he can defend people who he knows a guilty. His answer was interesting.

He basically said he can't defend them if they admit it, he's not allowed to, and at that point he must convince the defendant to plead guilty.

So therefore he's never in a position of defending someone who he knows is definitely guilty.

From there, he said the onus is on the other guy to prove he did it, and for him to do his best to give a credible defence.

It's a game for the defence, often. How hard can I make it for the other side to prove guilt, and that he prefers defence to prosecution because if the person is guilty, he's not supposed to win, and if he gets them off then he just did his job better than the other side did theirs.

He also said the thing about twisting the question and asking how can you attempt to prosecute someone you don't think did it, which is an equally valid dilemma.